Why I hate Young Indy

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I agree the YIJC was not well thought out in compairison to the movies. What I wanted from YIJC was him as a 20-something "tomb raider", who was on the boarder between light and darkness. Perhaps some explanation to why he was that way would have been helpful, but I rather felt that the Indiana of the YIJC was a whimp with little or no backbone of his own. Not to mention the only archaeology/adventure episode is Treasure of the Peacock's Eye...which felt too preachy to be a true adventure.

Personally, I fell that with the edu-tainment (thanks for that term bob) element Lucas missed the boat. People didn't tune into that show just to be instructed by people long dead, they wanted to see him go after some artifact, crack some skulls, heck maybe even do a little digging (or acting for that matter)!

While I enjoy the YIJC on the level of what it was trying to do, I do not associate the YIJC as the young life of Indiana Jones. Rather I pretend that it is the story of a different person altogether.

Junior Jones

Aaron H said:
...I rather felt that the Indiana of the YIJC was a wimp with little or no backbone of his own.

I have never seen any indication that Young Indy was a wimp. He stood up for himself and what he believed in. His disobeyed his parents and disregarded authority a few times when he though it was necessary. As a teenager he got to all these exotic places (and met too many famous people) by not being afraid to stick his neck out and do what he thought had to be done. There were times when he was bewildered or confused, but when he had a conviction, he never backed down. Young Indy was definitely not a wimp.

Strider

He was still all "moral" and "toucy feely". I'm not saying Indy should be a bad guy, It's just that Young Indy lacks the dark gruff side we saw in Raiders.

Onya

Well, he's still a kid in the series. I know very few 16/17 year olds (and whatever other ages he played) who have a true dark gruff side that you see in Raiders. I think it's something that's developed as you grow older and see more.

And at the time of the series, I felt Indy was sort of... inexperienced.

Junior Jones

LaoChe said:
In Peacocks Eye Indy gave up at the end!

In Last Crusade Indy gave up at the end, too. He let the Grail go in order to save Elsa, and then himself.

In Peacock's Eye Indy realized the difference between passion and obsession. You have to evaluate the reasons you do what you do.

Indy went after the Ark and the Grail because of the significance of those finds. On the other hand, his friend Remy wanted to find the Peacock's Eye only to get rich.

Even in Temple of Doom when Indy talks about fortune and glory, he sounds more sarcastic about it than anything. It's even more ironic when you consider the theory that the gem at the beginning of Temple is the Peacock's Eye and his comments about "fortune and glory" reflect his thoughts about his old friend Remy.

QueZTone

after having heard all the good stories about the Peacock's Eye episode I was a bit dissapointed after having watched it. I too felt a bit unsatisfied when Indy just gave up. I don't know. Maybe it was the right thing to do, maybe it was because there wasn't any more 'time' for the episode left.

someone earlier mentioned the 'hot airballoon' ep, I definitly liked that one! The one in Africa right? Can't remember the name. But it did have a classic Indy feel. Great ep!

Anyway I just wanna see them on DVD already.

generally I liked the ones with Sean Patrick Flannery better than the ones with the young kid. What are your thoughts?

Junior Jones

QueZTone said:
someone earlier mentioned the 'hot airballoon' ep, I definitly liked that one! The one in Africa right? Can't remember the name. But it did have a classic Indy feel. Great ep!

That was Phantom Train of Doom and it was one of the better episodes.

QueZTone said:
generally I liked the ones with Sean Patrick Flannery better than the ones with the young kid. What are your thoughts?

I agree that SPF's Indy was more adventurous and had more action and thus was more "Indy-like." I liked the Corey Carrier episodes for a different reason. They were more dramatic and had a lot of character development.