What has the world come to?

JP Jones

I'm starting to look back on the reception Indy 4 got when it came to DVD, and it's appauling. It seemed with the South Park episode and everything the world just put it into the bad catagorey. It was a classic for me. It reminded me of the classic summer blockbusters of yesteryear. It was just sad seeing people like ben mankowitz call it the worst of 2008.(worse than disaster movie!?):confused:

The Drifter

Eh, everybody is intitled to their opinion. I liked the movie. I was let down some, but overall I enjoyed the experience. After a few viewings on DVD I came to like it even more. As with every movie, there will be people who love it or hate it, and there are some that just bash it to feel special and to fit in.

Hell, I liked Nothing But Trouble and that is one of the lowest ranked movies on IMDB. At the end of the day, all that matters is if you liked it or not. So sit back, watch KotCS and be happy.

(A bit of warning; I feel this thread is gonna heat up soon.)

Cole

Well, it really shouldn't come as a surprise. We're coming off the heels of the Star Wars prequels where it's fashionable to hate George Lucas and CGI.......the internet has become a haven for these people.

Nothing can compare with people's nostalgic memories of the originals. These types of films have a tendency to be ripped apart at the seams.

At least generally speaking, the film was more well-recieved than not. 76% on Rotten Tomatoes, B ratings on Box Office Mojo and Yahoo. Plenty of well-respected critics gave it positive reviews.

For the fans who vehimently hate it.........I've yet to hear a compelling argument. It always goes back to CGI, monkeys, and aliens and that sort of stuff.

So, whatever. If people want to be cynics, then let them. Can't please everyone.

JP Jones

Cole said:
Well, it really shouldn't come as a surprise. We're coming off the heels of the Star Wars prequels where it's fashionable to hate George Lucas and CGI.......the internet has become a haven for these people.

Nothing can compare with people's nostalgic memories of the originals. These types of films have a tendency to be ripped apart at the seams.

At least generally speaking, the film was more well-recieved than not. 76% on Rotten Tomatoes, B ratings on Box Office Mojo and Yahoo. Plenty of well-respected critics gave it positive reviews.

For the fans who vehimently hate it.........I've yet to hear a compelling argument. It always goes back to CGI, monkeys, and aliens and that sort of stuff.

So, whatever. If people want to be cynics, then let them. Can't please everyone.
My problem with it was that it was well recived at first but when it came out on dvd it became the worst movie ever, huge dissapointment ,ect. it's just sad that a movie of that calibur is so underrated.

The Drifter

mr.kotcs said:
My problem with it was that it was well recived at first but when it came out on dvd it became the worst movie ever, huge dissapointment ,ect. it's just sad that a movie of that calibur is so underrated.

I've seen it the other way around. I know here at The Raven when it came out alot of people disliked it, but now alot more people say they like it better than before.

Darth Vile

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I've seen it the other way around. I know here at The Raven when it came out alot of people disliked it, but now alot more people say they like it better than before.

I'd agree with that... Although I'm not sure it was that more people disliked it than liked it, but rather that those who disliked it were more vocal.

Also, I'm not sure it's such a criticism to accept that perhaps KOTCS wasn't as good/original or of it's time as Raiders, TOD, or TLC. But even then, for my money, it's a far better action/adventure movie than The Dark Knight, Iron Man, National Treasure, The Mummy, Mission Impossible, Quantum of Solace etc. etc.

Cole

From my experience, the "hate" began on release. The fridge, monkeys, gophers, CGI.........that stuff began immediately.

What's interesting/weird is that this group of people who hate the movie.........well, they keep talking about.

But whatever. The likes of 'The Empire Strikes Back,' 'Return of the Jedi,' 'Temple of Doom,' and 'Last Crusade' didn't all open up to unanimously positive reviews either.

JP Jones

Cole said:
From my experience, the "hate" began on release. The fridge, monkeys, gophers, CGI.........that stuff began immediately.

What's interesting/weird is that this group of people who hate the movie.........well, they keep talking about.

But whatever. The likes of 'The Empire Strikes Back,' 'Return of the Jedi,' 'Temple of Doom,' and 'Last Crusade' didn't all open up to unanimously positive reviews either.
There may have been hate upon release but there was mostly people who liked it. But for some reason the mainstream media heard only the haters. they expressed this the next time they got a chance ,and this was when it came out on DVD. Now if Indy 5 comes out it will be after the dissopointment that Skul was. I don't now if that made any sense but that's what I think.

