Scriptwriter for Indy 5?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
seasider said:
Doesn't that describe Indiana Jones movies in general? The dialogue in those movies have never been Star Wars bad but it's not Shakespeare either.

Yeah, but it has been Tom Stoppard - the final version of the Last Crusade script was his, uncredited.

And I won't make any special claims for Temple, but Raiders has got a pretty nice script - all of Belloq's material, in particular, really brings it, and the exposition scene with the army intelligence men is just phenomenally well-written, with the interplay between two guys on either side who are used to working together and the sheer enthusiasm we get. Even for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, despite it being cut from the film, there was the superb line from Stanforth:

?When you?re young you spend all your time thinking, ?who will I be?? And then for years you?re shouting at the world ?This is who I am!? But lately I?ve been wondering - after I?m gone - who will they say I was??

The writing has, in large part, I think, been part of what has raised these films above others like them. Let's not let that distinction go.

seasider

Good writing is definitely important with these movies. That's kind of the whole point of this discussion thread. We all want the next movie to be in good hands when the script has to be written. While I do agree that these movies have enjoyed their share of good lines, I don't see the Indy movies as dialogue driven stories. It's about the characters, the story and of course that darned Macguffin. I want good writing but I don't want it to come of as too speechified. It has to fit the characters, the environment and the time period.

The Man

Attila the Professor said:
Yeah, but it has been Tom Stoppard - the final version of the Last Crusade script was his, uncredited.

Is it true that Stoppard did a polish on the Revenge Of The Sith script? If so, it shows he's still available for such work if Lucas decides to call upon him...

TheMutt92

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm pretty sure we heard Stoppard mention as a possible final rewriter for KotCS. If he would do it, there's certainly nobody I'd rather see chosen.

Last edited:

The Man

Attila the Professor said:
I'm pretty sure we heard Stoppard mention as a possible final rewriter for this film as well. If he would do it, there's certainly nobody I'd rather see doing it.

Indeed. Regardless of the plot, I just adore Crusade's dialogue...

Crusade>Raiders

The Man said:
Indeed. Regardless of the plot, I just adore Crusade's dialogue...

Now thats what I'm talking about. Man even made the exposition scenes fun to watch, there isn't a single boring moment in that film.

TheMutt92

Depends on whether we want new or old blood to write Indy V. If we're going w/ the old then...

Lawrence Kasdan - he wrote the original, why should he not be allowed to take a crack (unless bad blood has ruined his chance)?

And as for the new...

Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio - these guys have written four POTC films and managed to keep coming up w/ new and exciting elements, they've written The Mask of Zorro and Aladdin as well. While these are more in the swashbuckling vein, perhaps it will come to use, especially if Mutt is prominently featured (Spielberg was also a producer on Zorro and at one point considered directing POTC, so...)

Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman - again, these guys have written alot together: Mission: Impossible 3, Transformers 1 and 2, Star Trek (which is similar to Star Wars and features a Harrison Ford like approach to Captain Kirk), as well as the upcoming Cowboys vs. Aliens (which is starring Harrison Ford and is produced by Spielberg, who also produced their Transformers work).

kongisking

TheMutt92 said:
Depends on whether we want new or old blood to write Indy V. If we're going w/ the old then...

Lawrence Kasdan - he wrote the original, why should he not be allowed to take a crack (unless bad blood has ruined his chance)?

And as for the new...

Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio - these guys have written four POTC films and managed to keep coming up w/ new and exciting elements, they've written The Mask of Zorro and Aladdin as well. While these are more in the swashbuckling vein, perhaps it will come to use, especially if Mutt is prominently featured (Spielberg was also a producer on Zorro and at one point considered directing POTC, so...)

Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman - again, these guys have written alot together: Mission: Impossible 3, Transformers 1 and 2, Star Trek (which is similar to Star Wars and features a Harrison Ford like approach to Captain Kirk), as well as the upcoming Cowboys vs. Aliens (which is starring Harrison Ford and is produced by Spielberg, who also produced their Transformers work).

Both teams are terrific writers (I'll try to forget Transformers 2 is on Orci and Kurtzman's resume), but I'm leaning on Elliot and Rossio, mostly because they suceed so well at making high-quality adventure movies (Mask of Zorro's thrills mixed with a heartaching tale of revenge and loss, and POTC's pure unabashed wackiness tempered with great characterization and dialogue). And Aladdin was FULL of Indyesque imagery. A mystical object used to find a lost cave filled with treasure? A magical MacGuffin? A booby-trapped crystal? Were they watching Raiders while writing it, for crying out loud? :cool:

Dr. Gonzo

Forbidden Eye said:
one screenwriter I adore(though am unsure he would actually be fit for this project) is Charlie Kaufman! (y)

That would be an "interesting" Indiana Jones film.
I'd go see it...
Although I'm sure most of the fans here would be pissed at his take on it.

"Indiana Indiana, Indiana. Indiana? Indiana. Indiana Indiana!"

foreignerfred

TheMutt92 said:

Indy 5 will most likely be the last one.

This year is the 30th anniversary of Raiders, and if the script is being written by anyone, it HAS to be:

Lawrence Kasdan.

The original.

The only choice for finishing off the series.

Kasdan has written two movies coming out next year, and it looks like his schedule is wide open right now to...

...well... be writing. ;)

Raiders90

kongisking said:
Both teams are terrific writers (I'll try to forget Transformers 2 is on Orci and Kurtzman's resume), but I'm leaning on Elliot and Rossio, mostly because they suceed so well at making high-quality adventure movies (Mask of Zorro's thrills mixed with a heartaching tale of revenge and loss, and POTC's pure unabashed wackiness tempered with great characterization and dialogue). And Aladdin was FULL of Indyesque imagery. A mystical object used to find a lost cave filled with treasure? A magical MacGuffin? A booby-trapped crystal? Were they watching Raiders while writing it, for crying out loud? :cool:

I didn't realize that same team had written all of those excellent movies. That's awesome!

indy4242

foreignerfred said:
Indy 5 will most likely be the last one.

This year is the 30th anniversary of Raiders, and if the script is being written by anyone, it HAS to be:

Lawrence Kasdan.

The original.

The only choice for finishing off the series.

Kasdan has written two movies coming out next year, and it looks like his schedule is wide open right now to...

...well... be writing. ;)

Yes. This needs to happen.

Fan campaign anyone? :hat:

Violet said:
Hal Barwood. Why not? FoA had a great storyline and even IM had a pretty good story line too. He worked with on Close Encounters as a writer as well. Especially after I read the interview on TR.N.

For how weird it could sound, when I first opened this thread I was thinking the exact same thing.