The Western Movie Thread

PhantomStranger

Today's movie:

" The Tall T" (1957)
-Randolph Scott, Richard Boone

Having lost his horse in a bet, Pat Brennan hitches a ride with a stagecoach carrying newlyweds, Willard and Doretta Mims. At the next station the coach and its passengers fall into the hands of a trio of outlaws headed by a man named Usher. When Usher learns that Doretta is the daughter of a rich copper-mine owner, he decides to hold her for ransom. Tension build over the next 24 hours as Usher awaits a response to his demands and as a romantic attachment grows between Brennan and Doretta.

Solid well made western adventure film.

I also watched 2 episodes of one of my favorite western shows,
"The Adventures Of Brisco County Jr"
1. "No Mans Land"
2. "Brisco In Jalisco"

lots of fun.:gun:

PhantomStranger

Today's movie:

"The Ox-Bow Incident" (1943)
-Henry Fonda

Tense drama of a lynch mob that seeks revenge for a ranchers murder

A great movie. Not your typical western action film, more of a drama about mob rule.
Well acted by everyone in the cast and of course Fonda is brilliant as always:gun:

PhantomStranger

Today's movie:

The War Wagon (1967)
-John Wayne, Kirk Douglas

Taw Jackson returns from prison having survived being shot, to the ranch and gold that Frank Pierce stole from him. Jackson makes a deal with Lomax, the man who shot him 5 years ago to join forces against Pierce and steal a large gold shipment. The shipments are transported in the War Wagon, an armored stage coach that is heavily guarded. The two of them become the key players in the caper

One of my favorite John Wayne films. Fun, light hearted with lots of action and humor:gun:

Stoo

Hey, Phantom Stranger. Good choice with "The Ox-Bow Incident"
as it is an exceptional film and one of my favourite westerns!

Everyone has listed some fine flicks but I thought I'd mention
"Journey to Shiloh" (1968) with Harrison Ford. Not a great movie
but worth watching for H.Ford and the catchy interpretation of
"Yellow Rose of Texas" for the recurring theme song.

During the summer I managed to tape another H.Ford western
"A Time For Killing" (1967) from the History Channel. Nothing new
here but it is cool to see Ford with huge, mutton-chop, sideburns.
He plays a Union officer in charge of a firing squad and although
he receives rather prominent billing (as one Harrison J. Ford),
his screen time is miniscule!

Can't forget "The Frisco Kid" that he did with Gene Wilder...

Also, hat's off to "Valley of Gwangi" as a fun twist on the western.
Featuring James Franciscus and a rousing musical score, to boot...

Other favourites:
"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"
"Little Big Man"
"They Died With Their Boots On"
"Once Upon a Time in the West"
"Winchester '73"
"The Apple Dumpling Gang"

PhantomStranger

Today's movie:

"The Lone Ranger" (1956)
-Clayton Moore, Jay Silverheels

The Ranger and Tonto try to stop a power mad cattle rancher who wants to start a war between Indians and whites so he can take control of a silver rich mountain on reservation land.

First of two feature length films based on the TV classic.
Simple story with some great action, fine acting and nice scenery.
I love this movie:hat:

PhantomStranger

Today's movie:

"The Lone Ranger and The Lost City Of Gold" (1958)
-Clayton Moore, Jay Silverheels

The second film based on the TV classic. In this one, the Ranger and Tonto, find out about a villain who is killing those who own 5 medallions. Legend has it that when all 5 medallions are placed together, they reveal the location of the Lost City of Gold.

Like the original film (and the TV and radio series before that) this is a pure fun "G" rated adventure film, I love it. Long Live "The Lone Ranger!!"(y)

Silent_Rob

Good Topic!

1. The Good, the bad, & The ugly
2. Unforgiven
3. Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
4. Rio Bravo
5. Silverado
6. High Plains Drifter
7. Hang 'Em high
8. Pale Rider
9. Angel and the Badman
10. The Outlaw Josey wales

Last western watched: High Plains Drifter

PhantomStranger

Today I watched two episodes of the coolest western series ever.

"The Wild Wild West"

1. Night Of The Man-Eating House
2.Night Of A Thousand Eyes

I love this show(y)

PhantomStranger

Today is Oct 26, on this date in 1881 was the legendary "Gunfight At The O.K. Corral", so to commemorate this event I watched these great movies:

"Gunfight At The O.K. Corral"(1956)
-Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas

"Tombstone"
-Kurt Russel, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliott:gun:

|ZiR|

I rented Seraphim Falls today, and was pleasantly surprised by it.

First off, I did not know that Pierce Brosnan was that good an actor or that hairy. (Like, whoa. Did they wax him for 007?) Liam Neeson delivered a strong preformance -- no surprises there. Anjelica Huston fit her role like a glove, and though she doesn't have the most screen time, she is perhaps the most memorable character in the film.

It may not be the most traditional of Westerns but I liked it.

San Holo

I just read that this December, Comanche Moon, the prequel novel to Lonesome Dove will air as a mini-series on CBS . I am a big fan of Larry McMurtry's work-Lonesome Dove is a masterpiece- and I loved this book. They have Steve Zhan playing Gus(He looks alot like Duvall in the pic I saw) and Karl Urban(the dude from Pathfinder) as Call. (y) :gun: (y)

otto rahn

PhantomStranger said:
Today I watched two episodes of the coolest western series ever.

"The Wild Wild West"

1. Night Of The Man-Eating House
2.Night Of A Thousand Eyes

I love this show(y)
I used to enjoy it as well. Haven't seen any episodes lately (they used to run them on cable here in Sydney). What do you think of the movie version ? (Runs and hides awaiting backlash !):eek:

PhantomStranger

otto rahn said:
I used to enjoy it as well. Haven't seen any episodes lately (they used to run them on cable here in Sydney). What do you think of the movie version ? (Runs and hides awaiting backlash !):eek:

Since were all friends here at TheRaider.net I will try and keep a civil tongue, but to answer your question, I think the movie was one of the worst pieces of crap ever put on film. An insult to the original series. Not even the perfect beauty of Salma Hayek can make this film worth watching.
The truly sad part is that everyone involved with the film is very talented, but they all made a major blunder making this film.(n)

PhantomStranger

Todays movie:

"Brimstone" (1949)
-Rod Cameron, Walter Brennen

A U.S. Marshal hunts a cattleman and his sons who try to drive out homesteaders with robbery, but a mysterious black clad bandit called "The Ghost" appears to complicate matters even more.

Decent "B" western. Plenty of action, okay story and acting.

PhantomStranger

Since today is Halloween, I've been watching mostly horror movies for the last couple of days, but I did mange to slip in a few "weird westerns" just for the fun of it:

"Curse Of The Undead" (1959)
The cinema's first vampire Western! Young women in a small Western town are dying one by one of an unknown malady involving massive blood loss. The Carter family's ranch is being terrorized by a ruthless land baron . And a mysterious black-clad gunfighter with an aversion to sunlight has just arrived in town. B-grade western with a twist: mysterious gunslinger-for-hire Drake Robey is really a vampire, and it's up to Preacher Dan to save the town and girlfriend Dolores Carter.

"Bloodrayne 2: Deliverance"
Half vampire. Half Human warrior woman Rayne teams up with Pat Garrett(!) to battle a pack of vampire outlaws led by the undead Billy The Kid(!!!)
While not as bad as the original "Bloodrayne" this is still not a great movie, but it's worth a viewing. if you have nothing better to do.

and finally two great movies:

"High Plains Drifter"
Clint Eastwood's classic about a mysterious gunslinger getting revenge against a smll town called Lago.
Great movie.

"Pale Rider"
Clint Eastwood's classic about a mysterious Preacher/gunslinger protecting some miners from a ruthless mine operator