Uncharted - the Movie

Le Saboteur

TheFedora said:
It was a 15 minute fan film. Very good production values.

Son, you quoted a lot of text to say almost nothing.

Finn said:
It was a very well-made short film, with production values that don't pale a bit next to the big-budget productions.

It looks as good as anything on the telly these days. They need a better action coordinator -- if they even had one -- but what they had was decent. Fillion is going to have to embrace the fact that it has to be his hide on the line should anything come of this.

Finn said:
Of course, before we start signing petitions, it's good to keep in mind that it's one thing to do it for 15 minutes, and whole another ballgame to stretch the same quality to 150.

I don't want to rake you over the coals for making an obvious statement, but that's, well, obvious. However, I'm intrigued by the setup. It's borrowing the core conceit from A Thief's End to be sure, and I want to see where they take this (if anywhere).

Fillion is a known quantity, and Stephen Lang is an inspired choice for Victor "God Damn" Sullivan. Allan Ungar has a pair of decent action flicks under his belt already in Gridlocked and Tapped Out. The technical expertise is there, so it'd be up to those other intangibles -- the budget, script, and the audience.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hf9TrZFMCU4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IndyBuff said:
I've never been crazy about the idea of an Uncharted movie but that clip was amazing!

A film version is fine. Would be fine. The only thing they need not do is try and remake one of the games. Everything else is already set up for them.

Nick Romano said:
Now what seemed like a one-and-done passion project could become something more. Ungar tells EW he has already received “a couple emails” about “what this could mean as a digital series or something further.” So keep your fingers crossed. “I think if it makes sense and if it’s done right, I’d be thrilled to have a conversation about it and possibly see this specific story continue,” he says. (Sony had no official comment to make at this time about Ungar and Fillion’s short, or the status of its Uncharted movie.)

Finn

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
I don't want to rake you over the coals for making an obvious statement, but that's, well, obvious.
When you look at various social media comments, it quickly becomes obvious that not for everybody.

Of course, no one in this thread has displayed such obtuseness. Obviously.

curmudgeon

Meanwhile, the official movie (which you may recall is about a young Nathan Drake, rather than an adaptation of one of the games) is allegedly close to moving forward.

In an interview, director Shawn Levy talked about the project:
The Playlist: Speaking of movies, you?ve got two films in the pipeline that you?ve been attached to direct. ?Uncharted? and a remake of ?Starman.? Are any of them closer to shooting than the others?

Levy:
I mean, as of right now, the closest to the starting line is ?Uncharted? in that it?s a massive title. We now have a very good script and we have our star in Tom Holland. That is now subject to schedule and additional casting. But I would say as of right now, that seems to be the most near horizon. And it?s a movie I?m very excited about.

Currently, Holland's schedule on the next Spider-Man will run close to the end of the year, and he has a few weeks to a month of reshoots on "Chaos Walking" coming in early 2019.

Given that, I'd guess that filming could start as soon as March/April... but we'll see if it actually happens this time.

curmudgeon

Now that we're kinda back, it's a pleasure of sorts to congratulate the OTHER oft-delayed, seemingly unlikely adventure film whose pre-production dragged on for way too long, for finally starting production. And finishing too, I guess.

All we just need to do now is wait for a trailer.

I have a feeling it'll be a hot mess, but I hope its at least a fun one.

IAdventurer01

I like Tom Holland, but yeah, just looks to young for the character.
It definitely looks to be a bit of a re-imagining, but with looks like action set and plot points lifted from the familiar games, it kinda feels wrong.

curmudgeon

Okay, a little less of a hot mess than I expected, yet still looks like kind of a disposable piece of entertainment that'll probably be quickly forgotten.

But with Indy delayed, this'll have to do for big-screen adventuring.

emtiem

It doesn't look very good, does it. The character of Drake is pretty well-defined in the games, but this is just Spider Man being all nervous and jittery. Why does he keep waving his arms around like that?

I like the bit at the beginning of the trailer where he opens an old map of the entire world 😂

PilotJohnGrant

Looks fine, could be fun.
But Holland and Wahlberg do not fit their roles imo unfortunately. They just don't really scream Nate and Sully to me.
Which is strange because I feel like they got Chloe Frazer prety much spot on.

SnakeSurprise

Huge fan of the games...I would argue that U4 is the best single player campaign in vid game history.

But this just looks silly...scenes across the games cobbled together with a cast that is awkward at best.

Was looking forward to the trailer but this one is DOA.

Dyland

I remember when everyone thought the casting in Superman Returns felt like "younger actors cosplaying" as the characters, even though they were just about the same age as the principal actors on the original Superman. But this is way too far. Granted, I'm not a big Tom Holland fan either, but this just seems like a poor career move. I feel bad for him.

Definitely should have cast someone older (for both Nate and Sully). If you gotta go with someone younger, I would've picked Josh Hutcherson. He's pushing 30 and better suites the 'Nathan Drake' look, so to speak.

I swear, Hollywood has been making some really weird casting choices the past 10 years. It's almost like they're in a game of one upping each other at who can cast the least convincing actor! :p So far, this takes the cake!

emtiem

Do you think they've retooled Drake for this movie because of Indy? After all, Drake is remarkably similar to Indy in terms of being experienced, a bit haphazard, sort of wryly self-deprecating, getting out of situations by luck as much as judgement half the time etc. which is obviously all fine in a video game because it's a different medium and you can be Indy-inspired and still get away with it- half the appeal of Uncharted is that they feel like movies, and leaning on Indiana Jones was a fairly major part of that, especially in the early games. But to actually make a movie which stars, effectively, a complete ripoff of Indy is perhaps a different matter because now you're actually on Indy's turf, in the cinema, and that may not work so well, and you come off as looking unoriginal. So maybe they felt they had to make him a bit more distinct by making him a sort of young, inexperienced version..?

Interesting to note incidentally that the new Mission Impossible movie seems to have a sequence set in a train carriage hanging vertically...

curmudgeon

Second Trailer Dropped:

I feel like this is a slightly better trailer than the first. Or at least shows off a bit more of the spectacle in a way that makes it look more interesting.

emtiem

I only just saw that trailer: it looks fine, doesn't it? I'm not expecting greatness but if it's an entertaining adventure movie I'll be happy, and the bit with the flying ships looks good fun, even if everything looks very CG heavy.

Banderas (I hadn't quite noticed he was in both this and Indy!) posted this poster:

emtiem

It's not getting great reviews; pretty much 2 stars all round from what I've seen. Very much a 'I'll wait until it's on Netflix' film.

Raffey

Well that’s too bad but I kind of expected it. Outside of playing Spider-man, I’ve yet to see Tom Holland in a movie I liked. I did have hopes for Uncharted. Loved that game when it first came out.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Interview with director Ruben Fleischer:
Q: I was trying to count the Indiana Jones references until Tom Holland just mentions Indiana Jones by name and kind of pulls the rug under that. You’re obviously doing that on purpose and wanting people to know.
A: Yeah, very much so. I mean, I hope we didn’t gild the lily too much. But yeah. I mean, it’s my favorite movie. And so, I wanted pay it tribute and also let the audiences know we get it. There is overlap and we’re not doing it to be derivative. We’re doing it to honor something that we love.