Indy 5 news 2012

Forbidden Eye

foreignerfred said:
I've been trying to look at the San Diego Comic Con schedule to determine if there would be a time slot where a surprise Indy 5 announcement could pop up?

Do you (more hopeful) guys see any time where something like that might pop up?

The only time Disney had a "surprise panel" to announce a movie that I recall was in 2008 when they announced Tron: Legacy was happening.

But I don't see that happening here. There hasn't been any word with Disney on Indiana Jones since gaining its copyright last year. Indy 4 wasn't officially ago until Dec. 2006 when they announced a script was ready. Since there's been no talk of a script or even a writer, we're pretty much in the exact same position on Indy 5 for the past 6 years, so nothing has changed. And with Pirates 5 having been announced for 2017, its a guarantee we won't see Indy 5 by 2016. As far as the Con* goes, Disney is too focused on Star Wars to be paying attention to Indy right now.

*Perhaps we should bump the Indy Comic Con thread? Not that there will be a new movie announced, but will there be any new Indy merchandise?

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
Why not?! I've seen whole movies made without one...:p

Nominated for comment of the month.
3879-animated_gif-chuck_norris-dodgeball-thumbs_up.gif

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
We've had a great month of quotes, so here they are while the main site is still a little schizophrenic. Thanks to all who tracked them down!
November 23, 2015
Steven Spielberg: "I'm planning to do another Indy. I don't know when it's going to happen, but I really want to do one. And, uh, I want to do it with Harrison. And, uh, when it can happen it'll happen. You know how these things work out. You gotta have a story, you gotta have a script, you gotta have the time in your life, you gotta make room for it, and Harrison is not getting any younger. So (laughs) the clock is ticking."

November 2015
Harrison Ford: "They are?! Who told you that? You're not keeping up. No, there is a new Indy movie in preparation. I think Steven has answered all the questions on that. You should check his comments."

November 30, 2015
Steven Spielberg: "I am hoping one day to make it to an Indiana Jones V. I would hope to make it before Harrison Ford is 80 and I get much older."

December 1, 2015
Harrison Ford: "Yeah, yeah, we've got about fifteen minutes [before I turn 80]. No, I'm delighted. If we get a good script, that's always been the hard part. You know, the willingness to do it is always there. They're great movies. Steven's a great director to work with. We have a good time. We have a really good time."

December 1, 2015
Harrison Ford: "Mmm, how much? No, it's not about the money. I would love to do another Indiana Jones and work with Steven again. And if we get a script, I'd love to do it. I'd like to see me do it before I turn 80. Yeah."

December 4, 2015
Steven Spielberg: "I don't think anyone could replace Harrison as Indy, I don't think that's ever going to happen. It's certainly not my intention to ever have another actor step into his shoes in the way there have been many actors that have played Spider-Man or Batman. There is only going to be one actor playing Indiana Jones and that's Harrison Ford. There are more adventures out there than films. So as long as there's more adventures out there, I've got a bullwhip, a fedora, a leather jacket and a man on a horse who knows how to get the job done."

December 6, 2015
Harrison Ford [translated]: "We are at the stage of developing ideas but there is a person hired, if not now working the script should be." Ford revealed that this person is David Koepp.

December 7, 2015
Harrison Ford: "Uh, could come to pass. Yeah. I want to see it happen. Steven wants to see it happen. Disney is happy to have it happen, they want to have it happen. (wink) This could happen, could happen. Yeah."

December 9, 2015
Kathleen Kennedy: "We're all trying to figure out when the right time is to step back in. Harrison really wants to do it; Steven really wants to do it. We've kicked around a couple of story ideas, but beyond that, I don't know yet. I think there will be one, we'll certainly move forward with Indy. But right now, everybody's just focused on Star Wars."

December 15, 2015
Harrison Ford: "I think [Lucas] has not just stepped away, but he's stepped into another world for himself, and he's happy there and engaged there with his family and the things that he's now interested in doing. I think he's left us well prepared to deal with, in this case, Indiana Jones. Steven is a good steward of the character and the stories. We have the opportunity to, you know, to think about what would be a good story, and if we get one we'll make another Indiana Jones."

December 18, 2015
Harrison Ford: "We're working on it. We're hoping a couple of ideas that are floating around will gel and I know Steven is interested so hopefully it will happen."

Randy_Flagg

Bob Iger confirms Indy 5 will be made:

http://news.yahoo.com/indiana-jones-5-confirmed-by-disney-110905006.html?nf=1

It?s been rumoured for a while, but now Disney CEO Bob Iger has CONFIRMED that the studio will be making ?Indiana Jones 5?.

Talking to Bloomberg News, he said: ?With George Lucas?s Star Wars - and Indiana Jones, by the way, which will be coming, we have more great stories.?

When Disney purchased LucasFilm for $4 billion back in 2012, they secured the rights not only to ?Star Wars?, but also the ?Indiana Jones? franchise (after some wrangling with previous rights holders Paramount).

Upon completion of the deal Disney immediately went into production on more ?Star Wars? films, but held back on ?Indy? movies? until now its seems.

Speaking to Yahoo earlier in 2015, Spielberg said he?ll likely work on the film that that it would star Harrison Ford. Bradley Cooper and Chris Pratt were rumoured to play a younger version of the archeologist.

