Hollywood has forgotten how to be orginal

The Drifter

This message is not to offend anyone, or to make them mad.
But, I think that Hollywood has gotten dull and boring. There is a flood of movies based from either comics, or old stupid cartoons.

Very few and far between do we see any movie that comes out with any ounce of orginality.
I am so sick of the way film companies want a quick cash fix with crap on comics, and cartoons.

I never was a big fan of super-heros, maybe that is why I dislike the comic themed movies such as Spiderman, The Hulk, Fantastic Four, or Ghost Rider.
And, I despise the trend of cartoons made CGI/Live Action such as Garfield, Alvin and the Chikmunks, Underdog, etc.

I miss orginal screenplays, and films about high adventure NOT about characters I've seen a million times! (Well, besides Indy of course)

Please share your views. Bash me or agree with me!

Deckard

Nobody forgot anything. They just don't give a damn. Why try when you can pass off garbage w/ poor or no acting, pretty CGI and seizure inducing lights.

And we being the mindless zombies we are love to eat up the mindless dribble hollywood will continue to feed us.

It's simple, this is us.

800px-United_States_one_dollar_bill.jpg

Agent Z

Deckard said:
Nobody forgot anything. They just don't give a damn. Why try when you can pass off garbage w/ poor or no acting, pretty CGI and seizure inducing lights.

Thank you! Yes, it's not that Hollywood has forgotten how to be original:There are great scripts/projects rejected/stalled all the time. Hollywood has forgotten how to have the balls. With all the little independents being bought up and merged into corporate monstrosities like the Mouse, everyone is playing it safe...delivering more "product" than art.

The Drifter

I feel more like this at times.

bb_us-100-dollar-bill.jpg

Yes, I should not have used the word "forgotten" because I agree that Hollywood, can; but they just don't give a damn.

Michael24

I guess it's all opinion really. I've never had much bad to say about Hollywood. Sure, there's movies that I don't like, but that's to be expected. Let's face it, it's tough to come up with new things these days. Someone once said, there's only ten plots in storytelling, and everything you see is a variation on one of them. It's just about how you interpret the plot that determintes whether it's good or not.

As for adaptations of cartoons and comic books, I have no problem with them. I mean, if movies can be drawn from books and stageplays, why not those sources as well? Plus, many of those things already have a built-in audience, which is a definitely plus from the studio's POV. Many people are quick to bash Hollywood for being "uncreative" and having "no idea" how to do things anymore, but I think they have more idea than people like to give them credit for.

There will always be two sides to the issue of whether or not Hollywood is creatively bankrupt, but I don't consider that the case. You have to do what you can to stay in business, and as long as things work and people go to the theater when your new movie opens, everything's fine.

adventure_al

What I don't like is that they rely too much on CGI and computers now. Too often can you tell when its blatantly computer generated. The use of models or non-computer generated special effects seems to get overlooked (n)

The Drifter

adventure_al said:
What I don't like is that they rely too much on CGI and computers now. Too often can you tell when its blatantly computer generated. The use of models or non-computer generated special effects seems to get overlooked (n)

I agree.
The other day I was watching Raiders. I remarked to my wife how much the special effects in the movie (which was made the year I was born!) look so much better than the CGI of today.

I mean watch I Am Legend. A good movie, I thought. But, the CGI looked so fake, and corny.

~KAT~

Oi... this is so true nowadays... It's quite pathedic, and what is even more pathedic is that we are willing to pay Big $$ to see some of these movies! I feel like such a dork sometimes, hehe. I almost always see sequels. *ashamed* :p

I agree that CGI is starting to get boring. It's so unoriginal now, it's not even worth "WOW!"s "OOOH"s, or "AHH"s

Michael24

I tend to agree. Although there are movies I still like that utilize CGI, sometimes I'm surprised by how obvious it is. Sometimes it's just so seamless and afterwards I go, "That was CGI?" and other times it's painfully obviously to the point of annoyance. I'm not really a fan of these movies that are basically all CGI, where it was just actors filmed against a greenscreen, like Speed Racer or Sky Captain (and the Star Wars prequels somewhat). I'm more old-fashioned. I like to see actual sets and props and actors interacting with the environments. As an aspiring filmmaker, it would drive me crazy just being on a soundstage infront of a giant green curtain. I'd like to be on a set or out at a real location.

I do miss model work and optical effects and wish we could see more of it still. I don't mind CGI just as long as its used well, and I think it can be an effective tool when done properly.

The Drifter

Michael24 said:
I tend to agree. Although there are movies I still like that utilize CGI, sometimes I'm surprised by how obvious it is. Sometimes it's just so seamless and afterwards I go, "That was CGI?" and other times it's painfully obviously to the point of annoyance. I'm not really a fan of these movies that are basically all CGI, where it was just actors filmed against a greenscreen, like Speed Racer or Sky Captain (and the Star Wars prequels somewhat). I'm more old-fashioned. I like to see actual sets and props and actors interacting with the environments. As an aspiring filmmaker, it would drive me crazy just being on a soundstage infront of a giant green curtain. I'd like to be on a set or out at a real location.

I do miss model work and optical effects and wish we could see more of it still. I don't mind CGI just as long as its used well, and I think it can be an effective tool when done properly.

