Ghostbusters: Afterlife

DocWhiskey

I'll believe all this when some set pictures surface. Not because I'm hard to impress, but because getting another Ghostbusters movie would be happenstance to me. I'm happy enough to have taken part in the Indy 4 hype, but GB too?! Awesome. This is the closest GB3 has ever been to actually getting made.

Indy's brother

Found this in wikipedia of all places....

On October 14, 2010 Stefano Paganini, Sony's Product Marketing Manager in charge of Catalogue, Animation, and TV series, appeared at a Ghostbusters event in Rome and said "I spoke about this night with my boss from Los Angeles. She allowed me to let you know that the script of 'Ghostbusters 3' has been approved so the engine has been turned on!"

oh, and for fun I thought I'd post this fake poster:
ghostbusters-3-poster.jpg

Last edited:

Indy's brother

Anna Faris is cast?

anna-faris-2006-mtv-movie-awards-arrivals-04sJdr.jpg

Feature Films Auditions included this synopsis:

A ragtag group of paranormal researchers reopen their notorious ghost removal service, and a new generation of ghostbusters is brought on board to be green slimed and trained to contain the mischievous spirits.

Casting will continue until "early spring, 2011), which is right around the time filming is supposed to begin. It looks like the site is also confirming that Anna Faris has a role, which is a rumor that has been circulating lately. I for one hope this is true, as I think that including her is an inspired choice that seems more like a no-brainer the more I mull it over.

That's the brunt of it, but I've included two other older links with quotes to show how this has been shaping up, and which also include other possible actors that you may have heard of.

This from November 23rd:

FFA has the casting announcement, saying they?re looking for actors? but don?t specify which roles. They do, however, have a synopsis that insinuates the film will feature a band of new, young recruits, so one might assume that?s who they?re looking to cast.
I dropped a friend at line in Oak Lawn, who works in casting. While he hasn?t got specifics - dates and so on - he said has given the heads up that Sony will be auditioning ?young male and female actors aged 18-30″ for a role in the film.
Upon reading those reports that Anna Faris is onboard I dropped a contact at Sony a line.
Asked whether he knew anything about Ms Scary Movie being onboard, he replied ?Dunno. First I?ve heard of it. Heard Will Forte?s name mentioned and Bill Hader, but not Faris. I?m not in on all that though, so she could be; [Sony] does like her?.

This is from November 28th:

Recently Dan Aykroyd confirmed with WGN Radio that not only is Ghostbusters 3 happening, but casting is already underway. Strong contenders include Anna Faris, Bill Hader, and Eliza Dushku. Bill Murray and Sigourney Weaver are set to return for the third film.

Indy's brother

From Entertainment Weekly:

Q: Are we going to see Ghostbusters 3 anytime soon?
A: I just saw Bill Murray at the Scream Awards, and he said we?re gonna do it, but I?m not sure. I think no one?s really read a script. But I?ve talked to Ivan Reitman. He definitely wants to do it. There was a script that was being rewritten as of about a year ago. The one thing I said is that I?ll do it if Oscar, my little son, can be a Ghostbuster, and I think he liked that idea.

This article is dated Dec. 22nd, but it seems like a step back from the last bit I posted here. How could the casting for this have already begun if none of the big players have even seen a script yet? Either this is an older quote than this article lets on, or I'm showing my ignorance of the way movies are made. Anyway, still sounds like it's going to get made.

Indy's brother

WARNING: Tiny Spoiler

This article includes a recycled quote about passing the torch because of bad knees, but there is a bit more about the plot of GB3. I don't really know if this is considered spoiler territory or not, so read at your own risk.

“It picks up in present day,” says the “Yogi Bear” star. “No ghosts are left because we took care of them and stored them all. We took all the ghosts out of the hotels and the streets. But then an event happens and something comes through from the next dimension.”

Young turk actors will be along for the ride. “We’re passing it on to a younger generation,” Aykroyd says. “The original Ghostbusters are older now. Our eyesight is fading. Our knees are going. We can’t shoulder those big packs on our back anymore.”

Progress is being made. “We have a script now,” says Aykroyd, one of the writers. “We’ve got the pieces on the floor, and now we have to bolt them together and put on wheels.”

Indy's brother

Well, to any of you that have been doubting it, the heavy-lifting is done. The script for GB3 is in it's finished form:

Ivan Reitman, the man who directed and produced 1984′s box-office smash Ghostbusters and its 1989 sequel, says a ?very good script? for a third film in the knee-slapping ghost-hunting franchise has been sent to Bill Murray. According to the Associated Press, Reitman added, ?nothing you?ve read on the internet is accurate? and that Murray has not yet read a script for Ghostbusters 3. Reitman also says he believes that the new screenplay is strong enough to be filmed ? ?it?s good enough to do, to take the risk of doing again.? Reitman did not say who had written the long-awaited screenplay or whether the other two stars of the franchise, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, had also been sent the script. Stay tuned.

Indy's brother

As of January 7th:

?I think we need all of the principal actors to read it,? Reitman said in an interview in Los Angeles on January 7. ?One in particular has not read it at all yet ? not a single draft, not nothing. But you know, it?s just getting his attention,? he said, referring to Bill Murray.

Also, 3D is being considered:

"Certainly it has come up because it seems like an obvious thing to do," Reitman told USA TODAY's Andrea Mandell today, just hours before premiering his comedy No Strings Attached in Los Angeles with Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher. "And certainly the studio is interested in that because there seems to be a real financial bump for the right movies being done in 3-D. It seems like a cool idea. What I have to really study is whether comedy works this way."

He concedes, "Although the animated films that have been made (in 3-D) are funny, but it's different than guys talking the way Ghostbusters have and require."

Luckily, Reitman has time to figure it out. "I'm waiting for Bill (Murray) to read the script," he says. "It's a really good script. I'm sure he'll read it soon and then we'll know. Sigourney has not read it, although I've talked to her about it and she seems very interested in being in it."

Indy's brother

Bill Murray the only hold-out

Well, until someone in charge tells me to stop, I'll continue to update this at my leisure.

While Sony Pictures, Harold Ramis, Dan Aykroyd and Ivan Reitman have already signed-off on the much revised Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky screenplay, there still remains one final hurdle to overcome? the Bill Murray factor.

Lee Eisenberg, who wrote the screenplay along with Stupinsky, Ramis, and Aykroyd had this to say about Bill Murray's reading habits:

"Sony says they?d like to make it, everyone thinks it?s a good script. Bill has heard it?s a good script, but he hasn?t read it. Bill?s like that ? he just says he?s busy.

Harold tells a very funny story about the several months it took to get Bill to read the script for Groundhog Day. Every week or so, [Bill] would go up to Harold and say, ?You know, I read 10 pages? they?re really good. Is it going to stay this good??

He hasn?t even read 10 pages [of Ghostbusters 3] yet, to the best of our knowledge.

[Regarding the original Ghostbusters] Bill just committed to it? he just said yes. He went to India to make The Razor?s Edge. I don?t think he even read the script [for Ghostbusters] until he arrived back, [and] the day he came back, we shot with him.?

There's a lot more in the original article, including a video Q&A with GB1, 2, & 3 producer Joe Medjuck, along with other members of the Ghostbusters special effects team (including William Atherton).

Indy's brother

Bill Murray was a guest on Howard Stern's satellite radio show yesterday responded to some questions about his reluctance to get happening with GB3.

STERN: Is it true that there is a ?Ghostbusters 3? and you?re the problem? You will not sign off on this? Do you know about this?

MURRAY: Yeah, I guess I?m the problem. Before I was an asset and now I?m the problem. There?s a script somewhere over there. Over there there?s a script and I haven?t read it yet.

STERN: Why haven?t you read it? Because you think it?s a bull**** idea? In other words, Ghostbusters had its time and you did a remarkable job with that, and you?ve moved on?

MURRAY: There?s a little bit of that. You know, I only made one sequel, ?Ghostbusters II,? and it didn?t end up the way it was presented. About five years after we did the first one, the clever agents got us all together in a room, and we really are funny together. I mean they are funny people - Harold and Danny and myself, and it was Ivan and maybe one or two other people. And we were just blindingly funny for about an hour or so. And the agents, there was just foam coming off of them. And so they had this pitch and Danny and Harold had already concocted some sort of story idea, and it was a story, it was a good story. I think I had even already read one or two that Danny rolled out before that, but this one was a good one. I said, "OK, we can do that one." It was just kind of fun to have all of us together. I mean Moranis, Rick Moranis and Annie Potts. These people, they?re just sterling people to begin with.

STERN: So how do you go back and really make another? Does Ivan want to make that film?

MURRAY: Yeah, Ivan wants to make it and I owe him and he?s puzzled that I haven?t gotten to this one.

STERN: How long has it been sitting on your desk, this script for Ghostbusters?

MURRAY: Well, it may not be on the desk; it?s over there somewhere. How long? I don?t know.

STERN: So you?re never going to read it.

STERN SIDEKICK ROBIN QUIVERS: So you have no interest.

MURRAY: Well, I?ll get to it. I gotta get to it. I feel badly. I got a message. I don?t want to hurt anyone?s feelings but it?s not the foremost thing in my mind right now, so I don?t think about it. You know what, the studio gets excited about it every 10 years or so or it seems like, and they read it. Because what they?d really like to do is recreate the franchise, you know? I remember once upon a time it was going to be, ?And the new Ghostbusters will be Chris Rock, Chris Farley and Chris Crane or Kris Kringle.? Or someone. They had it together.

STERN: Is that a threat to you? In other words, do they try to threaten you by saying, ?We?re going to put together a new Ghostbusters, and therefore you guys will have to go do it??

MURRAY: It?s not a threat. It?s sort of businesslike. They?d like to keep it going. I mean, it?s still an amazing ? there?s still kids today that watch this movie. They still sell a lot of toys and everything.

So there it sits.

kongisking

Goonie said:
Watch Zombieland. His scene in there is hilarious.

(to Bill Murray)
"Do you have any regrets?"

(his answer)
"Garfield, maybe?"

:cool:

Back on topic, I really want to see the 'Busters return. Murray, we're counting on you! Come on, man, just do it!

The Drifter

Am I the only one who would rather see a well written (by Ramis) sequel to Groundhog Day (my favorite Bill Murray movie) than Ghostbusters III?

Anyone?

No?

Well, damn...

My apologizes for the double hyphens!

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Am I the only one who would rather see a well written (by Ramis) sequel to Groundhog Day (my favorite Bill Murray movie) than Ghostbusters III?

Anyone?

No?

Well, damn...

My apologizes for the double hyphens!

Did you say that before, or did I imagine it?

Odd sense of deja vu!

I can understand Bill Murray's reluctance. Once bitten twice shy. He obviously doesn't want to be bundled into something he's not comfortable with. The first movie was fun, but the second not so impressive. Best maybe to remember the characters in their prime, and not flog a dead horse.

bdh1.gif

An unwilling actor can make for a tired movie.

This is actually one set-up that could do well as a reboot with new actors. A brand new team of investigators made up of today's hottest young actors, aided by amazing CG effects. Starting afresh they can go in any direction.

Yure

Groundhog Day is a jewel that doesn't really set up for a sequel.. anything in that direction would deminish the original one imho :)

Indy's brother

No Ernie Hudson?

Still no public word from Murray, and this has surfaced....Ernie Hudson has yet to be approached at all. On the positive side (for me), I always thought Ernie was the weakest link in the GB films. On the negative side, He's the only one of them that hasn't really aged much. At all, really. Anyway, here's the bit on it:

Ernie Hudson, one of the main castmembers of the "Ghostbusters" franchise, is telling the media that he has not been approaced about making a new "Ghostbusters" film. This has lead many to believe that "Ghostbusters 3" is not going to happen after all. Although a number of fans believe the third in the series will indeed happen.

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
I can understand Bill Murray's reluctance. Once bitten twice shy. He obviously doesn't want to be bundled into something he's not comfortable with. The first movie was fun, but the second not so impressive. Best maybe to remember the characters in their prime, and not flog a dead horse.

bdh1.gif

An unwilling actor can make for a tired movie.

I would agree with all of this if it weren't for one thing:

zz5d47f363-550x804.jpg

Why would he do this when everyone already knew that GB3 was in talks? Pandering? Doesn't seem like Bill. Promotion? Perhaps. The guy has a very cynical sense of humor? Maybe, but at the expense of pissing off his long term associates in his arguably most successful outing? I guess I could see it, and I understand that my eagerness to see him ghostbusting again could cloud my thinking on it, and make me reluctant to consider it as an option. One can't help but wonder, in any case.

Indy's brother

Dan Aykroyd Says GHOSTBUSTERS 3 Will Shoot Spring 2012 with or without Bill Murray

Yes, we will be doing the movie and hopefully with Mr. Murray,? he says, ?That is our hope. We have an excellent script. What we have to remember is that ?Ghostbusters? is bigger than any one component, although Billy was absolutely the lead and contributive to it in a massive way, as was the director and Harold [Ramis], myself and Sigourney [Weaver]. The concept is much larger than any individual role and the promise of ?Ghostbusters 3′ is that we get to hand the equipment and the franchise down to new blood.

And some light spoilery stuff about Ray and Egon's characters below:

My character, Ray, is now blind in one eye and can?t drive the cadillac,? he says, ?He?s got a bad knee and can?t carry the packs? Egon is too large to get into the harness. We need young blood and that?s the promise. We?re gonna hand it to a new generation.

Indy's brother said:
Dan Aykroyd Says GHOSTBUSTERS 3 Will Shoot Spring 2012 with or without Bill Murray

I frequent the boards on GBfans.com...yaknow how many eyerolls "news'' like this from c-grade internet entertainment sites get?

Unless SONY says something, curb your enthusiasm.

Dr. Gonzo

featofstrength said:
I frequent the boards on GBfans.com...yaknow how many eyerolls "news'' like this from c-grade internet entertainment sites get?

Unless SONY says something, curb your enthusiasm.
curbyourenthusiasm.JPG

Indy's brother

The latest rumor involves comedian John Hodgeman, who is also the source of the rumor. He said recently on The Best Show:

If you were hypothetically offered a role in 'Ghostbusters 3' would you take the role? Let's say you're [playing] sort of the dissolute son of Egon, the Harold Ramis character, and you're kind of like John Candy in 'Splash,' you're kind of a mess. But it turns out you're a natural ghost-whisperer, a natural psychic. But here's the thing: Bill Murray's not going to be in this movie, and probably not happy that you are. But you get to be in a major role, in a major movie and one of the greatest franchises of all time. Would you do it?

Hodgeman's own response to the intrigue via twitter:

ANSWER THREE: I AM NOT APPEARING IN GHOSTBUSTERS 3. Nor is @scharpling. That was a radio #fakecastingnews joke.

Which is a shame, really. I personally love the angle. And it's one that works with or without Murray's participation.