KV5 (Valley of the Kings-Ramses II's Sons)

NileQT87

who here is into KV5? its the largest tomb in the valley of the kings, and the tomb of more than 100 of Ramses II's sons. its a recently excavated one.

NileQT87

its very interesting. it got flooded by a sewer pipe leak from the outhouse they built there in the 50s. howard carter also covered the entrance with his tutankhamun rubble and the tomb was lost for years. it was only found because they were going to build a parking lot on top of it for tourists. they found a bunch of apis bull mummies in there as well.

sttngfan1701d

I've been following the story of KV5 and the Theban Mapping Project since it made headlines in 1995. I think it's a fascinating tomb...just imagine how long it took to cut.

I'm going into archaeology as well with Egyptology my ultimate career goal. Things like KV% naturally excite me.

And in case you want more info, go to the Project's new site, http://www.thebanmappingproject.com It just has to be seen to be believed. It is the culmination of Dr. Kent Weeks' efforts to create the ultimate website on the valley of the Kings, and it has an interactive atlas, videos, photos, tomb plans, reports and articles, glossaries, and more.

Definitely worth a look.