General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters
The_Raiders said:
I have to disagree. I think, if they do it right, Shia can have his place in the film, so long as they don't bring him back as the monkey king. If they have Harrisons role, more independent than he was in KOTCS I think it would be good. Maybe have a portion of the movie where he has to be on his own for a little bit. And the movie would probably be in the 60's so the world would be in a state of turmoil, and strange changes in culture, which if used correctly, could play as a danger factor in Indy 5. :cool:

Yeah, bring on Indiana Jones & The Acid Trip Of Heaviness, Man!

Dr. Gonzo

Indy's brother said:
Jesus, you know someone close to these guys has to come here. Tell them I said:

"Just make the thing already."

-Indy's brother
Noted... (winks)

Hahaha... Just joking...

Or am I?

Indy's brother

Well, The Huffington Post had an online survey about Indy 5 on 8/22/11, and 76.36% of the people who have responded (as of now) want another.....

(you have to vote to see the results)

Spielberg said back on May 19th, 2008:

It's up to you. There's always a lot of material left for Indiana Jones, and many other paranormal Macguffins or icons to go after... I would like to say if the audience likes this one and they put those same demands on us it's going to be hard for us to say no. But it's not up to me, it's up to them.

I don't know where Mr. Spielberg lives, but I would like to know if verbal contracts are binding there.

The people have spoken, Steve. Bring it.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Well boys and girls. The summer of 2011 has all but passed us, and we have no news on the Indy 5 front. My hope has died, and I'm holding memorial services for it next week.

Dr. Gonzo

The Drifter said:
Well boys and girls. The summer of 2011 has all but passed us, and we have no news on the Indy 5 front. My hope has died, and I'm holding memorial services for it next week.
I will be in attendance. This is my RSVP.

ryanwoods91

Forbidden Eye said:
Oh I don't know, many people have commented Indy is a different character in all three films, and in reality, he is.

He's a much darker and grittier character in Doom than he was in Raiders(some have said he more resembles Han Solo in Doom) while in Last Crusade, he is a clear good guy who moralizes his actions(i.e. "It belongs in the museum!") He even starts to become more superhero like in LC(complete with a backstory). It's a little hard to believe the lead in either Raiders or Temple would go on an adventure to see his Dad.

I'd like to think if there was one thing everyone could agree with in regards to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, it was Harrison Ford's strong performance. The #1 concern many people had before Kingdom was released was Harrison's age. He got a lot of flak for it, but he pulled it off. He was every bit as good as he was in the original three. Despite being 65 when he made it, he looked 55 if not younger. The scene where Indy is in Peru in particular, he could honestly pass off as being his 40s. Ford did many of his stunts(and did them well) and had far more enthusiasm for this role than any of his other roles in a while.

I also liked that we saw an older Indy as it brought a great fish-out-of-water theme to the story, and there were some fun jabs/subtle story moments addressing his age but didn't address his age into the plot full-on like say in Rocky Balboa. To say it was just "Harrison Ford pretending to be Indy" and that in the original trilogy he "was Indiana Jones" I think is being unfair(with nostalgia influencing that opinion).

Though having seen Cowboys and Aliens, I do agree that in the 3 years since Kingdom has been released, Ford looks noticeably older. And considering a script still hasn't been written(or even an idea that's been finalized), there's no escaping that his age will be more of an issue in Indy 5 than it was in 4. But, if done right, it can still work well or at least be fun. I don't believe his aging has destroyed all/any potential in this film.
The way actors appear in films cannot be trusted. Harrison's age is accentuated in Cowboys and Aliens, as the character was written as an older man, but in KotCS it was the opposite he was written younger than Ford, and was made to look as such by the makeup department. Actors are all made up to look however the script needs them to look. Check some recent interviews with Harrison and he's still looking pretty good for his age.

Hanselation

ryanwoods91 said:
The way actors appear in films cannot be trusted. Harrison's age is accentuated in Cowboys and Aliens, as the character was written as an older man, but in KotCS it was the opposite he was written younger than Ford, and was made to look as such by the makeup department. Actors are all made up to look however the script needs them to look. Check some recent interviews with Harrison and he's still looking pretty good for his age.

Harrison could do and would do another Indiana Jones movie,
but the critical points are
1st: The Script
and
2nd :When?

The probability of Indy 5 is decreasing exorbitant month by month.
Meanwhile it is better to hear from Spielberg things like "We would like to, but there is noch chance to do another one, so we have stopped the Indiana Jones-Movie-Serial! " than words that try to keep the hope alive only to see next year(s) that nothing happened.

In my opinion meanwhile it's better letting the (anyhow small) hope die than to become desperate.

Montana Smith

Hanselation said:
In my opinion meanwhile it's better letting the (anyhow small) hope die than to become desperate.

Exactly.

The desperate fan, the addled creator and the aging protagonist don't bode well for the rescue mission - to pluck Indy from the flames of utter self-parody - that #5 needed to be.

Indy's brother

replican't said:
Yeah, lock the thread up and go home folks.

....it ain't over till the 12th. If there's no solid word then (which I suspect), I'll pack it in. You'll be sure to hear my heartfelt complaints for a while after that if it's truly over.