TOD figures revealed

MaxPhactor23

These figures look fantastic. The best we've seen yet! I cannot wait for them to hit. Plus Indy’s satchel definitely looks like it opens. I’ll bet serious cash that you’ve got some scaled Sankara stones in that puppy.

phantom train

The packaged TOD figures look unbelievable! I've been waiting for a good line of figures from this film since the '80's. I never got the LJN versions beccause they looked terrible, but these put those to shame.

I hope these aren't too impossible to find when they come out in September...

inky_skin

MaxPhactor23 said:
I’ll bet serious cash that you’ve got some scaled Sankara stones in that puppy.

Sorry to disappoint you MaxPhactor23, but I believe the latest round of Hasbro Q&A confirmed that there would be no scaled Sankara Stones with this wave, and that they'd be coming as part of the Deluxe Line in 2009.

"Cool Toy Review: Well we have seen the TOD wave and what a fantastic wave it is! The only thing we have noticed that is missing is a sankara stone accessory. Will any of the six figures in this wave come with a sankara stone?

Hasbro: We did not include the stone accessory because it is planned to be included in another item in 2009."

Personally, I think that's pretty stupid. But then again this is Hasbro we're talking about :)

Arab Swordsman

inky_skin said:
Sorry to disappoint you MaxPhactor23, but I believe the latest round of Hasbro Q&A confirmed that there would be no scaled Sankara Stones with this wave, and that they'd be coming as part of the Deluxe Line in 2009.

"Cool Toy Review: Well we have seen the TOD wave and what a fantastic wave it is! The only thing we have noticed that is missing is a sankara stone accessory. Will any of the six figures in this wave come with a sankara stone?

Hasbro: We did not include the stone accessory because it is planned to be included in another item in 2009."

Personally, I think that's pretty stupid. But then again this is Hasbro we're talking about :)

It wouldn't be stupid if they were planning to put them in a TOD playset next year!

inky_skin

True. But Hasbro are getting a bit of a reputation for using key accessories to sell potentially peg-warming figures. "Want an Ark ? Should've got it with scene-specific Ceremonial Belloq - but you can have it with Map Room Indy instead. No matter, we'll sell it to you, slightly retooled for features it should've had in the first place, with another different figure next year".Still, as an excuse for a Temple playset it's a pretty good one. But I expect nothing less than actual glowing stones if I'm paying good money for additional plastic just to get three tic-tac sized rocks :)

Arab Swordsman

inky_skin said:
True. But Hasbro are getting a bit of a reputation for using key accessories to sell potentially peg-warming figures. "Want an Ark ? Should've got it with scene-specific Ceremonial Belloq - but you can have it with Map Room Indy instead. No matter, we'll sell it to you, slightly retooled for features it should've had in the first place, with another different figure next year".Still, as an excuse for a Temple playset it's a pretty good one. But I expect nothing less than actual glowing stones if I'm paying good money for additional plastic just to get three tic-tac sized rocks :)

You could just paint actual orange Tic Tacs with three white lines and use them with your TOD figures. Paint them and then put a clear coat over the whole thing and you'd have a pretty good substitute. The color might be a bit bright but you could pretend the stones are glowing.

inky_skin

It's a little known fact that the actual Sankara Stones could also keep your breath fresh...

Thanks for bringing some sorely needed comic relief to the boards Arab Swordsman ;) Things are getting a little dour around here.

Arab Swordsman

inky_skin said:
It's a little known fact that the actual Sankara Stones could also keep your breath fresh...

Thanks for bringing some sorely needed comic relief to the boards Arab Swordsman ;) Things are getting a little dour around here.

The alligators could tell you how orangy fresh they felt after eating some Thuggess!

Actually, now that I think about it this isn't a half bad idea. I might get some Tic Tacs and see if I can work them up into stones. The worse thing that'll happen is that it doesn't work and I get to eat the rest of the Tic Tacs!

ChromiumBlue37

Arab Swordsman said:
It wouldn't be stupid if they were planning to put them in a TOD playset next year!

Exactly! As I have said numerous times, a Kali Ma "sanctuary" would fit into the 12 scale, perfectly. So would the Anubis statue. These "statues" could be named, "Ultimate Relic Series" and double as playset accessories.

The first add-on the Kali Ma Statue could be the Skull Shrine with three removeable, light up Sanakara Stones. This would fit in nicely with the deluxe range and incluse the Temple Priest figure 3 3/4 inch equilalent from the Adventure Heroes line.
The second add-on would be the Sacrificial Cage with male victim, (removeable, but packed inside the cage) and a Temple Guard with a different head. The cage and chains could be attached to the Kali Ma Statue and the Skull Shrine would fit between her legs.

inky_skin

ChromiumBlue37 - I agreed with your thinking - modular is definately the way to go (incidentally, I'm already making 2 of the 3 Temple elements you describe - check out the Customs thread over the next couple of weeks). Compatibility between the 12 and 3 3/4" lines would mean that Kali / Anubis would have to be Hasbro figures. In your opinion, does the 12" Hasbro line have the level of detail that collectors would demand ?

Billy Ray

Wow, these look amazing! Even better than the proto pics! Love them all.

Gotta agree, Indy looks terrific, best Indy figure yet IMO. Looks like they dropped his working holster on Indy, which is fine since he didn't have his gun anyway. It does look like his bag opens! Shame he won't be cming with the stones, but at least we will be getting them down the line.

Guess that was Indy's whip around Short Round's neck after all. He looks great and perfectly in scale...some thought he wasn't from the original pics. Weird that he and Willie both come with knives though.

Willie looks much more like Kate Capshaw than any of the other females released so far look like their actual actress.

Both Thugee look great too, Giant Thugee looks even better now!

Mola Ram...superb! I think it looks like his headpiece is removable. He doesn't have any costume changes in the film other than headpiece on or off...but it would be just like Hasbro to milk that fact and make it permanent so that they can sell us the same figure without it down the line.

Arab Swordsman

inky_skin said:
ChromiumBlue37 - I agreed with your thinking - modular is definately the way to go (incidentally, I'm already making 2 of the 3 Temple elements you describe - check out the Customs thread over the next couple of weeks). Compatibility between the 12 and 3 3/4" lines would mean that Kali / Anubis would have to be Hasbro figures. In your opinion, does the 12" Hasbro line have the level of detail that collectors would demand ?

I would think they could get the detail down. In reality, both items are large stone statues and would have a lot of rough, rounded edges with not a lot if intricate detail. It would just be a matter of getting the correct shape down and then adding some minor detailing to get the stone effect into the plastic.

bonoferox

Still not happy with Indy's face sculpt, but the figure is still impressive. Mola Ram and the Thuggee guard are my two favorites, though.

Indy's face does look a lil elongated (nothing a good ole head-swap cant fix), however, i am still impressed as it is the figure ive been waiting for all my short life:D

tnswman

Arab Swordsman said:

Yea, the TOD items planned for 2009 will simply amaze us. A few people have seen the pre-production stuff ... Now we just gotta get Hasbro to approve.

Arab Swordsman

tnswman said:
Yea, the TOD items planned for 2009 will simply amaze us. A few people have seen the pre-production stuff ... Now we just gotta get Hasbro to approve.

C'mon man, you can't post this without giving us details! Give us some info on what's in the planning phase.

Snakes

How is "Thuggee" not PC? I would understand if it was "Evil Indian Cultist", but I don't see how calling them Thuggee would be any less PC than "German Soldier" or "Russian Soldier".

Leiter91

Indy still looks like:

Wallace%20and%20Gromit.jpg

But with a fedora...just had to point that out