Petition to Eliminate Martin Caiden Indy Books!

HovitosKing

Oh man, don't start off with Martin Caidin's stuff...it's truly horrible. Max McCoy was probably the best, although Rob MacGregor had a few good ones too. Caidin just flat out bombed, rest his soul.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Every now and then a Caidin admirer finds this thread to call us philistines. But the merger just didn't work. Consider "The National Air and Space Museum Presents Indiana Jones" ...it would go over like the Enola Gay exhibit. Pop culture belongs in the other Smithsonian across the mall.

I'm not for burning Caidin's books, but if we do, can we use the young adult books for kindling?

Doc Savage

HovitosKing said:
Max McCoy was probably the best, although Rob MacGregor had a few good ones too.
Yeah...McCoy for action and that pulp feel, MacGregor for characterization. I'm gonna start petitioning Mike Mignola to do an Indy story, right after I nipple-twist Lucas into giving him permission.

Johan

This thread is still around after a few years? Plain and simple...the books suck for an Indy story but make a good read for a flight/airplane manual.

Viper

It would be dishonoring his life's work to eliminate them. He loved writing, and he also loved Indiana Jones. If you don't like his books, don't freaking read them.

Johan

I love writing music and I love Indiana Jones...Doesn't mean I'm going to write a new composition for Indiana Jones and put it on cd. He's accomplished enough in His life that we can exclude his Indy books from the others. I got nothing against the guy...he just didn't capture Indy in his books. It's like he wrote 2 action storys with LOTS of airplanes in it and decided to name the main Charachter Indiana Jones after they were done.

Viper

Maybe it's a writing thing, I love writing and I love Indiana Jones, and I wrote a book in the 3rd grade starring Indiana Jones. I admit, it was like 7 pages long and probably had less than 300 words, but I was in the 3rd grade, and it was the fact that I did write it. Last year I did start to write a much better Indy book, but after about 20 pages I stopped to write my own novel that can be published without George Lucas' permission. I now have almost 10 chapters written, and I'm very poud of the result.
Maybe only a writer can respect another writer's work, so unless you can write an Indy novel (or any novel) better than him, leave him alone.

Johan

Dr.Sartorius said:
Give the man some respect. He may not have been the best Indy novelist but that doesn't mean his books are worthless.

Not all his books are worthless...just his Indy books.

Viper

You know, many people actually prefer his books, and if they were eliminated, it would not be very well taken by most people.

I, personally, prefer Rob MacGregor's books. The only thing I don't like about them is that "protective eagle" thing. I think it's interesting, but confusing.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Viper said:
many people actually prefer his books
Mention three of those people. :whip:

The eagle appears on both the MacGregor and McCoy books.

logo.png

Viper

Really? I've read two of his books and never heard it....

And I know there were 2 or 3 people on just this site that prefer his.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Heard what? I've read two MacGregor's and two McCoy's and have no idea what you're talking about. I thought you meant that eagle with the sword and leaves in the beginning of every chapter, which I posted a pic of.
Viper said:
Who?

Johan

Viper said:
Really? I've read two of his books and never heard it....

Do these people write textbooks or dictionaries for a living? Then it would make sense.:sleep:

Viper

No, in Macgregor's books at least, he tells about an indian giving Indy some type of protective eagle that guides him or whatever. Out of the books I've read, it appears most in the Last Crusade novelisation.

And I don't remember who, but I remember seeing a few times someone saying that he was their favorite author.

mfisher

I have read all of the McGregor books.. loved them.. loads of fun.. but I could not make it halfway through Caiden.. zzzzzzzzzzzz skipping ahead to the McCoy books i guess...

Marcus Jones

I'm a relatively new Indy fan, and I've only read one book, this being White Witch by Martin Caidin. Personally, I really enjoyed this book, and although the ending was a bit naff, I hardly noticed his talk about aircraft. I haven't read any other books by him, but I though White Witch was really good.

Canyon

I know I have posted already, but Shipwreck, that was a beautiful post! :D

Indy_Jones88 said:
"Show a little backbone" Rotla

Give Caiden a break. He died writing Indy books. i doubt you could do much better IndyJohan. Show a little respect for someone who really tried.

Also, not everyone hates his books, I personally liked them.

I agree. I liked the books as well, and I wish that people around here would show a bit more respect when speaking about Mr Caidin. :(