Deleted scenes

russds

reinthal said:
I wonder, do you guys know of the missing sequence at the start of ToD when Indy is holding up the Peacock's Eye and he says - half under his breath - "Remy, you're never gonna believe this!" ;)

In the novel there's additional stuff that happens during those opening scenes, info found here.

"In the Temple of Doom novel, before Indy enters Club Obi-Wan, Short Round makes the arrangements for the trek to Siam, by purchasing three tickets - for Indiana Jones, Wu Han and himself. “I hardly think I could make room for someone of your stature" the officious Briton began. Short Round then handed him most of Indiana's money and then said: "Not for me. For Dr. Jones, the famous professor. This very important government case. I his assistant” When Indy and Willie land in the car, Indy asks if Short Round called the airport, and then replied: “Sure, Indy. Mr. Weber get seats for you, me and Wu Han.” Indy then replies with a sad tone, “Wu Han's not coming, Shorty” since Wu Han had been shot in the nightclub. This was in the original novel and was in the script, but if it is unknown whether or not it was filmed."

As far as Remy from Young Indiana Jones, and the Peacock's Eye, i think those were created after the filming of ToD, (please correct me if i'm wrong), so I find it unlikely that there would be a shot scene from ToD with Indy saying that.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
russds said:
In the novel there's additional stuff that happens during those opening scenes, info found here.

As far as Remy from Young Indiana Jones, and the Peacock's Eye, i think those were created after the filming of ToD, (please correct me if i'm wrong), so I find it unlikely that there would be a shot scene from ToD with Indy saying that.

Yeah, not a chance of this happening. By the way I took a look at the Raiders section of www.theindyexperience.com and it says that in the original 1981 theatrical version of Raiders, there are a few additional seconds during the Raven Bar fight where the Giant Sherpa shoves Indy against several walls while one of the Nazi henchman laughs. This footage was deleted in all re-release prints and video releases. Plus, in the theatrical version of Raiders, an additional scene takes place immediately after the credits roll. The camera cuts back to the Ark of the Covenant in the wooden crate inside the government warehouse where we last left it. In this scene, the Army intelligence stencil on the crate is slowly burned away by the power of the Ark but this scene was also cut from the DVD release. Is this true because I believe it ain't.

Crack that whip

russds said:

There certainly wouldn't be one, but I'm pretty sure reinthal was just joking (hence the winking smiley).

reinthal said:
...he says - half under his breath - "Remy, you're never gonna believe this!" ;)

I saw it once, glad I'm not the only one! It was part of a limited run SPFX film I saw in an OMNIMAX dome. I remember because I recently became aware of the closed captioning device they had just developed and scammed one! It was there in glorious puke green LCD letters!

I think we're missing the joke...

reinthal

Crack that whip said:
There certainly wouldn't be one, but I'm pretty sure reinthal was just joking (hence the winking smiley).

Ha ha, you got it!(y) Just my joke, inspired by a bit of wishful thinking from this Remy fan. :D

(I am aware that there's supposed to be an (unsent) letter from Indy to Remy that's in some diary/journal though that Indy writes after ToD.)

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
JuniorJones said:
rare2.jpg

Clearly the main site's deleted scenes pages need updating (and Crystal Skull's needs creating). Then it's on to a revised timeline... after vacation. Great stuff, keep it coming!

Stoo

Sakis said:
By the way I took a look at the Raiders section of www.theindyexperience.com and it says that in the original 1981 theatrical version of Raiders, there are a few additional seconds during the Raven Bar fight where the Giant Sherpa shoves Indy against several walls while one of the Nazi henchman laughs. This footage was deleted in all re-release prints and video releases.
Nice find, Sakis!(y) Anyone know where theindyexperience.com got the information from?:confused: The cut is entirely possible. In my 5 cinema viewings before the VHS release, I don't recall seeing that part but it would easy to forget.
Sakis said:
Plus, in the theatrical version of Raiders, an additional scene takes place immediately after the credits roll. The camera cuts back to the Ark of the Covenant in the wooden crate inside the government warehouse where we last left it. In this scene, the Army intelligence stencil on the crate is slowly burned away by the power of the Ark but this scene was also cut from the DVD release. Is this true because I believe it ain't.
Anyone interested in that subject can check out this thread: Ark burns US flag on crate?
Moedred said:
Clearly the main site's deleted scenes pages need updating (and Crystal Skull's needs creating). Then it's on to a revised timeline... after vacation. Great stuff, keep it coming!
Have a good vacation, Moe. I'd love to help fleshing out those pages when you get back.:)

---
That photo of Willie & Lal from the "Complete Making of" book is the first (and only) published photograph from that missing scence. Before 2008, the only visual representation we had was in the Marvel comic. Because of this photo's rarity, it is to be loved & cherised...

JediJones

Stoo said:
So somewhere out there, beyond the beyond, there is footage of the Washington steps scene without Marion!

I doubt it. I expect the scene on the steps would've been absent entirely. As a final gag, the ending works much better without that scene and surely would have been written that way. Without that scene, the film would have cut directly from Porkins emphasizing the phrase "top men" right to the janitor in "Area 51" storing the ark away. It would've had the same humorous effect as the scene in Crusade where Indy says Brody will "blend in" and then we cut to him lost on the streets of the Middle East. Just think if there was a different scene inserted before the shot of Brody on the street. There still would've been some laughs, but not nearly as strong. Because of the delay in timing, some people would not have made the connection between that dialogue and the scene.

JediJones

Have the adaptations provided any explanation for how Indy and Marion get back from the island with the ark at the end of Raiders? Weren't there still Germans at the island base and on the U-Boat they would've had to get past?

Stoo

JediJones said:
I doubt it. I expect the scene on the steps would've been absent entirely.
According to the quote, an alternate version of the scene (without Marion) was, indeed, filmed:

"Spielberg reshot the scene in downtown San Francisco, having Marion wait for Indiana on the steps on the government building."

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
According to the quote, an alternate version of the scene (without Marion) was, indeed, filmed:

"Spielberg reshot the scene in downtown San Francisco, having Marion wait for Indiana on the steps on the government building."

I agree. Although the scene wasn't in the script it was needed to present what ever happend to the character of Marion. Plus Raiders' humour wasn't that spread as in Crusade.
http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/making_6_postproduction.php

digitalfreaknyc

Ugh. From blu-ray.com

Yes we get about 2 minutes worth at the end of 'On set with Raiders of the Lost Ark' but it's just a compilation edited together with music playing but you get to see some interesting snipets such as Willie escaping back to her room only to be ambushed by the Prime Minister and Thugi guards.

What a tease. :(

digitalfreaknyc

Temple of Doom

Indy and Shortround Singing on elephants

indysinging02.jpg

Indy Touching Snake Statue

indywithsnake.jpg

Willie Captured in Room

williecaptured01.jpg

williecaptured02.jpg

The Last Crusade

Hilltop Explosion

mountainblast.jpg

JediJones

Stoo said:

That's from Dale Pollock's book, but it sounds like he's using the word "scene" very liberally there, to refer to the whole ending. His book wasn't perfect with technically accurate filmmaking terminology throughout. An actual scene on the steps without Marion would have made little sense to shoot. There's no reason to shoot a scene of Indy on the steps going nowhere, saying nothing and doing nothing. So unless proven otherwise I'm going to believe the original cut went directly from the line "top men" to the shot in the warehouse.

"[Marcia] was instrumental in changing the ending of Raiders, in which Indiana delivers the ark to Washington. Marion is nowhere to be seen, presumably stranded on an island with a submarine and a lot of melted Nazis. Marcia watched the rough cut in silence and then levelled the boom. She said there was no emotional resolution to the ending, because the girl disappears. 'Everyone was feeling really good until she said that,' Dunham recalls. 'It was one of those, "Oh no we lost sight of that." ' Spielberg reshot the scene in downtown San Francisco, having Marion wait for Indiana on the steps on the government building. Marcia, once again, had come to the rescue."

JediJones

Something else weird about that scene is that although Pollock claims it wasn't in the script, a version of it with alternate dialogue is in this version of the script online. So that begs the question of whether it was written, but just not filmed until Marcia Lucas objected. Or perhaps they filmed it as written in the script, then cut it out, then rewrote it with alternate dialogue and reshot it.

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Indiana-Jones-and-the-Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark.html

EXT. PENTAGON STEPS - DAY

Indy, Brody and Marion emerge from the building. Brody bids
them farewell and moves off in another direction. Marion
clings to Indy's arm in an energetic, very feminine way,
scolding him.

MARION
Well they aren't going to tell you,
so why don't you just forget it. I'd
think you'd had enough of that damn
Ark. Just put your mind on something
else.

Indy stops, looking across the river, his mind occupied.

INDY
Yeah, like what?

Marion makes a face, then puts her arms around his neck and
plants a humdinger of a kiss on his mouth. It goes on a while.
Finally they break.

INDY
It's not the Ark... but it'll have
to do.

They move down the steps, smiling.

russds

digitalfreaknyc said:
Apparently the deleted scenes are only 2 minutes long in total. :(

Given those images in your post, i was under the impression you had the BR and had either uploaded some screen shots that were just stills from the BR, or had taken them from small scenes on the BR. Where did you get the images, if not from the BR?

digitalfreaknyc

russds said:
Given those images in your post, i was under the impression you had the BR and had either uploaded some screen shots that were just stills from the BR, or had taken them from small scenes on the BR. Where did you get the images, if not from the BR?

They're from the BD. I don't have it yet. Someone else posted them.