Whats Your Fav Film Noir!

Chicago Jones

Well my favorite is defiantly The Setup. Every time I see it I get chills at the last scene.

A close second is Murder, My Sweet...

Anyways what is yours?:gun:

Niteshade007

My favorite is probably Double Indemnity. But I love a lot of the other classics, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Laura, Sunset Blvd, The Lady From Shanghai, Gilda....so a lot. It's one of my favorite genres.

TheMutt92

Don't have specifics, but I do especially like The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, and The Dark Knight (if you consider the latter to be full film noir).

agentsands77

As far as true film noir is concerned, it has to be SUNSET BOULEVARD.

As far as neo-noir is concerned, it's definitely Polanski's CHINATOWN, with a nod to Godard's BREATHLESS and Scorcese's TAXI DRIVER.

Snakes

The Maltese Falcon and Out of the Past are my favorite "real" film noir pictures.
I've gotta mention Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid and Who Framed Roger Rabbit though.

Despite loving most film noir, I'm not a big fan of Chinatown. Perhaps I was expecting too much from it, but I felt kind of let down after seeing it. Maybe a second viewing would make me appreciate it more.

Morning Bell

I'm a big fan of film noir and The Maltese Falcon easily gets my vote. It's a great film and Bogart's performance is nothing short of brilliant.

Jorbex

The Maltese Falcon, for sure. If you love the movie, then take the time to read the novel; you won't regret it!

Niteshade007

Stoo said:
"Touch of Evil"

Touch of Evil was not my favorite. I don't know, it just kind of fell flat for me. Loved that opening shot though. So good.

Snakes said:
I've gotta mention Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid and Who Framed Roger Rabbit though.

Haha, yes. Two of my favorites as well.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
"Touch of Evil"

I'm with you all the way. Also, speaking of Orson, I'd argue for <I>The Third Man</I> as Euro Noir.

Hard not to love <I>Sunset Boulevard</I>, for that matter.

I'm with those who were left cold by <I>Chinatown</I>.

jonesissparrow

Chicago Jones said:
I wouldn't really consider The Dark Knight film noir.

Well I consider it film noir all the way up for me!!(y)

As for the others:

The Maltese Falcon
The Public Enemy
Angels With Dirty Faces
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Batman (1989)
Batman Begins
The Incredibles

Films I consider to be Film Noir:
The Great Mouse Detective
Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror
Casablanca

I need to watch more of it because I am just fascinated by that genre.

Chicago Jones

well then thats fine with me!

I think the closet thing that has touched the classic noir category is the Coen Brothers The Man Who Wasn't There.

Stoo

Niteshade007 said:
Touch of Evil was not my favorite. I don't know, it just kind of fell flat for me. Loved that opening shot though. So good.
Yeah, the opening shot is a classic.(y)

Attila the Professor said:
I'm with you all the way. Also, speaking of Orson, I'd argue for The Third Man as Euro Noir.
"The Third Man" is right up there!(y) Speaking of "Euro Noir", who here is a fan of Jean-Pierre Melville? My faves:

Bob, le Flambeur (1956)
Le Doulous (1962)
Le Samourai (1967)
Le Cercle Rouge (1970)