Novel cover artwork

Stoo

yodazone said:
It's featured inside the recent "Indy" Volume 1 Omnibus too!
Just looked at my Omnibus and there it is on Page 5. Illustration by Dave Dorman.:eek:
Bought both volumes for the heck of it but didn't open 'em!:eek: :eek:

yodazone said:
Up? Yup!(y) What is the "trade collection"? All 4 in one edition?

yodazone

Indy&HanFan said:
boba holding marion. lol!
I'd like to see a "Belloq" & "Leia" cover next...

Or maybe "Willie Scott" in the slave outfit with "Jabba"...

:D

Stoo said:
Up? Yup!(y) What is the "trade collection"? All 4 in one edition?
Yea, it's the Trade Paperback that collected the 4 issues into one thick book.

That's actually the only "Indy" mini-series that got ever got collected from Dark Horse before the new Omnibuses came out this year.

(y)

Luke Skywalker

I'. upset that the omnibuses dont have all the issues covers in the end of the book. I thought that was customary for comic book compilations :(

dire51

This seems to be the appropriate thread to post this question in.

In the mid-'80s, I found the novelization of Raiders in a used bookstore. The Raiders cover had the original Amsel artwork from the first poster (the large pic of Indy with some bits from the movie at the very bottom) with gold foil surrounding it. A little later on, I found another copy, this time with a promo pic from the film on the cover (the deleted scene where Marion is grabbing Indy's jacket in the Raven, right before she kisses him) and no gold foil. I bought that one for a friend, who still has it.

Has anyone here seen either of these, and are there any other variations?

indyclone25

i remember seeing boths covers i believe the gold cover was the second printing in july of 1981 ----yeah i just checked my gold cover copy and it is a second printing ---they also did a red shiny cover that was the third printing and then the cover for with indy and marion

Crack that whip

dire51 said:
This seems to be the appropriate thread to post this question in.

In the mid-'80s, I found the novelization of Raiders in a used bookstore. The Raiders cover had the original Amsel artwork from the first poster (the large pic of Indy with some bits from the movie at the very bottom) with gold foil surrounding it. A little later on, I found another copy, this time with a promo pic from the film on the cover (the deleted scene where Marion is grabbing Indy's jacket in the Raven, right before she kisses him) and no gold foil. I bought that one for a friend, who still has it.

Has anyone here seen either of these, and are there any other variations?

Oh, you bet! There are actually not just one but two whole previous threads devoted to the subject of different covers for the various editions of the Raiders of the Lost Ark novelization. It appears that back in the day, there were at least three main cover designs - one with the photo of Indy and Marion in the Raven, one with a rare illustration, and one with the Richard Amsel art for the one-sheet with shiny foil stamping around it, and this last version (the poster artwork) has a whole slew of further variations in the color of the foil - there appear to have been at least five different colors used, and the first poster in one of those threads also mentions a purple cover, without clarifying whether it's another one of the different shiny foil covers or some other cover design entirely. There's also a new cover for a recent reprinting, also mentioned in one of those threads, and who knows what else...

dire51

indyclone25, Crack that whip - thanks for the info and putting to rest that question, which has been bugging me for almost twenty years! I'll have to check out those threads.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Drew Struzan has been posting book cover art on twitter here, here and here. Hopefully he keeps doing it...

FpShTDTaYAAkjIl

FpShTDTakAEiR_E

Fpaz-VpagAE7zD9

Fpaz-VmagAEMgZh

FpWmJqJaMAANS8c

FpWmMuRaEAA_7NM

emtiem

Yes it's great. Mr Struzan used to pose for these himself: it's interesting to note how different his leather jacket is to Indy's in them; especially visible in the Dance of the Giants one.

British Raider

I was thinking about his posing because of how bulkier Indy looks in the Sky Pirates one. Never noticed the difference in jacket but now you mention it…