Trip to Cairo

Mrs_Fedora

wickedwing said:
That sounds fantastic! Did you get to petra? I really want to go there.

Yes i did, it was really, really amazing. I would like to show some pictures, but i don't really know how..:(

Joosse

I was lucky enough to go to Egypt recently as well. Saw all the sites: pyramids, Egyptian museum, Luxor, Karnak. But the thing that impressed me most was the temple complex at Abu Simbel.

abusimbeljk0.jpg

I can recommend it to anybody planning a trip to Egypt. It's really worth the while!

Raider S

I love Egypt. Jordan maybe better because of how wonderful the people are and how beautiful the desert is there. So I've been back to Jordan several times in the last few years. But both are places people must see if even toying with the idea. Cairo is crazy but if you get away from the touristy areas it can be beautiful and somewhat exotic.

Stoo

Just finished talking to a good friend of mine for the 1st time in about 6 months. Anyway, he's been having a whirlwind romance with an Egyptian girl he met and called to say they'll be getting married in CAIRO this coming June or October! Complete shocker but I'm invited so it looks like I'm finally going to make it to Egypt! I AM SO EXCITED!:D (This will be the 4th wedding in 2 years that I've had to travel to.:eek:)

Dayne

I was in Egypt for a couple weeks last summer. Absolutely incredible place! All these pictures are bringing back quite fond memories haha. wickedwing, I instantly recognized most of the pictures you posted, especially the ones in Giza.

I started off in Cairo, went to Alexandria, then across the Sinai mountains where I stayed at the monestary at the base of Mount Sinai, before visiting Sharm el Shaik and finally going back to Cairo. Quite the trip! 1400 photos! Can't wait to go back.

Stoo

Just got an e-mail from my friend about his Cairo wedding and it's June 6th! That's really soon so now I have some rescheduling to do. Was hoping for October because I'm going to cook to death:dead: but it's still going to be an amazing adventure. Closest I've been is Sicily a few times but this'll be my 1st time in Africa, a place I am fasicnated with...:cool:

(June 6th is 55th anniversary of D-Day.)

AnnieJones

Stoo said:
but it's still going to be an amazing adventure. Closest I've been is Sicily a few times but this'll be my 1st time in Africa, a place I am fasicnated with...:cool:

That's so cool that you are going to Egypt! When you come back from Egypt please let us(your fellow Raven members)know what it is like!

Stoo

8 Days in Cairo

Well...I'm back from Cairo and still buzzing from the whole trip. The pryamids and my friend's wedding were at the end of the week so the preceding days were a series of events leading up to the momentous occasions. What a blast! It was hotter than Hell, Obama was in town for his speech, I went inside Khefren's pyramid, visited the tourist sites, learned some Arabic, smoked shishas, made some new friends and had an eye-opening/life-changing experience deep in the downtown streets & alleyways. Egypt is awesome...

Riding a camel at Giza was essentially crossing off an item on life's "to do" list. A dream come true, manifested in reality...Will write more but here's some photos of the adventure:

Cairo_05_Giza_15b.jpg

Cairo_05_Giza_32b.jpg

AnnieJones

I am so jealous.lol
Looks like you had a lot of fun! What was your favorite part about being there and what was your favorite monument to see up close and personal?

Tough trip! I mean it had surely to be a fantastic experience, so thanks for sharing it with us.

PS: Archeologically speaking, this summer I'm planning to work at the archeological dig site in my city to give a hand. We're digging out the ancient Roman centertown and it's just great :whip:

Joosse

You know Stoo, you look a lot older in those pictures than you do in your avatar... ;)

I'm heading back to Egypt at the end of the week, and this time I will be packing my fedora. :hat:

Stoo

Ha ha! (I also had a Panama hat with me on the trip) :D Right on, Joosse. Have a GREAT time in Egypt and post some pics when you get back!

Today, I'm off to the south of Italy & Sicily for the week!(y)

Joosse

Sorry it took me a while, but here's a few...

egypte2009016cow.jpg

Here I am at Luxor temple.

And here's my encounter with a friendly local scorpion that decided my shirtpocket was a good place to hide...

egypte2009237cow.jpg

egypte2009238cow.jpg

egypte2009236cow.jpg

egypte2009235cow.jpg

Joosse

Well spotted! (y)

But it's actually my own journal, the one I am writing in in the top picture. I did however buy it because it reminded me of Indy's journal.

As I am a teacher, I took notes during the whole trip, so I can tell my students the interesting bits as well.

Wich is also why I have a bright yellow pen. It was a gift from Mustafa, one of my students last year.

Joosse

I actually do only teach part-time...

Can't believe I missed the opportunity to point that out... :eek:

Montana Smith

Joosse said:
I actually do only teach part-time...

Can't believe I missed the opportunity to point that out... :eek:

It might be better to keep quiet about the grave robbing, though!

Do you always travel in character? It's almost as brave as Stoo wearing the pith helmet in public (or at least in the desert). ;)

You look like you were signing autographs, rather than making notes for your students. :hat: