KOTCS fashion police

Indy's brother

....and as long as I'm ranting here, what's up with the crotch of his pants? It hangs so low that it somehow looks like they're hiked-up. Makes him look older. Even if that was the cut of the day, it's not flattering for a guy that's supposed to not only be the leading man, but who is also playing a man several years younger than he is

photo-6.jpg

I mean seriously? Are they TRYING to make him look old?

Indy's brother

....and they did the same thing with Karen Allen/Marion:

photo-7.jpg

Now Karen Allen may have some years on her, but she is the leading lady...and in real life she is whaaaaay sexier than this. I mean just do an image search on her through google. This woman is hot beyond her years. What gives? Why did they go out of their way to make these two frumpier? It makes no sense.

metalinvader said:
Well,He was wearing a detainee outfit during the FBI interrogation.....

Is it just me or was that scene a homage to the scene where Ford is interrogated at the beginning of the Fugitive? The white shirt and the way he looks (sans beard) made me think of that even the first time I saw it.

Raiders90

I'll be honest, I wish we saw more 50s fashion in the film (polka dot dress on a young coed or even something like an Argyle sweater on Indy)

Joosse

DeepSixFix said:
As I understand, the white tux is actually an homage to Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca," one of ROTLA's many influences.

Good thread idea! :hat:

I always thought the white tux was straight out of James Bond as it exactly matches the one worn by Sean Connery in the opening scenes from Goldfinger, even down to the red carnation.

This to pay homage to the James Bond movies which were the inspirational 'father' to the Indiana Jones movies. Something they continued quite literally in the Last Crusade...

And I agree, great thread idea :D

IndyBuff

Has a reason ever been given as to why Indy wears his satchel outside his jacket in this installment? I know it's irrelevant but I've always been curious why this was changed.

Raiders90

IndyBuff said:
Has a reason ever been given as to why Indy wears his satchel outside his jacket in this installment? I know it's irrelevant but I've always been curious why this was changed.

Every movie makes little changes to the outfit. The hat changes with each movie, for example. The jacket is slightly different each time, too. ToD saw the sleeves get ripped off. LC he wears a necktie over the outfit. So the bag was the KOTCS outfit change.

I really dislike the hat in CS by the way. It looks way too big and almost countryish.

Dr.Jonesy

Raiders112390 said:
I really dislike the hat in CS by the way. It looks way too big and almost countryish.

Really? I think the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull hat is the second best in the series, personally.

Last Crusade being the worst. It's so tiny and looks pretty bad.

Raiders90

Dr.Jonesy said:
Really? I think the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull hat is the second best in the series, personally.

Last Crusade being the worst. It's so tiny and looks pretty bad.

The CS hat borders on looking like a Stetson more than a Fedora. I rank the hats on Harrison as such:

LC/Mystery of the Blues
TOD
Raiders
CS
images

images

images

images

images

That's another thing. All of the other hats have a sort of beaten/used look to them which gives each a distinct personally. The CS hat looks like it's new and wasn't used before the events of the movie. CS also is too tall.

Last edited:

Dr.Jonesy

Nothing beats the Raiders hat. It was the most worn down looking, had a few odd angles and that pinch on the crown = perfection.

Dr.Jonesy

Nothing beats the Raiders hat. It was the most worn down looking, had a few odd angles and that pinch on the crown = perfection.

Raiders90

Dr.Jonesy said:

Pinch is a little too deep, boxy. Honestly, if hats ever made a comeback, I wouldn't wear a fedora like Indy's. I would one like JFK:
images

Gear

"There is no such thing as a stupid question";

I had always been under the impression that Indy's fedora throughout his adventures was the one "Fedora" placed on his head as a teen, and that similarly, his jacket was one he picked up at some point and, like the hat, kept and repaired as needed through the years, like one would a trusty pair of boots. My leather jacket (motorcycle, not Indy), I've done much the same, and owned and worn for years.
I figured the Doc would have his tailored when he could, and hand fix more often than not. Much the same with the ol' hat.

I'd assumed the film alterations were supposed to be creative reflections of the unique story, but I've heard mention from the Indy literature that he has a collection of fedoras and, apparently, jackets.

So, what's the cannon?

If I should choose to worry about it.

Raiders90

Gear said:
"There is no such thing as a stupid question";

I had always been under the impression that Indy's fedora throughout his adventures was the one "Fedora" placed on his head as a teen, and that similarly, his jacket was one he picked up at some point and, like the hat, kept and repaired as needed through the years, like one would a trusty pair of boots. My leather jacket (motorcycle, not Indy), I've done much the same, and owned and worn for years.
I figured the Doc would have his tailored when he could, and hand fix more often than not. Much the same with the ol' hat.

I'd assumed the film alterations were supposed to be creative reflections of the unique story, but I've heard mention from the Indy literature that he has a collection of fedoras and, apparently, jackets.

So, what's the cannon?

If I should choose to worry about it.

If you count the novels I believe the Raiders novelization says when boarding the sub he lost his hat. Now, if so, then the hats from LC on are different.

I'd like to think Indy wore the hat he got in 1912 during the YIJC and then put it away for sakekeeping, a relic of his own past, and had one fashioned in a style much like it for use.

I mean think about it, if you have a precious, priceless hat you got as a teen, are you gonna wear it on adventures where it could easily get lost, rained on, or ruined in some way?

Gear

Raiders112390 said:
If you count the novels I believe the Raiders novelization says when boarding the sub he lost his hat. Now, if so, then the hats from LC on are different.

Yes, I'd heard that. His "favorite" fedora, no less

Raiders112390 said:
I mean think about it, if you have a precious, priceless hat you got as a teen, are you gonna wear it on adventures where it could easily get lost, rained on, or ruined in some way?

Idunno, 'lucky heirlooms' and such. Especially if you know how to repair and care for them. An early 20th century boy scout could probably pick it up.

IndyBuff

It also mentions that Indy picks up a different leather jacket on the zeppelin in the LC novelization. I always assumed the hat was the only piece that was meant to be original, but "anything goes".:hat: