John Hurt Speaks (a little)

mr.wolf

The Stranger said:
Uhm... to me he still sounds very unconvinced. As a matter of facts, he didn't say the movie will be loved by fans.
He only stated an obvious thing: the movie will be a box office hit in the first weekend, because it's been hyped a lot in the last few years.

But that's for sure... I mean... Indy is known and loved by millions of people in the world. And he is finally back, after almost 20 years since "The Last Crusade"!! It's clear that every fan in the world will go and see the movie during the first weekend. We have all been waiting for it for soooo damn long!!

But what will happen after the first weekend??? If the movie isn't good (and when Hurt says "Whether it has legs will remain to be seen.", I think that's a subtle way to mean "To me, this movie is NOT good at all.") maybe things will start to go worse...

Any ideas?? :confused:

Ya thats thinking positive....

Darth Vile

To infer from that interview that KOTCS is somehow poor is just plain idiotic. It doesn't even come close to suggesting that.

Darth Vile said:
To infer from that interview that KOTCS is somehow poor is just plain idiotic. It doesn't even come close to suggesting that.

I didn't infer anything, in fact. And I didn't even come close to suggesting that... I only noticed that, since this thread is named "John Hurt changes tune" and since WE KNOW that he has never been fond of this movie, assuming that he has recently changed his mind about the film is, maybe, going a little too far with imagination.

Read throug the lines of the interview. He doesn't say "I'm sure this movie will be great". He only says a tepid "This movie will be a killer in the first weekend, but after then... will remain to be seen".

We all know this movie will rock during the debut weekend. It's absolutely sure it will. John Hurt knows it too.
But reading from the interview, I still can't see so much enthusiasm in him. He thinks this movie will be nothing special. And to me he still seems pretty convinced about his ideas, as of now. So, has he changed tune?? DEFINITELY NOT.

mr.wolf said:
Ya thats thinking positive....

Wait a sec... I'm totally positive about this movie. (y) (y) Can't wait to see it.

The Man

To be honest, I posted this thread only after reading the headline on The Raider mainpage, which implies that Hurt thinks the movie is great stuff altogether. So apologies. Maybe I should have called it "John Hurt Cha - oh, hold on..bollocks, he still hates it."

The Man said:
To be honest, I posted this thread only after reading the headline on The Raider mainpage, which implies that Hurt thinks the movie is great stuff altogether. So apologies. Maybe I should have called it "John Hurt Cha - oh, hold on..bollocks, he still hates it."

LOL :D :D

In any case, my post wasn't meant to be a criticism towards you. (y) So don't worry. :gun:

Michael24

To think there's a chance this movie will not perform strongly beyond the first weekend is, I think, ludicrous. This will unquestionably be one of the biggest hits of the year, though I'd like to see it be the biggest.

Mutt Williams

He says, "I am sworn to secrecy on the plot. But, quite frankly, it is just like the other three. Indiana Jones is a tried and tested franchise. Lot of build-up. Let's hope the public like it. It will be a guaranteed for the first weekend. Whether it has legs will remain to be seen."

"just like the other three"

"Raiders" is my favorite movie of all time. This means "Skull" could be my next favorite movie of all time!

This is positive news to me.

FordFan

Will someone fill John Hurt's half empty cup? The guy comes off as a total deuche with that quotation.

Darth Vile

When John Hurt was interviewed on Jonathan Ross last week he stated that he hadn't seen the movie or even had a good quality print to do his dubbing to. I would suggest that Hurt knows little about what the movie will be like other than what he experienced on the actual set... So I wouldn't set my stall out by his comments anyway.

The Man

Darth Vile said:
When John Hurt was interviewed on Jonathan Ross last week he stated that he hadn't seen the movie or even had a good quality print to do his dubbing to. I would suggest that Hurt knows little about what the movie will be like other than what he experienced on the actual set... So I wouldn't set my stall out by his comments anyway.

Hurt was one of the few who requested and recieved a copy of the script before he signed on, so he knew what he was getting into. And no, he hasn't seen the film yet, and probably won't until May 18th.

The Man

Darth Vile said:
So one assumes he wouldn't sign up with a bad script in hand...

Precisely. He seems to have a contempt for something - or someone - peripheral to the movie. Maybe he doesn't like the legal landmines that Lucas threatens people with. He's suing the costume designer of Star Wars now...

oki9Sedo

The Man said:
Precisely. He seems to have a contempt for something - or someone - peripheral to the movie. Maybe he doesn't like the legal landmines that Lucas threatens people with. He's suing the costume designer of Star Wars now...

"George is a bit socially crippled, really. Not good with people. So I just left him alone"

Thats what Hurt had to say about him.

The Man

Hurt was quizzed a little more, the intricate details of which were on Teletext Page 321 for a while last night...

Hurt said: "I can't say anything about that, you know that. Who says I couldn't be Indiana's father?!"

But the 68-year-old actor revealed he had enjoyed working with Karen Allen, who plays Marion Ravenwood, Abner's daughter. He said: "It was huge fun, great fun. It was great fun working with Harrison, terrific working with Shia - a fabulous young actor, fabulous - and with Cate and Karen.

"And, of course, Ray - let me not forget Raymondo who I'm gonna be working with again next. So, it was a lot of fun yes it was.

"Yes a few little bits and pieces in the old scrapbook from there."

Well, it's a little cheerier than we've come to expect from Ol' John.

The Man

These Guys Have Their Minds Made Up...

http://living.scotsman.com/features/Never-lose-the-edge-.3998828.jp

Then there is the small matter of being in this year's most anticipated blockbuster: Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, what Hurt rightly calls "a biggie". He plays Abner Ravenwood, the professor from Raiders Of The Lost Ark, though he isn't allowed to speak about the film – "they'd sue if they found out I'd been giving things away". So we talk about Harrison Ford instead, who is three years his junior.

"The great accusation against Harrison is that he can't act but he knows exactly what he's doing, and that is acting," says Hurt. "He really does lead a company and that's quite rare nowadays. You find a lot of stars don't give a bugger about anybody else, but Harrison will spot someone who is only in for a day and go over and make them feel at ease."

FordFan

The Man said:
"The great accusation against Harrison is that he can't act but he knows exactly what he's doing, and that is acting," says Hurt. "He really does lead a company and that's quite rare nowadays. You find a lot of stars don't give a bugger about anybody else, but Harrison will spot someone who is only in for a day and go over and make them feel at ease."

I wonder who thinks Ford can't act. He is a minimalist for sure, but that's a ridiculous argument.

Avilos

We'd always expected his role, which he still won't officially confirm as being Abner Ravenwood, father of Marion, to be just a cameo.

Notice all the commas? It makes it confusing. But this is the what they are actually saying -

We'd always expected his role...to be just a cameo.