Ideas For New Indy Actor

Raiders90

It's pretty stupid to let a franchise which has tons of potential die off with an actor. Indy can be more than Harrison. And when he's gone, or when he cannot play it anymore, it should be. With newer writers, newer directors. Just stick to the groundwork for the character that was developed between 1978 and 1981 and get an actor who is pretty much a Cary Grant/Clark Gable/Humphrey Bogart clone like Harrison was and it'd work. It's not a role where the actor was some amazing method actor. It's not like remaking The Godfather, where Brando created the character (the look, the way he spoke, etc). Indy isn't about an actor or even the character in terms of backstory or whatever. Indiana Jones has parameters but it's more about a vicarious existence than a character, actor based piece. It could work fine without Harrison.

mikieson

Raiders112390 said:
It's pretty stupid to let a franchise which has tons of potential die off with an actor. Indy can be more than Harrison. And when he's gone, or when he cannot play it anymore, it should be. With newer writers, newer directors. Just stick to the groundwork for the character that was developed between 1978 and 1981 and get an actor who is pretty much a Cary Grant/Clark Gable/Humphrey Bogart clone like Harrison was and it'd work. It's not a role where the actor was some amazing method actor. It's not like remaking The Godfather, where Brando created the character (the look, the way he spoke, etc). Indy isn't about an actor or even the character in terms of backstory or whatever. Indiana Jones has parameters but it's more about a vicarious existence than a character, actor based piece. It could work fine without Harrison.
So...Brando made The Godfather, but HF didnt make Indy? Strange..AND for the record,...I found the Godfather movie to be BLAH!..Maybe in 100 years people will forget about HF being Indy..Then it will go over..BUT for now?..Not gonna happen.

Finn

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
Just stick to the groundwork for the character that was developed between 1978 and 1981 and get an actor who is pretty much a Cary Grant/Clark Gable/Humphrey Bogart clone like Harrison was and it'd work.
Disagree. Ford's performance is widely regarded as a key component to Indy's success up to this day. Okay, he may not be the greatest character actor around and might require the right role to truly shine - but Indy was definitely one of them. To claim that any square-jawed estrogen bait could pull that off is rather frivolous.

Though I do think that it's equally frivolous to claim that anybody but Ford couldn't pull it off. With the right face and right crew around him it would certainly be doable, be it in line with the original continuity or a reboot.

Raiders90

mikieson said:
So...Brando made The Godfather, but HF didnt make Indy? Strange..AND for the record,...I found the Godfather movie to be BLAH!..Maybe in 100 years people will forget about HF being Indy..Then it will go over..BUT for now?..Not gonna happen.

Brando created:
How Vito Corleone looked (It was his idea to add cotton balls to his cheeks to create the appearance of jowls, his idea to slick his hair back and long, his idea to grow the little mustache)
How Vito Corleone sounded (He listened to tapes of famous Mafia figures and created a composite of it in that raspy voice. His own idea, no input from anyone else).

The only major contribution HF made to the character of Indy in terms of who the character is is the Arab swordsman scene. He didn't design how Indy dressed or who Indy's personality was, etc. He didn't decide on the fedora and jacket.

And you finding The Godfather to be blah is just indicative of your taste, or lack thereof.

Raiders90

Finn said:
Disagree. Ford's performance is widely regarded as a key component to Indy's success up to this day. Okay, he may not be the greatest character actor around and might require the right role to truly shine - but Indy was definitely one of them. To claim that any square-jawed estrogen bait could pull that off is rather frivolous.

Though I do think that it's equally frivolous to claim that anybody but Ford couldn't pull it off. With the right face and right crew around him it would certainly be doable, be it in line with the original continuity or a reboot.

I just think it's more that the "persona" of Harrison Ford makes it seem like that. I think any just as skilled actor could make "Indy" and make it work. Not any square jawed handsome guy, but any guy with the square jawed look and the grit to back it up. Harrison is wooden. He plays the same guy in every movie.

