indiana jones animated fanfilm why not??

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Le Saboteur: Indy's bro's last breakdown is at the top of Page 22. Some other ideas were discussed since then, so you may want to dig through the pages that follow. Glad to have you aboard, my friend.:hat:

P.S. I wonder what happened to Indy's brother? Hope he's doing O.K.

Stoo: Got it. From a holistic standpoint, it's good; there's a lot I don't particularly like, but we'll get into that. For now, it'll suffice to say that I'm still vehemently against tying development to an established bit of music. (And I know I've seen muttjones here in the wee small hours of the morning if he wants to chime in.) I'll hack out a rough opening and see what everybody thinks.

Found this example of how cool a fan-oriented production could end up being.

IndyFan89: You may want to recut a fifth trailer. You've spelled interrogation wrong.

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

On a related note...

...Ravenite holdeen created a rather awesome map for an unrelated project.

amiliemap.jpg

It's not quite what we're looking for, but I wonder what he could do if we were to ask really politely!

holdeen

i wish i could work on this project but unfortunately i really have no time for unpaid jobs nowadays, unfortunately. however, maybe i can help you out with a little map or a background or two :) it's just depends on how busy i am with my work.. we'll see.

Le Saboteur

JuniorJones said:
in progress, draft verison. He winks at the end but the youtube transfer has miss it off. I will amend on the next verison.

Comments anyone?

Well, I think it looks great. There's an issue with the hand exiting the frame, but for an initial outlay, that looks awesome, JJ! Looking forward to seeing more!

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Le Saboteur said:
Well, I think it looks great. There's an issue with the hand exiting the frame, but for an initial outlay, that looks awesome, JJ! Looking forward to seeing more!

Yeah! I know about the hand. It didn't do that on the preview but thanks for the comments.

Stoo

IndyFan89 said:
I'm dying to help on this film: www.wsnproductions.com

Even if it's just a trailer for the film. Here is a trailer I made for my film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW715qD-41o

editing, sound effects, effects.

I have all kinds of Indy sound effects from punches to the wilhelm scream.
Good to hear! I remember you were keen at the beginning of the thread but then kind of disappeared. The project needs this so glad to have you, 89!:D ALL ABOARD!...the Indy Animation Train!

@Holdeen: At the start of this thread, I saw your stuff and it's absolutely beautiful (read: FREAKING fantastic) but I understand your position. Thanks for chiming in all the same.:hat:

@JuniorJones: L-O-V-E it! Yes, the withdrawal of the hand is a bit awkward but this is only a test to co-ordinate the work flow so it's not a problem at the moment. One concern is that if you want to go with the "fortune & glory" dialogue, we'll need someone to voice it. There's music in the background that's irremovable. (Also, the circle isn't necassary because that will have to be a mask.)

@HJJNR. I was picturing something tighter/thicker but let's go with this and see how it looks. (It might be flipped because I meant to say vines on the RIGHT side and not the left.:eek:) Even so, this WILL be used somewhere!
Le Saboteur said:
Got it. From a holistic standpoint, it's good; there's a lot I don't particularly like, but we'll get into that. For now, it'll suffice to say that I'm still vehemently against tying development to an established bit of music. (And I know I've seen muttjones here in the wee small hours of the morning if he wants to chime in.) I'll hack out a rough opening and see what everybody thinks.
Yeah, the order of scenes needs to be reviewed/revised but about sticking to the music...I am strongly FOR letting a pre-determined piece of music dictate the scene motivation for this thing:

1) We're trying to recreate an "old school" Saturday morning-feel. The majority of those shows had the song recorded 1st and the opening was cut to match the beats of the tune (and any dialogue).

2) Any of us could produce a set of cues to match the animation but would it be as thrilling to hear as the familiar "Raiders March"? Again, JJ and I are putting our minds back to c.1982 TV and what an Indy cartoon might have been like. (I don't know how poplular this approach may be...):confused:

HJJNR

Stoo said:
@HJJNR. I was picturing something tighter/thicker but let's go with this and see how it looks. (It might be flipped because I meant to say vines on the RIGHT side and not the left.:eek:) Even so, this WILL be used somewhere!

OK it could work, if it doesn't I'll make a fresh one, I work pretty fast so it's not a problem. I almost placed the Paramount mountain in a clearing off in the distance but wasn't sure what you'd think of it so didn't bother, let me know what you think. ;)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Good to hear! I remember you were keen at the beginning of the thread but then kind of disappeared. The project needs this so glad to have you, 89!:D ALL ABOARD!...the Indy Animation Train!

Choo!Choooo!

Holdeen: At the start of this thread, I saw your stuff and it's absolutely beautiful (read: FREAKING fantastic) but I understand your position. Thanks for chiming in all the same.:hat:

Agreed, Welcome back. Look forward to seeing new stuff.

]JuniorJones: L-O-V-E it! Yes, the withdrawal of the hand is a bit awkward but this is only a test to co-ordinate the work flow so it's not a problem at the moment. One concern is that if you want to go with the "fortune & glory" dialogue, we'll need someone to voice it. There's music in the background that's irremovable. (Also, the circle isn't necassary because that will have to be a mask.)

The hand isn't an issue, I can easily sort. The "fortune and Glory" was a test, I can get Indy to say whatever we want. I suggest we ask INDYFAN4EVER to do us some dialogue, something original like "...Kids, it's all in the adventure." Once I've sorted the issues in what format do you want it in? Do you want me to colour it? If so, I could do with RYB's.

]HJJNR. I was picturing something tighter/thicker but let's go with this and see how it looks. (It might be flipped because I meant to say vines on the RIGHT side and not the left.:eek:) Even so, this WILL be used somewhere!

Nice work.

1) We're trying to recreate an "old school" Saturday morning-feel. The majority of those shows had the song recorded 1st and the opening was cut to match the beats of the tune (and any dialogue).

2) Any of us could produce a set of cues to match the animation but would it be as thrilling to hear as the familiar "Raiders March"? Again, JJ and I are putting our minds back to c.1982 TV and what an Indy cartoon might have been like. (I don't know how poplular this approach may be...):confused:

If it was 1982, the march would have lyrics and be arranged by Bill
Conti!!:D

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Yeah, the order of scenes needs to be reviewed/revised but about sticking to the music...I am strongly FOR letting a pre-determined piece of music dictate the scene motivation for this thing:

2) Any of us could produce a set of cues to match the animation but would it be as thrilling to hear as the familiar "Raiders March"? Again, JJ and I are putting our minds back to c.1982 TV and what an Indy cartoon might have been like. (I don't know how popular this approach may be...):confused:

1.) I understand what we're trying to recreate, but I still don't think we're far enough along to think about putting anything to music. What we have is a collection of action scenes that have absolutely zero context on a larger scale. While we don't need an established meta-plot, an idea of the motivations behind it all is necessary. Once all that's established, we can pull specific sequences out to animate, and then cobble together into a trailer.

2.) The entire march is five minutes, so we edited it down; rather than rely on it, how about use it as punctuation, like in the films? The only part anybody really remembers is the trumpet crescendo, and that's easily isolated to the opening, a really thrilling part of the trailer, and the end. Creating some "filler-type" music to flesh out the piece might also give us some greater leeway with the suits at Lucasfilm who are sure to jump all over the thing.

3.) I like HJJNR's background art; lots going on there. However, as it stands, it's going to look like Indy is playing about in front of a background, rather than be part of it. It's the painterly aspect of it all -- it should be more cartoony, and probably in black & white.

Le Saboteur

Just to throw...

...it out there: what about doing the prologue of an actual episode and then segueing into the 'opening'? Really whet somebody's appetite.

holdeen

jones.jpg

alright, i still dont have time, but couldnt resist :)

the background is cut together from some old paintings ive done for an animation.

PS.: i agree that the backgrounds should be a bit more cartoon like. also animation backgrounds consist of several, well-structured layers (especially jungle scenes). trees, foliage etc. even the lightbeams have to be on a separate layer.

