The things you do love about Tod

Robyn

I still have complaints but I've been starting to appreciate Tod more lately(I don't know why) but for those of you who put Tod on the lower end of the list or have a lot of complaints about it, what were some of the things that you did love about it?

Meerkat

You mean...a person named Tod? (Lol)

Temple of Doom was one of my most favorite movies. I think the thing I liked most was Willie's squealing- annoying, yes, but also funny to listen to!

Rhys135

I love the opening credits, the Club Obi-Wan sequence, Shortround, the "We are going to die!" spike room and the last 20 minutes or so of great action.

Robyn

Lance Quazar said:
Tod and I have been friends since high school, he's extremely generous and fun to be around!

Go Tod!

You had to go and be a smart a$$ about it didn't you;)

Here's a list of things I loved about it:

Club Obi Wan
Their trip from the village to the palace
The spiked Ceiling
Shorty
Indy beating up the thuggee and freeing the slave kids
The mine cart chase
The rope bridge
The score!

Last edited:

JP Jones

ronicle said:

Here's a list of things I loved about it:

Club Obi Wan
Their trip from the village to the palace
The spiked Ceiling
Shorty
Indy beating up the thuggee and freeing the slave kids
The mine cart chase
The rope bridge
The score!
I agree with all of that. Plus , I know I'll probably upset you,but I liked Willie up to the thugee fight. Until then she really sold the part of a spioled 30's dancer.

Robyn

mr.kotcs said:
I agree with all of that. Plus , I know I'll probably upset you,but I liked Willie up to the thugee fight. Until then she really sold the part of a spioled 30's dancer.

Na! Doesn't upset me ;) I don't hate Willie, she's annoying but funny sometimes, I just disagree with her being the love interest:eek:

A couple of parts where she got a laugh out of me, were when she's running around jumping at all the night creatures, when she fainted at the eye ball soup, and when she slaps Indy

Zeppelin

ALL of the action scenes. Club Obi-Wan, spike room, fighting the thuggees, mine cart chase, rope bridge...even the ridiculous escape from the airplane has its charm.

ToD: questionable plot, excellent action.

Meerkat

ronicle said:
Na! Doesn't upset me ;) I don't hate Willie, she's annoying but funny sometimes, I just disagree with her being the love interest:eek:

A couple of parts where she got a laugh out of me, were when she's running around jumping at all the night creatures, when she fainted at the eye ball soup, and when she slaps Indy
I guess that's one thing we can agree on, Ronicle :D

pellman

The opening was a stroke of genius. A great way to do something completely different from Raiders. And I loved the dance number. It tells the viewer that not only are in a movie about the 1930s, we're in a 1930s movie.

My favorite moment in all of movie-dom: "Now let's get out of here." "Right. All of us!"

305.jpg

Shortround: "I gotta save Indy!" Willie (holding him back): "No!" Pause while Indy's getting his butt kicked. "Ok, save him."

313.jpg

The expression on Indy's face when he finally gets released from the voodoo doll.

320.jpg

Lance Quazar

ronicle said:

A better question would have been "What DON'T you like about ToD?"

For me, I love 99.9% of the film. I have a few very minor quibbles, but they are just that - minor and not terribly original (Not a fan of the culturally insensitive and juvenile gross-out business in the dinner scene and find Willie occasionally - but only occasionally - grating.) I can also admit that the Sankara stones are a fairly bland non-starter as a macguffin. However...

I re-watched the film recently and it is still a terrific entertainment.

The existence of KOTCS has only added to its uniqueness - ToD has a sensibility that none of the other films share and broadens the scope of the Indy universe considerably.

Darth Vile

For me, TOD is the Indy movie where is feels like everyone is just going through the motions. It's probably the most cartoon like and least subtle of all four. However, it does have some fantastic elements. The "There's nobody flying the plane" sequence is one of my favorite scenes from all the movies. I really like the concept of the Spike Chamber sequence, I think TOD has the best use of location footage and the rope bridge sequence is one of the best set pieces of any action/adventure movie.

The thing that sets TOD apart from the other Indy movies is its unrelenting pace. Virtually non stop from start to finish. This does have its downside, as the movie lacks any real sense of depth or substance. However, on the major plus side, because of that pace it's easy to get carried away... it's also very easy to join the movie at any part and instantly become involved in the action. :)

DocWhiskey

ToD is my favorite Indy film. I love everything about it. It's a very fun pulpy adventure film. I have a blast watching it.

Robyn

DocWhiskey said:
ToD is my favorite Indy film. I love everything about it. It's a very fun pulpy adventure film. I have a blast watching it.

Raiders is of course my favorite;) But I agree Doc, it is a blast to watch Temple! I guess my two major complaints are the stones and the heart ripping, the stones were so completely uninteresting to me, there should have been a much more exciting "treasure" for such an action filled movie, and also I never could figure out why they were so lazy on some of the special effects when they did such a fantastic job with them on Raiders:confused: But like I said, I'm really started to enjoy and appreciate Temple a lot more lately!

lao che & sons

Man, I'm glad to see TOD getting some love around here. but there's one thing that I love about it that hasn't been mentioned yet... THE NAME!

Indiana Jones and the temple of doom. That is the best of the tittle in my opinion. Don't get me wrong Raiders of the lost ark is awesome but Indiana jones and the temple of doom is seriously one of the best tittles or a move I've ever seen (then again there was also the empire strikes back).

Another thing I love about it is how realistic the character of Willie Scott was. What preppy nightclub diva from the 30s would NOT scream. I sure can't think of any. but come to think of it I can't think of ANY preppy nightclub diva's rrom the 30s besides willie.

I also love how closley this ties into raiders of the lost ark but how far away it still was. it had the same guidlines... 1. opening 2. explaination of the artifact... then once we move into the action you get first a temple scene just like the snakes scene in raiders but wihtout a creature. Then you get a huge fight just like the flying wing (even with pat roach!) then you get a huge chase just like in raiders. It really fit the guidlines of an indy movie without being Raiders 2.

And then there's the villains My favorite villain of all time... Chatter lal I don't know why but he is just really evil in my opinion. The there's Lao Che he was my favorite Indy villain for years but for some reason I've turned towards Lal. But just look at my username... it says it all! Mola Ram was great too, I have NO idea how they came up with the concept for him even after reading/ watching every little behind the scenes thing possible I can't figure out how the came up with that terrifying headdress.:confused: :confused:

Plus on top of all of that there's Short Round (wan li) 'nough said.

So the way I see it temple of doom isn't my favorite because of certain scenes *cogh cough* nightclub *cough cough* but It had alot of other meanings behind it too. it was also the first Indiana Jones movie I really remmember seeing. I did see Raiders but well i was a bit too young to understand anything in it. :p

Robyn

lao che & sons said:
Man, I'm glad to see TOD getting some love around here. but there's one thing that I love about it that hasn't been mentioned yet... THE NAME!

Indiana Jones and the temple of doom. That is the best of the tittle in my opinion. Don't get me wrong Raiders of the lost ark is awesome but Indiana jones and the temple of doom is seriously one of the best tittles or a move I've ever seen (then again there was also the empire strikes back).

Another thing I love about it is how realistic the character of Willie Scott was. What preppy nightclub diva from the 30s would NOT scream. I sure can't think of any. but come to think of it I can't think of ANY preppy nightclub diva's rrom the 30s besides willie.

I also love how closley this ties into raiders of the lost ark but how far away it still was. it had the same guidlines... 1. opening 2. explaination of the artifact... then once we move into the action you get first a temple scene just like the snakes scene in raiders but wihtout a creature. Then you get a huge fight just like the flying wing (even with pat roach!) then you get a huge chase just like in raiders. It really fit the guidlines of an indy movie without being Raiders 2.

And then there's the villains My favorite villain of all time... Chatter lal I don't know why but he is just really evil in my opinion. The there's Lao Che he was my favorite Indy villain for years but for some reason I've turned towards Lal. But just look at my username... it says it all! Mola Ram was great too, I have NO idea how they came up with the concept for him even after reading/ watching every little behind the scenes thing possible I can't figure out how the came up with that terrifying headdress.:confused: :confused:

Plus on top of all of that there's Short Round (wan li) 'nough said.

So the way I see it temple of doom isn't my favorite because of certain scenes *cogh cough* nightclub *cough cough* but It had alot of other meanings behind it too. it was also the first Indiana Jones movie I really remmember seeing. I did see Raiders but well i was a bit too young to understand anything in it. :p

Temple was the first Indy I saw also! But after I saw Raiders it blew the roof off every other movie I had ever seen and immediately became my favorite!! But now that you mentioned "a bit too young to understand anything" that clearly seems to be one of the biggest differences between Raiders and Temple, and also the reason younger kids seem to have more fun watching Temple, When you watch Raiders you have to think, guess, wonder, anticipate... But when you watch Temple you don't have to think, it's like a roller coaster, you just site back and enjoy the ride ;)

Lambonius

Temple was my least favorite for a long time, but in recent years, I think it's completely reversed itself in my ranking of Indy films. In light of the last two movies in particular (LC and Skull) TOD sets itself apart by being the most dramatically different in premise and formula than the others (even if it does adhere pretty closely to the established Raiders formula, it does so in a way that seems much fresher and more original than LC and Skull.) In addition to the much more original feeling setting, story, and tone, the Thuggees just kick so much ass as bad guys that they pretty much make the film for me. I mean, here is Mola Ram, one truly bad dude, using black magic to brainwash the innocent and ripping people's hearts out before slowly lowering them into pools of molten lava. Can you say "friggin' sweet?" Heh, seriously though, I just love the movie's great mix of horror, humor, and action, and I love the fact that it, more than any of the other Indy films feels like a true homage to the genre (see the raider.net article about TOD and Gunga Din.) Not to mention the fact that Indy himself is more of a blatant badass in TOD than in any other movie. In LC, he's a lot more reserved and professorial. In Skull, he plays the aging mentor. Even Raiders has him more balanced between professor/digger/adventurer. But in TOD, he's fending off hoards of Thuggees with fists and a giant bowie knife, muscles rippling, shirt in tatters--it's classic pulp fun, and I love every second of it.

What it really boils down to, for me, is that of the four films, TOD feels the freshest and most original, not to mention the most pulpy and exciting. I was born between Raiders and Temple, and I didn't really get into Indy till Last Crusade came out in '89, so I never had the experience of seeing Raiders by itself and having it be the be-all, end-all of adventure movies. For that reason, I feel like I have been able to judge the movies on a different set of merits--they were just amazing fun and filled me with wonder when I was a kid, and my favorites nowadays are basically whichever ones give me that sense of giddy excitement that I got when I used to watch them as a child. Right now, TOD does that the most for me.

JP Jones

Now that I think of it there's any parts I don't like. unlike raiders where the submarine part was pretty mediocre.
That's why when I first saw it, it became my favorite. Another reason is that when I first saw it I loved shorty because I could relate to him. I loved Willie because she reminded me of my mom. It was just such a feel good movie over everything.