If Humphrey Bogart or Cary Grant or Gable or Ronald Coleman had been alive/young enough to play Indiana Jones, they'd have done just as good, if not better a job than Harrison.

mikieson

Raiders112390 said:
Brando created:
How Vito Corleone looked (It was his idea to add cotton balls to his cheeks to create the appearance of jowls, his idea to slick his hair back and long, his idea to grow the little mustache)
How Vito Corleone sounded (He listened to tapes of famous Mafia figures and created a composite of it in that raspy voice. His own idea, no input from anyone else).

The only major contribution HF made to the character of Indy in terms of who the character is is the Arab swordsman scene. He didn't design how Indy dressed or who Indy's personality was, etc. He didn't decide on the fedora and jacket.

And you finding The Godfather to be blah is just indicative of your taste, or lack thereof.

So you find that people having different taste in movies wrong? That right there tells me all i need to know about you..AND if im not mistaken HF did have some say so about the Indy character and some of the scenes..

The Godfather to me blows..its not my kind of movie no matter the praise it gets. :hat:

Henry W Jones

Not liking the Godfather is crazy (to each their own) but I do think saying Harrison has nothing to do with the way Indy is on screen is just as crazy. I have to agree with Finn on "Ford's performance is widely regarded as a key component to Indy's success up to this day". I don't believe that someone else "couldn't" play the role but it would not be an Indiana Jones film to me. While I have enjoyed a few non-Con-nery Bond films I still only see Sean as 007. I don't like other actors picking up roles that have already been done because it rarely works well. The only time it is acceptable is in a situation like Harry Potter while in the middle of telling a huge story one of your actor dies and they are crucial to the storyline. I hate the new voice work on the Muppets cuz it doesn't sound like the original cast so continuity is very important to me. I would like to see one more Ford film and then see Indy be a silver screen legend that other movie series aspire to be in the future. I love the character but to me doing earlier stories should have been done a long time ago when Ford had a little more youth on his side.

Last edited:

mikieson

never watched them, but didnt the National Treasure movies get good reviews? IF SO then Nicholas Cage can be our new Indy..:rolleyes:

Just give me one more film with HF as Indy and you people can make whatever other Indy films you want. Just dont expect the true fans to follow along.Wont happen.

Henry W Jones

mikieson said:
never watched them, but didnt the National Treasure movies get good reviews? IF SO then Nicholas Cage can be our new Indy..:rolleyes:

Just give me one more film with HF as Indy and you people can make whatever other Indy films you want. Just dont expect the true fans to follow along.Wont happen.

That would be funny!!! All the lines would be whispered or yelled. (y)
Also the Nation Treasure movies were decent but they were a little too Disney.

Hanselation

Always there will be only one original: Ford is Indiana Jones
And he would be still believable as Action Hero (Picture from the Golden Globes 2012)
1201Ford.jpg

Anything else will just be a copy. Maybe a good one, but never as good as the original.

Raiders90

Hanselation said:
Always there will be only one original: Ford is Indiana Jones
And he would be still believable as Action Hero (Picture from the Golden Globes 2012)
1201Ford.jpg

Anything else will just be a copy. Maybe a good one, but never as good as the original.

SEAN CONNERY IS JAMES BOND. ANYONE ELSE IS JUST A COPY.

And by the way, Harrison looks like a wrinkled old lady nowadays.
article-2082946-0F59E12A00000578-668_634x547.jpg

The fact is, he turned in an odd, off performance in KOTCS. He's going to be 70 soon. He's too old, for one. And someday, he'll die. And a franchise, an idea as great as Indiana Jones shouldn't die with Harrison Ford. That's ridiculous.

mikieson

Someone better clone HF cause take my word..Indiana Jones will die when HF does..He is the only choice..now raise your guns and show your support!!!:gun:

Raiders90

mikieson said:
Someone better clone HF cause take my word..Indiana Jones will die when HF does..He is the only choice..now raise your guns and show your support!!!:gun:

:rolleyes:

Harrison Ford is the greatest actor in the history of cinema. There is no one who can even star in adventure films. Nope. He is better than Bogart, Connery, John Wayne, Gable and Brando all combined. No actor, past, present, or future can match Harrison's sweet, delicious greatness.

Mickiana

Yes, Harrison is (was?) a great Indiana Jones. He is the original, so to speak, but we should remember much of the character was borrowed from past movie characters. In that way, a new Indiana Jones played by a younger actor will borrow greatly from Harrison's Indiana. In fact he will have no choice. He will have to be largely like Harrison's rendition. But the later this happens the less likeness has to occur as he will be playing to newer audiences. But the hat, jacket and whip will always be there, with that three day growth, a dame in tow and hopefully some of those contradictory characteristics typical of the earlier Harrison-Indy (makes me think of 'Brundlefly'!)

ps I heard Harrison was too great for Raiders, but after groveling at this feet for three days and three nights George Lucas managed to persuade him to lower himself to acting in a B grade flick.

Last edited:

mikieson

Raiders112390 said:
:rolleyes:

Harrison Ford is the greatest actor in the history of cinema. There is no one who can even star in adventure films. Nope. He is better than Bogart, Connery, John Wayne, Gable and Brando all combined. No actor, past, present, or future can match Harrison's sweet, delicious greatness.

I dont think anyone has said HF was the greatest actor in history? BUT out of those that you mentioned,I have to say he is better but Connery would come up 2nd and the rest can blow..:) "goooooday!" 'paul harvey':hat:

Raiders90

mikieson said:
I dont think anyone has said HF was the greatest actor in history? BUT out of those that you mentioned,I have to say he is better but Connery would come up 2nd and the rest can blow..:) "goooooday!" 'paul harvey':hat:

So let me get this straight...
Harrison Ford, who plays the same character in every movie he's in, is better than Marlon Brando, better than John Wayne, better than Humphrey Bogart, better than Clark Gable?

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

Watch Wife Force One on Youtube. Perhaps it'll open your eyes.

mikieson

Raiders112390 said:
So let me get this straight...
Harrison Ford, who plays the same character in every movie he's in, is better than Marlon Brando, better than John Wayne, better than Humphrey Bogart, better than Clark Gable?

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

Watch Wife Force One on Youtube. Perhaps it'll open your eyes.
Like I stated to you before..everyone has their own idea of a great movie, actor, music, videogame ect..

The greatest movie of all time might be Gone With The Wind by all critiques and millions of other people..to me..My favorite movie of all time might be Waterboy..Who's to say im wrong and they are right? You cant go by a majority vote on something like this.

It might be a thing of...they are too old and before my time? I dont like older movies..never have. So in turn, I more then likely will not like the actors. I stand my ground..as in...I have my opinion on matters..HF IS INDY..you want someone else to play him, wait until im dead. As it is, we have 4 good movies to look at and reflect on..

Raiders90

mikieson said:
Like I stated to you before..everyone has their own idea of a great movie, actor, music, videogame ect..

The greatest movie of all time might be Gone With The Wind by all critiques and millions of other people..to me..My favorite movie of all time might be Waterboy..Who's to say im wrong and they are right? You cant go by a majority vote on something like this.

It might be a thing of...they are too old and before my time? I dont like older movies..never have. So in turn, I more then likely will not like the actors. I stand my ground..as in...I have my opinion on matters..HF IS INDY..you want someone else to play him, wait until im dead. As it is, we have 4 good movies to look at and reflect on..

I don't have to wait until you're dead because your opinion thankfully doesn't dictate reality.
So, what's the cap on a movie being too old? I mean, Raiders is 31 years old. By some standards, that's an old film. It certainly is "before my time"...But that doesn't stop it from being a good movie. Just because something is "old" doesn't automatically make it "blow" to use the word you used. By refusing to give movies that are "before your time" a chance, you'll be missing out on some of the best films of all time, like Casablanca, Rio Bravo, Sabrina, The Misfits, North by Northwest, It Happened One Night, The Wild One, etc.

When the majority vote on something like a film for 70 years, or for 40 years, I think the majority is on to something. Like the majority agree that Raiders is a classic.