Love how fast the net works these days:

1610853_10101477811625794_1310405569471537796_n.jpg

10440955_10101477843791334_3393829304247783506_n.jpg

kongisking

featofstrength said:
Love how fast the net works these days:

1610853_10101477811625794_1310405569471537796_n.jpg

10440955_10101477843791334_3393829304247783506_n.jpg

From the way the blade looks really unstable and super-charged in that moment, and how the smaller blades pop out after a split-second from the main blade, I'm now thinking they are actually supposed to be vents for the beam, because otherwise this ancient saber would overheat and blow up. It definitely looks like an early lightsaber prototype.

Stoo

TheFedora said:
Why can't people like both Star Wars and Jurassic Park. (y)
Stop jumping to stupid conclusions because I like both. Good ol' Smiffy stole your thunder because (judging from your posting behaviour) you were probably itching to be the 1st one to post this preview at The Raven.:gun:
kongisking said:
From the way the blade looks really unstable and super-charged in that moment, and how the smaller blades pop out after a split-second from the main blade, I'm now thinking they are actually supposed to be vents for the beam, because otherwise this ancient saber would overheat and blow up. It definitely looks like an early lightsaber prototype.
Don't know if things have changed since the '80s but, back then, building a lightsabre was secret knowledge amongst the Jedi. (This might have changed somewhere in the '90s with all the crappy novels & comic books & other bull**** or the "EU" as nerds like to call it).

To me, it doesn't look ancient but rather an attempt by a "newbie" to replicate older/forgotten technology by someone who doesn't know the precise details...which could account for the rough edges. The lasers coming out from the hilt is probably meant to appeal to "Lord of the Rings/Hobbit" lovers?as in, "Ooh, look! It's medieval-style!"

Anyway...the Force, the Jedi & lightsabres have never been my main draw. The coolest thing about "Star Wars" is the hardware, ships, weapons & uniforms and I think this new movie will deliver that in spades.

TheFedora

Stoo said:
Stop jumping to stupid conclusions because I like both. Good ol' Smiffy stole your thunder because (judging from your posting behaviour) you were probably itching to be the 1st one to post this preview at The Raven.:gun:

I don't know where you're getting that Im making personal attacks at anyone. I do like to post tidbits of things, I find on the net...but I don't get mad if Im not the first one. I don't know where you got that from.:(

Also, Im thinking thats Benedict Cumberbatch on the voice.

kongisking

Lambonius said:
Pretty sure the voice is Andy Serkis. Listen to it again with Andy Serkis' face in your head and it fits.

The way the narrator says "Awakening"...definitely sounded like Serkis to me.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
You've stolen TheFedora's thunder.;)

:D

Stoo said:
Looks like the droid is riding the ball rather than being part of it.

New_Star_Wars_droi_3122067c.jpg

Looks like the ball is its body.

So it's more Terrahawks Zeroid

zero&18.jpg

than Dark Star alien

19002-4420.jpg

Stoo said:
HATE that lightsabre design.(n)

Agreed. Too much of a reference to the metal equivalent. Very Don-Wan Kihotay!

Stoo said:
LOVE the X-Wings over the lake!(y)

Agreed. That's a lovely image.

But it didn't really feel like Star Wars until the classic music started near the end. That was the real feel good moment.

HenryJunior

Hmmm, interesting touch, looks like somebody has been scavenging around to make some goggles :D.

lens2_zpsfe96b285.jpg

I got very lucky, we have one theater in all of Arizona that is screening the Teaser. I don't think I've ever had that many waves of chills in under a minute :cool:

But of course, I've already watched it a few dozen times online before I got to the theater.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
To me, it doesn't look ancient but rather an attempt by a "newbie" to replicate older/forgotten technology by someone who doesn't know the precise details...which could account for the rough edges. The lasers coming out from the hilt is probably meant to appeal to "Lord of the Rings/Hobbit" lovers?as in, "Ooh, look! It's medieval-style!"

kongiskong said:

I would submit the following: I can't recall an instance of one lightsaber sliding against another; what I do recall from the original series are lightsabers 'sticking' upon contact. The second series had them bouncing off of each other like so many popcorn kernels.

That said, a crossguard solves the obvious problem of having one's hand sliced off, but there are other reasons. For example, you can use it to trap and control an enemy's blade preventing them from disengaging. If you manage to wedge your opponent's blade between the blade and crossguard you can completely control their blade as well.

If we hold to the idea that lightsabers don't slide then the crossguard in this instance would allow one to pivot off their opponent's attack and counter-riposte immediately. For example, block and deflect the blade while closing and moving off-line while simultaneously bringing your own attack.

Two final points: 1.) The crossguard beams don't extend directly from the housing for the simple reason that it keeps the wielder from self-amputating their hand on the off chance it slides upward during combat. 2.) It could be a form of ricasso grip. Which is essentially an unsharpened section just above the guard meant to increase grip strength and torque by wrapping one's index finger over the guard.

Ricasso grips were primarily seen on heavy two-handed weapons during the Medieval period. Some historical combat scholars have suggested that these two-handed swords were used for breaking up pike formations, and the ricasso allowed them to shorten the grip to increase weapon maneuverability and control thrusting when in the middle of the scrum.

Anyway, just another thought to add to the mix.

AndyLGR

Some people are saying its Andy Sirkis on the voice over. It does sound like Benidict Cumberbatch in places too.

Finn

Staff member
Just thought of something. We'll of course have to wait 'til the final film to catch all the visuals, but it looks like they've decided to make it seem almost as if technological development ran backwards in the Star Wars Universe.

The prequel trilogy was all smooth, curved, and futuristic. The original three were very utilitarian... and now, this one almost seems as if it was taking place in a true ramshackle crapsack galaxy, "after the end", so to speak.

That lightsaber hilt is also playing to this. Rather than make us think of sleek and futuristic world of the future, it's springing forth images from the Dark Ages.

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

Finn said:
That lightsaber hilt is also playing to this. Rather than make us think of sleek and futuristic world of the future, it's springing forth images from the Dark Ages.

Bingo.

On a totally different note:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v93Jh6JNBng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kongisking

Finn said:
Just thought of something. We'll of course have to wait 'til the final film to catch all the visuals, but it looks as if they've decided to make it seem almost as if technological development ran backwards in the Star Wars Universe.

The prequel trilogy was all smooth, curved, and futuristic. The original three were very utilitarian... the third one almost seems as if it was taking place in a true ramshackle crapsack galaxy, "after the end", so to speak.

So eventually we'll reach Episode X...and the galaxy will have regressed to caveman days. Twist ending: its the beginning of our universe! Finally the opening line makes sense...

And Gonzo's video is genius. Though, I have to admit, having an entire swarm of TIE's ambushing the Falcon actually looks surprisingly effective. I would have been excited by that as well as the shot we got.

kongisking

featofstrength said:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yBEdgPFoBjY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reading between the lines, he actually is cautiously optimistic.

kongisking said:
Reading between the lines, he actually is cautiously optimistic.

As we all should be.

I had never heard of that fan film of the same name before...I hurt for those people:eek:
And more evidence of the ruined lightsaber.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:

His response was perfect. Indeed, they better get used to it.

I whipped this thing up, thought it was a fun idea:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9KCa1HtU_zc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>