Ghost Hunters/Most Haunted

HovitosKing

Any of you guys fans of the American SciFi Channel original series Ghost Hunters or the somewhat longer-running European version called Most Haunted? I love those shows!

Doc Savage

That stuff fascinates me...they actually filmed an episode of Ghost Hunters about 45 minutes from where I live. Waverly Hills Sanitorium is supposed to be one of the most haunted places in America.

HovitosKing

Guess there aren't too many fans of the shows on this board...it's a shame because they're both so freakin' awesome.

HovitosKing

The best thing about the T.A.P.S. crew is their philosophy of debunking a haunting. It makes so much more sense to try to debunk claims of the paranormal in order to avoid "seeing what you want" in the evidence...I have no idea why other groups can't get that right.

Doc Savage

HovitosKing said:
The best thing about the T.A.P.S. crew is their philosophy of debunking a haunting. It makes so much more sense to try to debunk claims of the paranormal in order to avoid "seeing what you want" in the evidence...I have no idea why other groups can't get that right.
While I, obviously, believe in the supernatural, some people do so blindly. Any observable data is open to interpretation. As Plato said, "Science is nothing but perception." It took an encounter with the supernatural on many levels and overcoming much skepticsm to cement my beliefs.

HovitosKing

Well said. There's nothing that either of these shows could capture on audio or video or whatever that can prove supernatural activity to those watching at home. In order to make the shift from skeptic to believer, you have to experience something for yourself...period. T.A.P.S. admits this, and they're cool with it. That's part of why I like them. That having been said, I've never experienced anything at all which could be classified as paranormal or ghostly, but these shows are friggin awesome just the same. Watch a couple of episodes and you're hooked, believer or not. When does the second half of Ghost Hunters Season 3 air?

Gustav

Doc Savage said:
While I, obviously, believe in the supernatural, some people do so blindly. Any observable data is open to interpretation. As Plato said, "Science is nothing but perception." It took an encounter with the supernatural on many levels and overcoming much skepticsm to cement my beliefs.

Could you tell us about it? How can I encounter the supernatural?

HovitosKing

I'm not convinced that you can just go out and seek an encounter...I think it's probably more along the lines of something happening to you in an unexpected way. Otherwise there'd be no question as to whether or not the supernatural exists...

Gustav

You mean like a strange sound in the attic or a cabinet door that keeps opening by itself? Until I see a ghost with my own two eyes or get possessed by one I'm not going to even think about being convinced.

HovitosKing

No, I meant something that simply cannot be explained away by any other possibility...like seeing a ghost with your own two eyes. Noises in the attic or cabinet doors opening by themselves might be enough for some, but not for skeptics like us lol.

HovitosKing

Gustav said:
So can I assume you have seen a ghost? Let's hear about it.

Are you asking me or Doc Savage? I personally have never seen a ghost and therefore must remain skeptical...

Doc Savage

Gustav said:
So can I assume you have seen a ghost? Let's hear about it.
I saw something when I was young...woke up and saw a man standing next to my bed. He was dripping wet, had a black-and-white checkered shirt...and his face was blue. I always thought, oddly enough, that that was the strangest part. I was discussing Kentucky ghost stories just this past October with a Kentucky historian. Given where I was living at the time, he said that was standard dress and facepaint for the Native Americans around the early 1800's.

But, of course, I had to find it in the Bible before I could cement the possibility of ghosts...human spirits, not demons, mind you. (Boy, I'm strolling out on a limb here.) I Sam 28:7-20 chronicles a seance-type scenario where Saul, through a medium, spoke with the spirit of the prophet Samuel.

In response to your query, Gustav, you can seek and encounter the supernatural. I'd be glad to discuss it with you, as long as you're familiar with the angle I'll be taking. "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."(Matt 7:7,8)

Doc Savage

HovitosKing said:
That actually sounds quite terrifying...the dripping wet bit actually makes it exponentially more creepy.
I've yet to see even the J-horror movie to top it...and I can see it now as clearly as I did then.

HovitosKing

I just added Ghost Hunters season 2 part 2 to my DVD library, thus completing the set so far (I already had Season 1 and Season 2 part 1). The sound quality is a bit lacking on Season 2's discs, but nothing serious. Can't wait to see what these guys have in store for the second half of Season 3, since they're in Europe investigating much older and more diabolical haunts. I noticed on the TAPS website that they've also got a trip planned to China for Fall 2007. Should be cool!

Doc Savage

HovitosKing said:
I noticed on the TAPS website that they've also got a trip planned to China for Fall 2007. Should be cool!
I just read a Hellboy comic set in China...Mike Mignola usually studies various ghost mythos and takes small liberties with them.

Outside of that, all I know of Chinese ghosts is a story of demon foxes...or was that Japan?

Does your DVD set include the show about Waverly Hills?

HovitosKing

Waverly Hills Sanatorium is included in the Season 2 Part 2 DVD set. That was a great one--that the sanatorium near where you live?

Doc Savage

HovitosKing said:
Waverly Hills Sanatorium is included in the Season 2 Part 2 DVD set. That was a great one--that the sanatorium near where you live?
That's the one...about 45 minutes from home. I've only taken the virtual tour (on-line), but I'll probably make an excursion there this year. If I have my facts straight, the Louisville Ghost Hunters Society has to actually arrange it...unless you jump the fence.;)