Obama's first day, (or second...or third)*

Raiders90

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28767687/

Just to sum it up in my own words so this thread doesn't get closed Obama wants to close Guantanamo Bay within a year, and the trials there are today suspended for 120 days so that the White House can look at it on sort of a case by case basis. Not only that, but he's freezing the pay of white house officials making over 100k, along with some other stuff.

What do you guys think of this?

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
That's better. And your last thread was closed by an independent thinker (though most people fancies him as one of those bloody liberals), by the way.

And what comes to President Obama... good man, good man.

Vance

So, while the biggest complaint about Gitmo was that people were being held without a trial... the big announcement is that they'll be held without a trial for 120 more days?

Wouldn't the more sensible solution be to fast-track the trials and make the military prove its case at the tribunal?

Feels all publicity stunty.

Magda

Finn said:
That's better. And your last thread was closed by an independent thinker (though most people fancies him as one of those bloody liberals), by the way.

I see some things haven't changed. :p

DoomTown

I think the guy has a lot to live up to,and has a HUGE laundry list of problems to tackle. The whole worlds eyes are on him.

Unfortunately, I think lots of people are bound to be disappointed to some level because of those high expectations-Star Wars prequels, anyone???;)

As an American living abroad, it's amazing how much buzz there is about him everywhere I go...I think it's great.

However, I truly do have hope and believe the man and his administration is capable of pulling off major change in the States,and hopefully, the world.

Congratulations, President Obama, and good luck!!!(y)

aJakeinthePlane

The most astonishing executive order of the day, to me anyway, was that he closed the door on lobbying in the White house. He ordered that all members of the administration that had previously been lobbyists must abandon all accounts and cut ties with their previous employers. Also after leaving the administration the party in question will not be able to lobby the white house for 2 years.

Finn

Staff member
Vance said:
So, while the biggest complaint about Gitmo was that people were being held without a trial... the big announcement is that they'll be held without a trial for 120 more days?

Wouldn't the more sensible solution be to fast-track the trials and make the military prove its case at the tribunal?

Feels all publicity stunty.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/22/washington/22gitmo.html

"The decision, which had been expected as part of Mr. Obama?s pledge to close the detention camp, was described as a pause in all war-crimes proceedings there so that the new administration can evaluate how to proceed with prosecutions."

So President Obama wants to be in control instead of just settling in for the ride his predecessor set up without asking many questions. Kind of makes sense.

Vance

Finn said:
So President Obama wants to be in control instead of just settling in for the ride his predecessor set up without asking many questions. Kind of makes sense.

I actually do understand the decision, but the weirdness is how a lot of the Obamaniacs are spinning this as 'Look, he's closing Gitmo and letting those poor innocent people go!'

At the end of the day, from a practical standpoint, it still just looks to ME like these guys are guaranteed not to have a trial for four months. I don't see this as an improvement in either direction.

Finn

Staff member
Okay, the guy has now frozen some top salaries, neutered the DC lobbyists, closed Gitmo... and it's only his second day in the job.

At this rate, peace in Middle East by four years seems like a no stunt at all.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Three and a Half years, to be exact....

2012. Then the church will be raptured, (which, as most of you know is termed midtrib), and then Obama will establish himself as the Antichrist.

Come one now, are we going to continue a detailed accounting of this man's minuets? If every American had half the responsibility of this disciplined man, we wouldn't be the ass of the jokes around the world.

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Come one now, are we going to continue a detailed accounting of this man's minuets? If every American had half the responsibility of this disciplined man, we wouldn't be the ass of the jokes around the world.
One potential motivation for described behavior though might be the interest in how long he can keep this up. I can't recall any big news about the first two days of President Bush.

Come to think of it, I can't recall anything big from his first two months.

But I agree, I'm sure there are boards better suited than ours for this.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Finn said:
I can't recall any big news about the first two days of President Bush.
All the historic china and W's from the keyboards were missing.
Maybe Hillary brought them back?

Indy~Annie

Did he hit the stage running???.....ha!.......uh.........sorry corny joke.:p

I didnt see the video. We dont have real tv. sooooooooooooooooo.....

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d02360.pdf
Damage, theft, vandalism, and pranks occurred in the White House complex during the 2001 presidential transition. Incidents such as the removal of keys from computer keyboards; the theft of various items; the leaving of certain voice mail messages, signs, and written messages; and the placing of glue on desk drawers clearly were intentional acts.
items that were on loan from a private collector and on display in the EEOB during the Clinton administration were found to be missing sometime after the beginning of the new administration. According to the OA senior preservation and facilities officer, the items consisted ofa small oil painting, two china soup bowls, a china plate, a brass mantle clock, and a bust of President Lincoln.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn said:
One potential motivation for described behavior though might be the interest in how long he can keep this up. I can't recall any big news about the first two days of President Bush.

Come to think of it, I can't recall anything big from his first two months.

But I agree, I'm sure there are boards better suited than ours for this.

*Not to mention the upkeep involved in changing the title of this thread, every day....

IndySeven

Well, now that all of the celebrations and hype are over, I'm very eager to see how President Obama does. Already he's showing signs of change, which I like!(y)