The Frank Darabont Script

Dr. Gonzo

Moedred said:
I won't be satisfied until both Darabont scripts leak.
Frank, choose which Hollywood Starbucks to 'forget' them at next summer.

there are two different darabont scripts? I am amazed! what are the differences? age of the script? time periods? characters? anybody know?:confused:

seasider said:
The interest in Indy for kids depends on a lot on whether or not their parents are fans of the movies. That's where the exposure will come from if they're ever going to see the new movie. I know several kids who like the movies and others who have no interest in it. If the movie rocks, everybody will see it eventually.

All I have to say is that I'm sure a lot of the appeal of this new Indy film on the younger audience will depend on the first impressions they'll have from watching the teaser trailer. If it fails in its purposes, then young people won't probably be interested in the movie, perhaps apart from the die-hard fans of Shia LaBeouf.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the Darabont's script. (Two scripts?? :confused:)
Hey but I would love to... :)

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Infinity_Film posted in some parallel virtual world:

(...)I would love to be Frank Darabont. His draft was better than the first film. So, he must be a very lucky man.

Yeah, I know, this is just one opinion. And ...who says all the more recent drafts aren't even better?

But ...it hurts to read stuff like that. It ...hurts... :)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
there are two different darabont scripts? I am amazed! what are the differences? age of the script?
He wrote both drafts between June 2002 and January 2004.

Dr. Gonzo

So then in theory if Mr. Koepp is the sole credited writer that means either:

A. Keopp did one hell of a re-write, which seems to me should have taken alot longer, unless he really truly is that skilled. (This worries me because I remember spielberg had him under the gun trying to get it done fast. I hope if this is the case the I really hope that the quality does not suffer.)

or

B. Mr. Darabont does not detest this fact, which to me would be strange after some of the things he has said.

Then again I really cant say having never seen this holy grail of scripts with mine own eyes.

Reggie

I'd read nothing into Koepp currently being credited. Its currently too early for the script to have gone though writer's guild arbitration, as is required, and no ruling could have yet been issued.

trippweeder

Go to indianajones.com and click on the CREDITS button on the bottom of the page: you'll see the cast and crew lineup as will appear on the poster.

Keopp is sole scriptwriter.

Lucas takes the sole story credit.

La Beouf takes the final actor credit (and Shia La Beouf).

Reggie

Yeah, I know. That's what they're saying on that sight right now, but its only tentative. After writers guild arbitration, which is required, a ruling will come down as to who is credited, and Steven and George must abide by it and credit the appropiate person(s), that is, if they want to continue working with guild writers, which Steve definitely does. So, as I said, I wouldn't put too much stock in the current Koepp credit.

Dr. Gonzo

Given that it has been awhile since anyone has posted in this thread... I was reading through some of the recent posts and it seems like some of you are saying things about the darabont scripts that I had never heard before, so... to all that know things about the darabond drafts... lets us share and recap the knowledge that we do have about his version.

Post what you know!

sandiegojones

Avilos said:
I am a big fan of Darabont's work but he does come off as a whiner. Scripts are rewritten all the time. Especially films of this size get many rewrites. If his ideas are a significant part of the film he should get a credit. But it does not sound like he really knows what is in the film or not. He's just hearing it second hand.

First he was complaining that he wasted a year...and now he is trying to take credit for it....which means he did not waste that year, huh???? I predicted he would do this when he last spoke on this subject!

I think it will be interesting to hear what Spielberg says about Darabont's script. HE is bound to be questioned intensely about that when he give interviews for the fan based press next year. He certainly will not say Darabont's was better than what they shot. I have always maintained that Lucas took the blame for this because he does not seem to care what anyone thinks of him, while Steven certainly does care. If he wanted to direct that version it would have happened and George would have gone along with it.
I agree with this assessment. I don't get why people are being negative that Lucas rejected the script. How do you know there isn't something ridiculous in it? Like the neo-Nazi's that have been confirmed to be in that script. And why can't Indy have a son? He has a dad...and a peni$, so scientifically it's possible!

Last edited:

xVendetta17x

The Stranger said:
I'm only hoping Shia's character won't be Indy's son... I still don't like at all the idea of Indy having a son. I've always seen him as a James Bond-like character, a great hero who lives epic stories of passion but doesn't actually have time for a family... even if the years have passed...

I've just heard it so much that i'm used to it by now, and have come to accpet it.
I remember at first I was skeptical but now it doesn't seem that bad of an idea, it's the natural flow of things.
It's even funnier if Indy didn't know he knocked someone up.
I thought it was a brilliant marketing strategy to bring in Shia, after the success of Transformers and Disturbia his appearence will bring in younger audiences who have been starved of great films.
And it's not like he's Hayden Christensen, Shia is a great young actor.

But back to the topic at hand, I have faith in Koepp's abilities as a writer, and what he did add onto Darabont's script must be brilliant.
In defense of "Monkey King" Indy ridin on a Rhino would've been sweet to see on screen... the mysogony on the the other hand...

bergstrom

Are details/judgements of the arbitration made public? I suppose we would have known by now. Unless Frank just dropped it.

Berg

nitzsche

The story credit would always go to Lucas who comes up with the general idea and background and any contributor who offers ideas on the characters.

The screenplay credit would go to the guy who writes the dialogue and fine-tunes the plot.

With the Indy films, much of the story and plot centers on preconceived action scenes that Lucas, Spielberg and other producers want to see in the film.

I don't think Darabont's draft would entitle him to a story or screenplay credit unless he contributed a major portion of the story idea and characters.

DaveTheHutt

Is there any evidence to support this theory that Darabont's script was some sort of long-lost classic? He's not a bad scriptwriter - especially when it comes to Stephen King adaptations - but anyone would think we'd lost the cure the cancer the way some people go on about it!

Perhilion

DaveTheHutt said:
Is there any evidence to support this theory that Darabont's script was some sort of long-lost classic? He's not a bad scriptwriter - especially when it comes to Stephen King adaptations - but anyone would think we'd lost the cure the cancer the way some people go on about it!
I think most people are basing this off of the fact that he is a good screenwriter. But that doesn't mean he can do a good Indy movie.

sandiegojones

Perhilion said:
I think most people are basing this off of the fact that he is a good screenwriter. But that doesn't mean he can do a good Indy movie.
Good point noted though that all of his good stuff game from adaptations of novels. Lucas has more of a vague outline and perhaps what he wrote to fill in the gaps wasn't so hot. The gaps are already filled in a novel!

oki9Sedo

Darabont's story involving neo-Nazis in South America sounds like a great idea, but NOT when two of the previous three already involved Nazis.

Having the Russians is better in my mind.

sandiegojones

I've been expecting Russians for 15 years. It just made sense given Indy's age and the dominant super powers of that time. Neo-Nazi's are just a bad retread and not very creative, which leads me to beleive that there was a lot of other stuff that was sub-par.

Thank goodness the Neo-Nazis route was abolished. Fresh ideas are integral in maintaining interest. What other ideas were on the table? Neo-Thuggees?