Customizing Indy Figures

Dr Bones

Luke Sprywalker said:
Thanks for the kind words guys. I worked on this figure more than Toht. Here is the run down. I used Serpentor head, Chief Temple Thugee torso, upper arms, legs, hands, Dvochinco feet, Wolverine forearms. I sanded the mold line off the head. Dremeled, filled and sanded all joints and there are no paint rub problems.dremeled down all the pleets or ripples in the pants then sanded them smooth to look more like the character. Last I sculpted the legons and painted everything applying sealer every 2 layers of paint to help with the paint rub.

Thanks for the recipe. I wanted the mechanic and am gutted they left him out.

Might have to try a custom instead as yours looks so good.

NickTurner

NICE! I need to get me one of those.

I have a spare Thugee guard. Is that a 25th anniversary Serpentor? It sure looks the part.

inky_skin

I was recently fortunate enough to complete my loose Kenner Indiana Jones collection through a series of trades. However, it left me thinking two things - first what I'd do with the incomplete and broken figures I'd acquired through trading, and second how great it would have been to see further waves in the vintage line. Solution: create some customs.

Temple of Doom Indy: Monkey Man right arm (the spring loaded "Whip Action" still works), Well of Souls Indy (body) and standard Indy (head). Machete is made from found parts.

Flying Boat / Washington Indy (WIP): Standard Indy (cast head), Toht (body - modified to remove handkerchief and Nazi pin, replace right hand with that of a vintage Star Wars figure). Needs to be cast in correct coloured resin.

IMG_0414.jpg

Problem is, I've now got the vintage customising bug :)

Great idea and awesome execution, Inky! Any plans for other vintage Indy customs? Dietrich would probably be relatively easy using a vintage Star Wars Imperial Officer.

Mr. Fusion

My brother is in the process of resculpting and eventually repainting the head on this custom. Here is his custom mechanic as it is now:

GermanMechanic1.jpg

GermanMechanic10.jpg

GermanMechanic10.jpg

GermanMechanic16.jpg

GermanMechanic18.jpg

GermanMechanic7.jpg
[/quote]

Can anybody guess what head he used? Hint: He ain't got time to bleed!

pipecito2112YYZ

wow great work, guys!!!
well i NEVER had the kenner indy, but lucky i get the HASBRO ones of 2008, an i made my humble homage to this work...
P1030129.jpg

i used the ROTLA indy, the first one with the golden idol, used the shoes, arms & jacket; the head & torso from the temple trap (for my, the best head sculpt of the series) and the legs and hands of the indy with horse.

P1030133.jpg

the look is more based on the MARVEL COMICS feeling of the character, with gloves, of course.

P1030135.jpg

P1030131.jpg

There's something disturbing about his shoulders...or neck, or something, I can't quite place it, but it creeps me out!
(that is in reference to the 12" mechanic)

Lance Quazar

Inky,

Your Mola Ram is great. The soft goods is phenomenal. Painting is great.

The head choice is.....well, I think a little less than idea. I know you're very limited when it comes to vintage custom fodder, so I'm sure this was all you had to go with. But it doesn't quite evoke "mola ram" to me, sadly. And next to the Indy, it looks too detailed, as the Indy face is very vague.

Anyway, that said, I really do love your vintage custom line, but unfortunately Mola Ram's odd head showcases the lack of options you have.

But you're doing an amazing job in spite of the limitations and I hope to see even more!

Kevin

inky_skin said:
Guess I missed the mark with this one...

I don't think so. That head looks as much like Amrish Puri as the Indy head looks like Ford. In other words, not at all. But isn't that part of the nostalgic appeal of the old Indy and Star Wars figs?

I like it, I hope you do more vintage customs.

Montana Smith

Kevin said:
I don't think so. That head looks as much like Amrish Puri as the Indy head looks like Ford. In other words, not at all. But isn't that part of the nostalgic appeal of the old Indy and Star Wars figs?

I can see that - the original likeness were very hit or miss. If Mola looked too much like the actor, then he'd lose the nostalgic quality. The vintage figures (both Indy and Star Wars) don't really do it for me, as I now prize sculpting accuracy over nostalgia - but the idea of recreating missing characters in an early '80s style is a cool concept.