Yeah, I agree.
I was well pleased to see alot of the Lord of the Rings trilogy was done with minitures.

Lord_glavin

Michael24 said:

I think lord of the rings is a brilliant example of models working well with cgi and to show that it can be done

but yes, there hasn't been an original franchise movie in ages, I mean even pirates was based off a theme park ride! they'll look anywhere for ideas

The Drifter

Lord_glavin said:
I think lord of the rings is a brilliant example of models working well with cgi and to show that it can be done

but yes, there hasn't been an original franchise movie in ages, I mean even pirates was based off a theme park ride! they'll look anywhere for ideas

I agree about The Lord of the Rings being a great example of models and CGI (even tho Golem looked weird in some scenes).

But, the Pirates movies may have been based from a ride, but they were very well written, and I enjoyed them very much,
Hell, was any scene in that trilogy even CGI?

Michael24

The Pirates movies had tons of CGI, though it seemed less evident in the first one. I thought it went way overboard in the sequels, and while the CGI in them looked pretty good for the most part, it was the scripts that ultimately sunk them for me. They just meandered around too much. It felt more like they just went with shooting the rough draft for the sequels instead of scripts that had gone through various drafts to shape them up nicely, whereas the first film seemed a lot more tightly-written and focused.

I had no idea the Lord of the Rings films used models.

Lord_glavin

Michael24 said:
The Pirates movies had tons of CGI, though it seemed less evident in the first one. I thought it went way overboard in the sequels, and while the CGI in them looked pretty good for the most part, it was the scripts that ultimately sunk them for me. They just meandered around too much. It felt more like they just went with shooting the rough draft for the sequels instead of scripts that had gone through various drafts to shape them up nicely, whereas the first film seemed a lot more tightly-written and focused.

all the buildings, seiege weapons, armour, cities etc were models in Lord of the Rings

the top part of Edoras was built life size

The Drifter

Michael24 said:

Yes, the Rings trilogy used many minituers(I can't spell!).
I never even noticed any CGI in the Pirates movies, but I can agree to an extent on how the script bogged down at places.

My favorite was Dead Man's Chest.
The third movie did bog down at places, and was sort of boring compared to the first two.

Michael24

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I never even noticed any CGI in the Pirates movies,

You never noticed the skeleton pirates then? Haha!! :D Although I knew some stuff had to be CGI when I first saw, I was later surprised to learn that some stuff I hadn't suspected of being CGI really was CGI, like some shots of the ships, though there still were real ships that were used I believe.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
My favorite was Dead Man's Chest.
The third movie did bog down at places, and was sort of boring compared to the first two.

I only like the first movie. I thought the sequels were just too chaotic and started drifting too much towards fantasty realm. True, the first film involved cursed skeleton pirates and such, but it at least seemed focused and somewhat grounded, whereas the sequels (I thought) were just too overblown and more sloppily-made. The third one was certainly the worse, though. During the whole finale in the whirlpool sequence, I was just sitting there feeling virtually no emotional reaction. It's like, I knew it was an action sequence, but I just felt nothing because it was so chaotic and overdone.

Indy4fan

Lonsome_Drifter said:
This message is not to offend anyone, or to make them mad.
But, I think that Hollywood has gotten dull and boring. There is a flood of movies based from either comics, or old stupid cartoons.

Very few and far between do we see any movie that comes out with any ounce of orginality.
I am so sick of the way film companies want a quick cash fix with crap on comics, and cartoons.

I never was a big fan of super-heros, maybe that is why I dislike the comic themed movies such as Spiderman, The Hulk, Fantastic Four, or Ghost Rider.
And, I despise the trend of cartoons made CGI/Live Action such as Garfield, Alvin and the Chikmunks, Underdog, etc.

I miss orginal screenplays, and films about high adventure NOT about characters I've seen a million times! (Well, besides Indy of course)

Please share your views. Bash me or agree with me!

I'm not alone! :)

Indy4fan

Michael24 said:
You never noticed the skeleton pirates then? Haha!! :D Although I knew some stuff had to be CGI when I first saw, I was later surprised to learn that some stuff I hadn't suspected of being CGI really was CGI, like some shots of the ships, though there still were real ships that were used I believe.

I only like the first movie. I thought the sequels were just too chaotic and started drifting too much towards fantasty realm. True, the first film involved cursed skeleton pirates and such, but it at least seemed focused and somewhat grounded, whereas the sequels (I thought) were just too overblown and more sloppily-made. The third one was certainly the worse, though. During the whole finale in the whirlpool sequence, I was just sitting there feeling virtually no emotional reaction. It's like, I knew it was an action sequence, but I just felt nothing because it was so chaotic and overdone.

Anything by Industrial Light and Magic so far has been great CGI. Pirates 2 especially--I thought Davy Jones was makeup and animatronics, lol.

WillKill4Food

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I never even noticed any CGI in the Pirates movies, but I can agree to an extent on how the script bogged down at places.
Honestly, how? Did you think they used stop-motion skeletons? That they just had really good make-up artists for Davy Jones's crew? That they actually made a whirlpool? How did you not realize that? :confused: :rolleyes: