Will the new Indy game also be available for PC?

Indyologist

Does anyone know if the new Indy game for PS3 will also eventually be made for PCs?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Finn

Staff member
According to the information we have currently: Nope.

But never say never, of course.

IAdventurer01

:( I'm afraid as of right now the answer's no. This is highly disappointing to me -the first Indy game since Greatest Adventures to not come out for the PC. (Which is one more reason to get a Wii, I suppose!)

I do hope that they decide to make a PC version as well. It just wouldn't be quite the same for me, otherwise.

Finn

Staff member
The game's next-gen. At the moment, porting a console-designed game so that it could be run by current average-powered rigs (what's a must if you really want to hit high sales) requires quite a lot of extra effort... plus, while dragging your software system reqs <i>down</i> while in general the hardware capability is going <i>up</i>, is somewhat reverse logic.

It was different when ET game out, because at that time most of PCs were actually more advanced than current-gen consoles. Should this new game come out, say 2009 instead of 2007, porting it would be much less a hassle.

It's Indy though, so in the end it most likely would reach respectable sales figures... but too plenty of that would be out of bargain bin.

Indyologist

So basically, the average "next-gen" game consoles are more powerful than your average PC? Hard to believe...

Finn

Staff member
Like I said, at the moment the X360 for example, has the graphical capability of a modern high-end PC. Now, I think you're intelligent enough to measure between "high-end" and "average" and tell that former means more powerful.

And, to continue the logic, it'll take at least couple of years for what is now "high-end" in PCs to turn "average". You still with me? Good. So, in order for a comp port to be profitable (I'm not saying "possible", because that's what it is all times) the console(s) you're designing it for has to be there with average PC rigs to pay off.

Basically, we'll have to wait for a possible PC port at least a year from its initial release, and it most likely has to be a review success and a smash hit by then to have any hope.

I'm terribly sorry, but I can't think of explaining it any simpler than this. So, I apologize if it <i>still</i> goes over your head.

...and yes, I want to believe as well.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Indyologist said:
So basically, the average "next-gen" game consoles are more powerful than your average PC? Hard to believe...

That's why they call it next-gen, sweetheart. ;)

IAdventurer01

VP said:
It's not coming out for Wii, only X360 and PS3.

Whoops! Apparently I didn't make myself clear. I meant getting Greatest Adventures off of the Wii download system is another reason for the Wii.

Indyologist said:

No - it is definately the case as long as you use the term "average" PC. However, most PC games heralded as the best of the year are only designed for the top 10% or so of PCs. The top-of-the line PCs can currently outpace the 360 with ease and may even give the PS3's cell processor a run for its money. So, power requirements really shouldn't be an issue for a PC version, although the average computer may not be able to run it.

Finn

Staff member
IAdventurer01 said:
So, power requirements really shouldn't be an issue for a PC version, although the average computer may not be able to run it.
No one ever stated it would - it's the payoff.

Katarn07

Hrm, all the more reason I'm getting an X360 before a Wii. I love the Wii, but so far, there are so many X360 titles I want that simply upgrading my PC or getting a Wii is a waste of money. I am gonna wait for another price drop. I almost got the premium version for $300, but since it was around Xmas, I decided that an unwise descision. I'll wait for my summer job to begin.

For all of you disappointed with the news, just go and get an X360. Sounds like dumb advise, but if you'd play Indy games, you'll play other games. I got my XBOX for Knights of the Old Republic and it was well worth it seeing I've gotten so many other games for it.

JK_Antwon

Katarn07 said:
Hrm, all the more reason I'm getting an X360 before a Wii. I love the Wii, but so far, there are so many X360 titles I want that simply upgrading my PC or getting a Wii is a waste of money. I am gonna wait for another price drop. I almost got the premium version for $300, but since it was around Xmas, I decided that an unwise descision. I'll wait for my summer job to begin.

For all of you disappointed with the news, just go and get an X360. Sounds like dumb advise, but if you'd play Indy games, you'll play other games. I got my XBOX for Knights of the Old Republic and it was well worth it seeing I've gotten so many other games for it.

Same here. I got the x-box for KOTOR but now have like 20 games for it. The main reason I want a 360 is Indy, but I am finding other cool games coming out for it, and hopefully another KOTOR!

DarthLowBudget

Question, can modern average PC's, graphics issues notwithstandind, handle all the euphoria and digitial molecular matter stuff they've designed the game on?

I mean, it might actually be impossible to make the game run on an average PC (all games no matter how high end must be able to have average settings as well as high end settings, graphically to sell to the average computer user) like it would on a next gen system? I mean, if they have to heavily reprogram the foundation the game is built on then the chances are that is definatley won't happen.

IAdventurer01

DarthLowBudget said:
I mean, if they have to heavily reprogram the foundation the game is built on then the chances are that is definatley won't happen.

Heavily? No, not really. The 360 was designed to be highly compatible with PCs (even more so with Vista.) It would take a little doing, but probably nothing too extensive to shift it over to the PC. Unfortunately, ease does mean that Lucasarts will.

Finn

Staff member
DarthLowBudget said:
Question, can modern average PC's, graphics issues notwithstandind, handle all the euphoria and digitial molecular matter stuff they've designed the game on?
Just popped to mind, but perhaps the thing with the new game not coming on PCs is that Euphoria might need a PhysX card to run on any PC rig? So no matter how state-of-the-art graph card or processor people might have, those things are far more rare, at least at the moment.