Forbidden Eye

mr.kotcs said:
It was just sad seeing people like ben mankowitz call it the worst of 2008.(worse than disaster movie!?):confused:

Well I certainly can't speak for Ben Mankowitz, but having seen lists that actually gave it "#1" on worst of the year lists, I think they all know(and even stated) that Kingdom is a far superior and more worth-wild film than Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans, Hottie and the Nottie etc. but they never expected any of those movies to be good in the first place. They looked horrible and the delivered (it would've been noteworthy if they weren't). But everyone was expecting Indiana Jones to be great. Everyone had high expectations, some a little too high, so therefore, they really were ranking the most disappointing movies. I think all those people who ranked Kingdom that way were expecting something as relevant and influential as Raiders of the Lost Ark, which obviously, was very unrealistic. Most of them probably didn't even give it another chance.

For my money, Kingdom is a far better movie than Quantum of Solace was. That was the biggest disappointment of 2008 for me. Still, I would at least admit it really doesn't belong on a "worst" list.

Dr.Jonesy

Here's the lowdown:

Upon Release-
-Critics praised it for the most part
-General Filmgoers were happy
-Fanboys were mixed

And that is the way it is today, except that more are warming up to it.

I will agree that after South Park, alot of people jumped on the hate bandwagon. Hell, I hardly knew there was a hate bandwagon until South Park!

But that damn South Park episode continues to **** me off...

But oh well.
:whip:

Morning Bell

Dr.Jonesy said:
Here's the lowdown:

Upon Release-
-Critics praised it for the most part
-General Filmgoers were happy
-Fanboys were mixed

And that is the way it is today, except that more are warming up to it.

I will agree that after South Park, alot of people jumped on the hate bandwagon. Hell, I hardly knew there was a hate bandwagon until South Park!

But that damn South Park episode continues to **** me off...

But oh well.
:whip:

This pretty much sums it up and I feel the same way. All I ever heard around the time of the DVD release was "South Park got it right". I figure people who base their opinion purely on what that shows says aren't worth listening to anyway. I loved KOTCS when it first came out and I still love it now; I think the general public enjoyed it and so did a lot of fans. Unfortunately it's always the haters and doubters that scream the loudest: the rest of us are too busy enjoying the film to really care.;)

WillKill4Food

Darth Vile said:
Also, I'm not sure it's such a criticism to accept that perhaps KOTCS wasn't as good/original or of it's time as Raiders, TOD, or TLC. But even then, for my money, it's a far better action/adventure movie than The Dark Knight, Iron Man, National Treasure, The Mummy, Mission Impossible, Quantum of Solace etc. etc.
No, The Dark Knight is certainly superior. I don't know about you, but I prefer strong acting and philosophical undertones to fridge-nuking camp.

What's "appalling" is your inability to articulate via basic English. There are words... they are constructed a certain way for a certain reason-- do respect it?

What's "appalling" is that you would dredge up this topic like every other n00bie-- some idiotic crusade to champion a goddamn movie. It really needs your rescuing! 700million and it needs you to rescue it. Get off your high horse, Lancelot you're not.

Boohoo, people didn't like the movie. Grow a pair and grow up.

Last edited:

JP Jones

ResidentAlien said:
What's "appalling" is your inability to articulate via basic English. There are words... they are constructed a certain way for a certain reason-- do respect it?

What's "appalling" is that you would dredge up this topic like every other n00bie-- some idiotic crusade to champion a goddamn movie. It really needs your rescuing! 700million and it needs you to rescue it. Get off your high horse, Lancelot you're not.

Well sorry residentalien it's just a topic that upsets me and I never got a chance to tell people. if i upset you i upset you. not my problem.

Dr.Jonesy

ResidentAlien said:

You're not too articulate yourself if you have to be rude to every other poster here.

Don't talk down to the new guy. You need to get off the high horse.

And please refrain from making yourself look bad by calling someone a "N00bie".

Give the guy a break.

Mickiana

I didn't hate KotCS, but I thought it could have been better ie it was different from my expectations.

Darth Vile

WillKill4Food said:
No, The Dark Knight is certainly superior. I don't know about you, but I prefer strong acting and philosophical undertones to fridge-nuking camp.

LOL. No, The Dark Knight is certainly an inferior action/adventure movie. It may be a better "drama", it may contain better "dramatic acting"? but it's overly long, it?s annoyingly pretentious, the movie manages to make the character of Batman less interesting that all the other characters (which is a huge flaw), Hanz Zimmer?s score sounds like a year 10 music project etc. etc.

Yes, Gary Oldman is good. Yes Heath Ledger makes a good joker? but by and large, it only really now appeals to those who believe dark, gloomy and broody equates to deep and meaningful (it doesn?t). Those "philosophical undertones" are nothing but preachy, in your face dialectics about choice and consequence. Pseudo intellectual and bourgeois film making... it does nothing to enlighten me (IMHO). ;)

James Byrne

I enjoyed the movie immensely. It did what it was supposed to do .... it entertained me for a couple of hours. What more can a movie do, realistically?