He said: ?Now I?ll probably do an Indy 5 with Harrison, [so] it?ll be five for Harrison, four for Tom [Hanks].?

In a separate interview with French radio RTL, Spielberg said: ?I am hoping one day to make it to an Indiana Jones V. I would hope to make it before Harrison Ford is 80 and I get much older.?

Spielberg?s quotes suggests that both he and Harrison Ford are on board for the sequel, though neither has officially said as much.

Pale Horse

Staff member
No offense, but that is some JANKEY journalism right there.

Randy_Flagg said:
http://news.yahoo.com/indiana-jones-5-confirmed-by-disney-110905006.html?nf=1

It?s been rumoured for a while, but now Disney CEO Bob Iger has CONFIRMED that the studio will be making ?Indiana Jones 5?.

Talking to Bloomberg News, he said: ?With George Lucas?s Star Wars - and Indiana Jones, by the way, which will be coming, we have more great stories.?.

No mention of a movie, no mention of a date, no mention of a timeline. Just merely confirms that:
  • A) They bought the property
  • B) There are stories to be told
  • C) They'll tell them (in some undefined and uncommitted form) in the future

For Yahoo to nail it down to a confirmation of Indy V is...pretty bad.

I'll be watching for a retraction of this, you can count on it.

curmudgeon

I linked to the source in the rumor/speculation thread yesterday. The idiot at Yahoo failed to give proper context to the quote.

(In referencing the success of Star Wars)

Q : "Can you give us any sense relative to the two other major acquisitions you made, because you did Pixar very early on in your tenure, and then you did Marvel later on and they both share some similarities with this. I mean, both generated great content that you then use through your franchises, you call them. Is this bigger than those two? How does it compare in size?"

Iger: "Well it's about the same size as Marvel from an acquisition price perspective, and Pixar was a few billion dollars higher. In terms of value today its not something that we really break out so I can't say.

But what I can say, and you touched on it David is that they do have a lot of things in common. And it starts with great storytelling, that is the heart really of the company, going back all the way to 1923 when it was founded by Walt Disney and his brother Roy. It's all about storytelling, that's what creates the most value.

So we had in Pixar some of the best storytellers that existed in motion pictures and certainly in animation. We had in Marvel stories and characters, great storytelling, and obviously in George Lucas' Star Wars... and Indiana Jones, by the way as well, which will be coming. We have more great stories."

So the discussion WAS speaking specifically in terms of generating Film & TV content that could then be merchandised.

(I happily note that Disney properly uses "franchise" to describe a property's product line. Hence the "what you call franchises" bit in the question.)

Pale Horse

Staff member
curmudgeon said:
So the discussion WAS speaking specifically in terms of generating Film & TV content that could then be merchandised.

Very true, and we've known that from the get go.

But to cite it as "Indiana Jones: V" has been greenlighted, is just plain irresponsible by a news network.

micsteam

Don't worry guys, we'll give you updates when filming starts, you know just like back when KOTCS started, we'll keep you in the loop. ;)

The Reaper

The negativity on this site is sickening. Some of you are not Indy fans at all. Unbelievable. Guess what? The sun will come up tomorrow, I promise.

Grizzlor

Pale Horse said:
Very true, and we've known that from the get go.

But to cite it as "Indiana Jones: V" has been greenlighted, is just plain irresponsible by a news network.

Green lighting requires a script, which they're supposedly actively developing. I don't think anyone here took Iger's comments as meaning the film is going to pre-production.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Grizzlor said:
I don't think anyone here took Iger's comments as meaning the film is going to pre-production.

ABOVE
Randy_Flagg said:
Bob Iger confirms Indy 5 will be made

AND HERE
The Reaper said:

Members are all over this site "confirming" the nothing news as though we did have a script (not supposedly one in development).

The point is, it doesn't take a pre-law attorney to understand Iger's comments as "At some point in the not-determined-but-certainly-not-near future we will tell more Indiana Jones stories. That is all.". But it may take a high school diploma.

Walecs

Last week I had to argue with a girl because she swore Indy 5 will come out because "they announced it on TV, it has to be true".

Finn

Staff member
The news in that is that they seem to be closer than estimated. What comes to the leading man dilemma, it's nothing we haven't heard or been able to deduce. There are no doubt connected people like Marshall and Spielberg who think Ford is still up to the job, but the suits at Disney seem more queasy about it and need further convincing.

Interesting times. Let it be said though that if it comes to a battle of wills with the producer and director at one side and the guys who hold the money and the rights to an IP on the other - it's the latter who always win.

Silvor

Finn said:
The news in that is that they seem to be closer than estimated. What comes to the leading man dilemma, it's nothing we haven't heard or been able to deduce. There are no doubt connected people like Marshall and Spielberg who think Ford is still up to the job, but the suits at Disney seem more queasy about it and need further convincing.

Interesting times. Let it be said though that if it comes to a battle of wills with the producer and director at one side and the guys who hold the money and the rights to an IP on the other - it's the latter who always win.

Do you actually have a source for this?
I don't remember ever hearing anything of the sort.
The only thing we've heard about who's starring in Indy 5 are those tidbits from Ford, Spielberg and Marshall.
It just seems a bit wrong to group in facts and speculation is all.