Deleted scenes

Stoo

Major Discovery!

Fellow member, ROLLERBALL, has made a fantastic discovery.(y) It's a vintage, Japanese documentary which has footage of 3 deleted scenes! To learn where to see it, check out this thread:

Making of last crusade footage

The scenes are:
- Behind-the-scenes filming of the camel spit in "Crusade"
- Footage from "Doom" of the slave kids crossing the lava pit
- Footage of a previously unknown scene from "Doom": Indy picks up a piece of lumber to fight the Thug Guard but seemingly realizes that the wood won't do the big guy much harm so he turns away and drops it, looking for something else. (This was obviously intended as a comedic moment immediately before Indy picks up the hammer.)

The 2 from "Doom" are on the screen of Ben Burtt's sound-editing station but, however poor the picture may be, a secondhand taste is better than none at all!

Cheers to ROLLERBALL for finding this and sharing the link!:hat:

TOD ; Poison chalice and Indiana expletive

I came across a version of Temple of Doom which most certainly contains an extra scene unavailable to UK fans.

The scene happens whilst Indy is whipped by the chief thuggee guard under Mola Rams command, with his own whip, whilst tied to the post after they are caught.

Shorty gets a beating from the temple guards as Indy watches on.

Indy tells them to "Leave him alone you BASTARDS!!" as he is powerless to stop them.

Anyone else familiar with this scene - and why it was cut from UK versions? Quite pointless to have removed it as it added a certain gravitas to the scene and does not seem to be particularly graphic or offensive. Not considering other material left in that involved hearts being ripped out of chests etc.,

Does the US version contain this?

Thanks Drifter.

I have four copies of TOD. A spare single dvd copy and another acquisition I managed to access in Asia. But that scene is on neither of my UK dvd boxset collections. (n)

Maybe they think the British are up tight about such things. Makes us all feel like well cared for children.;)

You guys are region 1 yes? I have no interest in Blu-Ray - but do wonder if Blu-Ray are also released in digital region 1 or 2 formats as is the marketing strategy for standard dvd?

Q; Drifter were you once known as Lonsome Drifter in a previous incarnation?

Stoo

Gekkos Big Baws said:
Anyone else familiar with this scene - and why it was cut from UK versions? Quite pointless to have removed it as it added a certain gravitas to the scene and does not seem to be particularly graphic or offensive. Not considering other material left in that involved hearts being ripped out of chests etc.,
Mazel tov, Gekko!:hat: You have finally come here to talk about Indiana Jones instead of your other, weirdo-goofy stuff.:)

To answer your question as to "why" that was cut, see this thread, goofball:
British Censor's Office BBFC Temple of Doom

...And for more conversation on the same subject, read these threads:
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - uncut in UK for 1st time
Just saw the uncut American heart ripping scene from TOD
Gekkos Big Baws said:
Does the US version contain this?
Only the U.K. suffered that cut so referring to the regular print as, "the U.S. version", is a misnomer because it's not specially unique. Everyone else has seen it before. (The correct term would be the "non-UK version"!:p)

---
Gekko, I implore you to take any further comments about the UK version of "Doom" over to any of those other threads because the differences are NOT "Deleted Scenes" (in the true sense).:hat: Please do so, mate.:hat:

The Drifter

Gekkos Big Baws said:
Thanks Drifter.

I have four copies of TOD. A spare single dvd copy and another acquisition I managed to access in Asia. But that scene is on neither of my UK dvd boxset collections. (n)

Maybe they think the British are up tight about such things. Makes us all feel like well cared for children.;)

You guys are region 1 yes? I have no interest in Blu-Ray - but do wonder if Blu-Ray are also released in digital region 1 or 2 formats as is the marketing strategy for standard dvd?

Q; Drifter were you once known as Lonsome Drifter in a previous incarnation?

You're welcome.
And, yes; I was previously known as Lonsome Drifter in a past-life.

