Spear of Christ

westford

Did anyone see the programme on BBC2 on Friday night about the spear of Christ?

The spear head is in a museum in Vienna(?), and the programme followed its alleged history from Christ's crucifixion through to its theft by (and subsequent rescue from) the Nazis, and the first attempt to confirm a date for it.

It seems that the main part of the spear dates to the time of Charlemagne - he used it to prove his right to power, etc. There are later aditions of silver and gold sheaths, and a nail in the centre of the spear head is like another nail dated to the 1st century (forget if it's BC or AD - my bad!). This was rumoured to be a nail used at Christ's crucifixion, but although it is of a comparable age, it is unlikely to have anything to do with Christ. Magnification of the nail showed that there were traces of other smaller pieces of metal hammered into it - possibly fragments of a nail used at the crucifixion...?

The analysis showed that while not dating to the time of Christ, the main spear was not a Nazi fake as some had suggested.

Maybe it was the Nazi connection, or the supernatural/divine powers connected to the spear, but I thought it was a very Indy-esque artefact! Will look for some info on the programme on the BBC's website ;)

00Kevin

Indyfan
Isn't that the one used in the indy comic "Indiana Jones and the Spear of Destiny" ????

(dark horse comics, 1995)

"In the heart of 1945 Ireland, Indiana Jones and his father, Doctor Henry Jones, discover a terrible secret that could destroy all of civilization. The Spear of Destiny -- which pierced the side of Christ Himself -- has been captured by Nazi spies and will be subjugated to their evil desires if they find the tree rooted from the original thorn. In the hands of one man, the spear killed Christ. In the hands of the Nazis, it would destroy the world. Only the Joneses stand between them and total world domination."

westford

That sounds like it!

This is all I could find about the programme -

The Spear Of Christ
Fri 13 Jun, 9:00 pm - 9:50 pm 50mins

It is said that whoever possesses the 'Spear of Destiny' holds the fate of the world in their hands. The Spear's status dates back to the beginning of Christendom when it was believed to have pierced the side of Jesus at his crucifixion. Subsequently, it became the obsession, and occasionally the possession, of kings and conquerors throughout the ages, from Kings Constantine and Charlemagne to Napoleon and Hitler.

For the first time in the history of the Spear, forensic scientists have been given access to the Spear and allowed to undertake a series of modern-day tests to verify the legends. With the help of historians and archaeologists this documentary special reveals the true story of this sacred artefact.

00Kevin

Indyfan
yeah, I think that sounds right......you outta read that comic, it's a good read

the closest thing any non-film has gotton to being LC-like

westford

Will have to track that down Kev, thanks. The Nazis really did get hold of the spear; it was said that an army in possession of it could never be defeated. An American soldier, who was also an art historian, was sent to find it and other items the Nazis had stolen. A German prisoner led him to a bunker where it was being stored. It's claimed that about 9 hours after the spear was found by the Americans, Hitler committed suicide, but that's just part of the mythology surrounding the artefact.

Kill Cavalry

Well, the methods they used for dating are debatable, but nonetheless it is very doubtful that the spear is the actual spear of destiny. As you said, it is most likely a creation of Charlagmagne.
Despite that, it is a fantastic piece with a fascinating history.

bob

I found the documentary incredibly interesting

Although i find the idea of Jesus Disciples or a Roman Soldier carrying around a spear that pierced their messiah a somewhat improbable one. It does raise interesting questions such as What Happened to the one that Constantine had? I dont imagine that it was melted down it must be out there somewhere still.....

Nate Christen

Trevor Ravenscroft wrote a book on the subject called "The Spear of Destiny;" according to his research, the Lance of Longinus was possessed by:

Otto the Great at the Battle of Leck
Heinrich I "the Fowler"
King Athelstan of England at the Battle of Malmesbury
Mauritius, commander of the Theban Legion
Constantine at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge
Theodosius (385)
Alaric the Bold in his sack of Rome (410)
Theodoric battling Atilla the Hun (452)
Justinian
Karl Martel
Charlemagne

The book deals with Hitler's interest in the occult and the spear; I'd recommend it to any Indy fan.

-Nate