Stoo

HJJNR said:
OK it could work, if it doesn't I'll make a fresh one, I work pretty fast so it's not a problem. I almost placed the Paramount mountain in a clearing off in the distance but wasn't sure what you'd think of it so didn't bother, let me know what you think. ;)
We're opening with the mountain so there's no need to include it twice. I might add a few cartoony foreground elemenst like leaves, etc. because it needs to be tighter, thicker and not as spacious. (The circle is not that big.) If you feel like making another, go ahead but all we really need right now is something to place in that layer as a test. Before you do anything unnecessary, I'll do a quick composite and see how it fits.:)
JuniorJones said:
The hand isn't an issue, I can easily sort. The "fortune and Glory" was a test, I can get Indy to say whatever we want. I suggest we ask INDYFAN4EVER to do us some dialogue, something original like "...Kids, it's all in the adventure." Once I've sorted the issues in what format do you want it in? Do you want me to colour it? If so, I could do with RYB's.
Oooh, that's an awful corny line, don't you think? Maybe Saboteur has a another suggestion? A b/w line animation would do for now but if you feel like adding colour then I'll provide the values. Format? I haven't decided yet...:eek:
Le Saboteur said:
1.) I understand what we're trying to recreate, but I still don't think we're far enough along to think about putting anything to music. What we have is a collection of action scenes that have absolutely zero context on a larger scale. While we don't need an established meta-plot, an idea of the motivations behind it all is necessary. Once all that's established, we can pull specific sequences out to animate, and then cobble together into a trailer.

2.) The entire march is five minutes, so we edited it down; rather than rely on it, how about use it as punctuation, like in the films? The only part anybody really remembers is the trumpet crescendo, and that's easily isolated to the opening, a really thrilling part of the trailer, and the end. Creating some "filler-type" music to flesh out the piece might also give us some greater leeway with the suits at Lucasfilm who are sure to jump all over the thing.

3.) I like HJJNR's background art; lots going on there. However, as it stands, it's going to look like Indy is playing about in front of a background, rather than be part of it. It's the painterly aspect of it all -- it should be more cartoony, and probably in black & white.
1) The reason why the scenes have no context is because we were going for the "Jonny Quest" type of opening where it's just a random series of clips from upcoming episodes. A "best of", one might say, and not a trailer. One element we may need is a brief romantic moment...y'know...for da goyles.;)

2) I remain steadfast to synching the animation to the music but don't want get bogged down over it. If someone feels up to the task of creating a unique cut then I won't argue (since it would open a door for more contribution) but keep in mind that with the classic Saturday morning stuff ('60s-early '80s), most of the opening sequences are structured/edited to match the theme tune. We'll have to discuss this some more. Any other opinions?

As per the legality issue: We're using the name/logo, the character & the H.Ford likeness so sourcing the music is just another drop in the bucket.:eek:

3) It would be great if it was more cartoony but HJJNR is willing to work on the backgronds and it looks like that is his style. I'll be doing some, as well but don't want the difference to be too jarring. With his permission, some of them may eventually be modified a bit.
holdeen said:
the background is cut together from some old paintings ive done for an animation.

PS.: i agree that the backgrounds should be a bit more cartoon like. also animation backgrounds consist of several, well-structured layers (especially jungle scenes). trees, foliage etc. even the lightbeams have to be on a separate layer
Gettin' the feel, there, holdeen! I'm glad you couldn't resist.:hat: Yes, certain shots will have multiple layers but the question is: How fancy/modern do we want this to be? How old-school-Filmation-style do we want to stay? I say we limit ourselves to 10 layers max. (and that's for the most complicated shots). The simpler it is...the sooner we'll get it done.:)
IndyFan89 said:
Let me know when I'm needed.
Right on, 89.(y) What software do you have?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Oooh, that's an awful corny line, don't you think? Maybe Saboteur has a another suggestion? A b/w line animation would do for now but if you feel like adding colour then I'll provide the values. Format? I haven't decided yet

Those quotes always turn up like bad pennies!:D

I'm not bother about adding colour, will do if need but I am sure there is someone out there who could do a fantastic job.

How old-school-Filmation-style do we want to stay? I say we limit ourselves to 10 layers max. (and that's for the most complicated shots). The simpler it is...the sooner we'll get it done.

10 layers! Your talking disney. With Filmation you were lucky to get 2!!:D