Stoo

The Drifter said:
And, yes; I was previously known as Lonsome Drifter in a past-life.
Heh, it's been your same life the entire time!:) Don't know if you remember or not but I'm the one who started calling you, "The Drifter", in the 1st place.;)
Phlip said:
Well, I'm not installing Veoh Player to watch it. Hopefully it'll go on YouTube sometime.
That's too bad.:( Like you, installing the player wasn't something that I wanted to do but the small effort was worth it in the end. (Be absolutely sure that most of everything Moedred points out is worth checking, if you are a hardcore fan of Indy.):whip:

But maybe you really ARE a "bad Indiana Jones fan", as you described yourself yesterday?:confused:
Phlip said:
Maybe I'm just a bad Indiana Jones fan,
You should check out these rarities while you have the opportunity.

The Drifter

Yep, I sure do remember, Stoo! "Lonsome Drifter" became to cumbersome, so I shed my skin and because The Drifter!
But, my apologies for the off-topic posting. You all may return to your normal scheduled programming now.

Phlip

I only just found out about another ToD deleted scene, where Lal continues a fight with Indy:

deleted_scene_2.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087469/faq#.2.1.5

tumblr_m4y9yesZhE1rpdsnyo1_1280.jpg

Spurlock

That's looks like it would've been a pretty sweet fight scene, with the same grim death as the airplane one in RLA. I don't get why they cut scenes like this, it's not like it was too long or anything.

Citizen_Kane said:
hey guys [...] a photo of a deleted scene in ToD, which is one of the many pics on the front cover of an eighties Indy themed writing pad. Thought it might interest y'all:

indy%20tod.jpg

Posted that first pic a while ago, but the second with Lal actually in the lava pit is new to me!:D

Stoo

Phlip said:
I only just found out about another ToD deleted scene, where Lal continues a fight with Indy:
Citizen_Kane said:
Posted that first pic a while ago, but the second with Lal actually in the lava pit is new to me!:D
Guys, you should read through the entire thread because both of those images (& more) were already posted here before much earlier. (See: posts #68, #72 and #159)

If you hadn't seen one of those photos before, there might be more surprises from other scenes right in this very thread!:)

(Which reminds me, I still need to improve that video of the kids crossing the lava pit and Indy with the guard.)

P Tom

I was browsing through eBay and I came across the sale of a ToD Laserdisc that was made in Japan, and it made me wonder if there is any chance that the ToD deleted scenes ("egg", "lava pit fight", etc.) could be included on that LD, given Spielburg's "special relationship" with the Japanese market.

Kooshmeister

Tent_02_zps7081e933.jpg

Is that the Tall Captain (a.k.a. Mohler) on the left there? I had always wondered where he went after the canyon scene. So... where did he do? He isn't in the crowd when the Ark is opened.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Kooshmeister said:
Tent_02_zps7081e933.jpg

Is that the Tall Captain (a.k.a. Mohler) on the left there? I had always wondered where he went after the canyon scene. So... where did he do? He isn't in the crowd when the Ark is opened.

Whoa...the tabernacle version of the ending was staged at one point?

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
Whoa...the tabernacle version of the ending was staged at one point?
Yeah, I made that screengrab and posted it in this very thread 6 months ago (post #218 and post #219).:gun: Don't know why Kooshmeister dropped the quote tags.:confused:

Almost everyone complained about the lack of deleted scenes on the new Blu-ray documentaries but, to me, this GEM of a clip was worth the price for the boxed set.(y)
Stoo said:
I watched the Blu-ray documentary for the 1st time the other night and freaked out!:eek: Those shots of Belloq in the tent getting dressed for the Ark ceremony are PRICELESS. That set has NEVER been seen before and I'm shocked that nobody besides you, Jack Burton, has mentioned this clip before!

The setup is also right in line with Philip Kaufman's contribution to the story (tents & veils).

---
Correction:

It must be at least 10 years or so since I've seen the 1981 PBS "Making of Raiders" documentary and I just watched it on the Blu-ray. Something I never noticed (or had completely forgotten about) is that it has a brief, partial peek at the inside of the tent but its nowhere near the beauty of the new footage. Don't know about you folks but I think the interior is pretty frickin' cool to see after all this time!(y)

Tent_02_zps7081e933.jpg

Tent_03_zps1646189b.jpg

In the finished film, it just looks like a curtain drawn across the mouth of a cave but it's actually a tent set up inside the alcove.

Tent_01a_zps0ecfe16a.jpg

Last edited: