USA Weekend interview

The Drifter

In all honesty.
Shia suprised me when I watched Transformers. I liked his acting, and enjoyed him in that movie.

I really have no problem with him in Indy IV. I think him and Ford could have good chemistry together onscreen.
But, what does bother me is the fact that I am seeing Shia, more than I am seeing Ford.

Nurhachi1991

Snakes said:
I'd reserve judgment until you've actually seen the movie.

Yeah I might like Mutt but even than I don't think he deserved the role

Why couldn't they bring back Short Round????? He could be a 35 year old Dockhand unloading cargo from passing ships with his tatterd Yankees cap

The Man

Lonsome_Drifter said:
In all honesty.
Shia suprised me when I watched Transformers. I liked his acting, and enjoyed him in that movie.

I really have no problem with him in Indy IV. I think him and Ford could have good chemistry together onscreen.
But, what does bother me is the fact that I am seeing Shia, more than I am seeing Ford.

Yes. It's not Shia LaBeouf who's the problem. It's the spectre of Mutt Williams overstepping his boundaries. I've only seen LaBeouf in Disturbia - and I like him. He's infinitely more engaging than most of his contemporaries.

Crack that whip

crowmagnumman said:
I can live with aliens and Indy surviving a nuke in a fridge

I could've lived without hearing about the fridge in advance (not that this is the first time I've seen it mentioned here, so I'll let you off the hook :p ). I could also live without it being in the movie, though, depending upon how it's done.

I'm really concerned. I don't know whether to believe this is in the movie or not, and if it is I don't know whether it'll be too cheesy or not. I want the movie to be the greatest thing ever, and I'm so torn between wanting to know how all the spoiler-readers feel about it so I can know whether to lower my expectations, and not wanting to ask them about it since even if I ask for just their general impressions of whether it'll be bad or good, some of them may go into far too much detail...

:(

James

Crack that whip said:
I could've lived without hearing about the fridge in advance

I could've lived without reading the "Saucermen" script, and deluding myself that no element of it would ever be retained.

But for the record, shouldn't spoilers be reserved for the "Spoilers" forum?

The Man

On the upside, the casting of Mutt could have been somewhat worse if left to 'others'...

INT. LUCAS OFFICE, SKYWALKER RANCH - DAY

LUCAS
Gee, you really wowed us with that audition, Jakey. You're in!

LLOYD
Yippeeeee!​

Crack that whip

James said:
But for the record, shouldn't spoilers be reserved for the "Spoilers" forum?

I'd certainly have thought so, which was exactly my point, but they seem to be creeping out here and there anyway. I've completely given up on following certain ostensibly "non-spoiler" threads because they seem to verge too close to spoiler territory for my taste. I'm looking forward to going back and reading them all after I see the movie, though...

I'm considering the fridge to be a rumor; we'll see, I guess (this is not an invitation for anyone who knows about it for sure to tell me)...

Nurhachi1991

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I would love to see Mr. Round's return.
"Wow, you got old Docta Jones!"

Yeah and the line Indy says to Shia don't touch anything which was clearly a referance to TOD

The line would be so much better if Indy said it to a 35 year old Short Round

crowmagnumman

Sorry about my possible spoiler mention. That was a mistake I don't intend to make again. I'm not sure if I can edit that out or not, but I will try.

EDIT: Drat. I can't change it. Very sorry for that.

DarthLowBudget said:
Excuse me for asking this, because it may make me seem crazy, but in what way does the lack of a character like Shia's guarantee some sort of "edge", and how does the presence of a character like his guarantee the lack of this same "edge"? Inquiring minds want to know.

I think without Shia it would be a slightly more adult film. Shia is there to pander to kids. It works, but I don't like it.

The Drifter

crowmagnumman said:
Sorry about my possible spoiler mention. That was a mistake I don't intend to make again. I'm not sure if I can edit that out or not, but I will try.

EDIT: Drat. I can't change it. Very sorry for that.

I think without Shia it would be a slightly more adult film. Shia is there to pander to kids. It works, but I don't like it.

But, Indiana Jones has always leaned toward being for the kids.
We were kids when we first seen them and fell in love with them.

crowmagnumman

Lonsome_Drifter said:

Even when I was a kid I didn't like most movies with kids in them. The Indiana Jones movies were all about Indiana Jones as an adult. The Star Wars movies were about Han Solo. Star Trek was about Captain Kirk, etc. There are a couple good movies with kids in them, like The Goonies, but generally I didn't like them.

JerryKing

Inserting kids (and kiddified adults) into movies seems to have begun in the post-2000 movie period. I know it's done to supposedly attract the teens and preteens, I don't know if most of them are attracted to it, but I know that, thankfully, not all are. There was a recent, better unnamed, movie whose protagonist is - theoretically - a tough and merciless assassin. He was played by an actor who, in spite of definitely being adult, looks like a child and was further made up to look even younger - precisely in order to attract the "even younger" audience. My 15-year old nephew who saw its promotional materials commented "Shouldn't he be a tough character? He looks ridiculous, younger than me!"

Perhilion

On the upside, the casting of Mutt could have been somewhat worse if left to 'others'...

INT. LUCAS OFFICE, SKYWALKER RANCH - DAY

LUCAS
Gee, you really wowed us with that audition, Jakey. You're in!

LLOYD
Yippeeeee!
That would be the pinnacle of evilness. I have no problem with Shia or Mutt, I just don't like how he's getting more of the spotlight than Indy, at least in the advertising.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
This time ford calls the sci-fi elements "hooey-wooey, mysto-crypto."

The words Maui Wowie pakalolo come to mind...

Nurhachi1991

Lonsome_Drifter said:

No they had more adult themes not kiddy themes