General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Darth Vile

Violet Indy said:
I still think the Garden of Eden has great potential. So would love to see that as the MacGuffin. In terms of characters, I would want Marion to return because I felt she was way underused in KOTCS and just was underdeveloped in general and would like to see a film that uses her properly in the narrative. Mutt I think should only return for part of the film as it has been suggested already. The opening adventure including Mutt and then leaving for school, Mutt says something like, "don't get into trouble while I'm gone" and somehow Indy and Marion get into trouble or whatever. Mutt coming back at the very very end (not in the final climax).

The reality is, (as much as one may not like it), is that Indy V will have to include younger supporting characters in order to appeal to the younger demographic. It's just a question of who you want your younger characters to be e.g. son/daughter/Indy's younger brother etc. etc.

For any potential Indy V, I'd either be tempted to use the character of Mutt again - as a supporting character (more out of necessity than desire), or go the ‘True Grit’ route.

QBComics

I actually think now that we have had Indy 4 with Mutt, we can can have older characters now. Kids now know Indy and want to go see him in action.

I would say leave Marion and Mutt out of it. We had them, and they've had plenty of time to show thier personality and background.

Prequel! Darker! Less CGI!

arkfinder

Again nothing "offical" But, if I'd love to see Henry Jones SR in flashback dream. If Conery would agree to a tiny cameo.

Also, I hope they bring Sallah back into the Indy fold. That would perk fan interest.

Indy's brother

Darth Vile said:
The reality is, (as much as one may not like it), is that Indy V will have to include younger supporting characters in order to appeal to the younger demographic. It's just a question of who you want your younger characters to be e.g. son/daughter/Indy's younger brother etc. etc.

For any potential Indy V, I'd either be tempted to use the character of Mutt again - as a supporting character (more out of necessity than desire), or go the ?True Grit? route.

I'm going to have to disagree. There doesn't have to be an 18 yr old in a movie for an 18 yr old viewer to enjoy it. I saw Raiders when I was 11, and loved it. Not an 11 old character to be seen in that film. I didn't need to be pandered to in that way to love Indy, and I don't think that younger audiences today are any different. The beards may think that way, and you may agree, but I don't.

Funny you mentioned True Grit. Before KOTCS came out, I saw a pic (which I can't find now) of Indy flinching at the rat snake while he was sinking in quick sand. The snake pit scene from True Grit immediately came to mind.

James

QBComics said:
I actually think now that we have had Indy 4 with Mutt, we can can have older characters now.

I think Ford surprised a lot of people with his performance in KOTCS, while proving that he could still headline a blockbuster film.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Harrison Ford - "going Palin"

There's a nastily structured (most likely to gain clicks) new Interview with Mr. F. over at moviefone. It doesn't contain anything interesting or new besides Mr. F hilariously forgetting a question and excusing himself for "going Palin" on the interviewer and the following cryptic sentence:

(...)there's definitely a distinction between passing the fedora and someone picking it up.

Someone has spent too much time with George Lucas.

Here, in full context:
6. At the end of 'Crystal Skull,' Indy ALMOST passes his fedora and thus the torch to Mutt. Are there any plans for the franchise to go that way, with Shia LaBeouf taking over the mantle?

No, that's never been [the idea]. As George has famously said, we'd have to call it 'Mutt Jones: The Search for Elvis.' [Laughs.] I think it just doesn't work that way. And there's definitely a distinction between passing the fedora and someone picking it up.

Ok, ...it could mean: I, Harrison Ford, am deciding what's happening with my character.
Or he may hint on the fact that he already has passed the fedora (he practically hasn't in the movie but theoretically it felt to me as if he had) but it still needs to be picked up ...or something. :confused:

Maybe (gender alert) this is just your typical case of the logical gaps in male/female communication or a lack of neuronal contacts on my part but I don't understand him.

The Man

torao said:
There's a nastily structured (most likely to gain clicks) new Interview with Mr. F. over at moviefone. It doesn't contain anything interesting or new besides Mr. F hilariously forgetting a question and excusing himself for "going Palin" on the interviewer and the following cryptic sentence:

Someone has spent too much time with George Lucas.

Here, in full context:

Ok, ...it could mean: I, Harrison Ford, am deciding what's happening with my character.
Or he may hint on the fact that he already has passed the fedora (he practically hasn't in the movie but theoretically it felt to me as if he had) but it still needs to be picked up ...or something.

To avoid further 'confusedness', he needs to staple that hat to his head for real...

James

torao said:
Or he may hint on the fact that he already has passed the fedora (he practically hasn't in the movie but theoretically it felt to me as if he had) but it still needs to be picked up ...or something.

When Spielberg first announced the film at Comic Con, he mentioned having the fans' reaction in mind during certain shots. My impression of the "near torch passing" at the end was that it was just such a shot. It felt like Spielberg's way of teasing the fans, since they had been speculating for months that Shia would be taking over.

I don't see much room for confusion with Ford's quote. There is a difference between teasing the audience that Mutt will don the fedora- and clearly passing the mantle on to him.

Ford also sounds pretty congruent when he says they never considered the idea. Lucas only mentioned it back in May/June, and even then he admitted, "I haven't even told this to Steven or Harrison yet." He later downplayed the idea, and repeated Spielberg's insistence (at Cannes) that "Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones".

And there's definitely a distinction between passing the fedora and someone picking it up.

Now that I've read the interview...

I think you were viewing that last part as "and someone accepting the role". But again, I think Ford was referring to what we saw in the actual film. The decision to let Mutt pick up the fedora- and have it be played for a laugh- isn't quite the same as symbolically passing the role to his character.

michael

Well, reading through this thread, a lot of up & downs I tell ya. One moment I'm like Yes, it could definitely work!--the next, I'm like Umm...I'm not so sure about it. However, I don't see how a prequel could work. Unless they do a 6th film. Indy could not end on a prequel. It wouldn't seem right.

Anyways, if they do make a 5th---my humble request would be some sort of cold climate set piece (obviously longer than the Nepal scene).

caats

yeah i would prefer it not be a prequel. that would seem unnecessary, i mean i spent most of my childhood not knowing Temple of Doom was a prequel. i'm really hoping for Indy 5. but it'd need to start filming next year.

foreignerfred

I don't think you have to make it a prequel in order to get rid of the constant presence of Mutt and Marion...

think about it folks.

If a police man or FBI agent finds out they have a son they never knew they had, do they show up to work the next day, son in hand, and say, "Here's my new partner!" And the same goes for when that same cop or agent gets married?

Indy's life is dangerous. I don't know how a writer could make it make sense for Indy and his family to go out on adventures all the time.

Ff

PS: And YES. Give us Indy V.

The Man

Spielberg and Dreamworks don't go far...

http://www.canmag.com/nw/12516-dreamworks-universal-pictures-pact

DreamWorks and Universal Pictures Sign Pact

The seven-year pact between DreamWorks and Universal Pictures has some serious conditions. While Universal was willing to commit $150 million to the new venture, they will be requiring an 8% distribution fee on DreamWorks releases. Sounds fair, and DreamWorks will be able to feel out the deal, as Paramount remains obligated to distribute plenty of the studio's projects.

"Universal has always been my home base, so this agreement starts a new chapter in what has been a long and successful association," said Spielberg. "While it feels great to come home again, it feels like I never left."

Awww...

michael

Awww

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/38YN_aCRIzE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/38YN_aCRIzE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>