Ebay or Classifieds?

deckard24

I have a quick question for all you guys. Over the years I have amassed a pretty huge collection of stuff that is not just Indy related. My dilemma is, what do I do with it all? Aside from a handful of specific items, I'd really like to sell the whole lot. I'm not so crazy about selling things off one by one, because it'll take forever. Instead I'd rather sell it for one lump some at a decent price. These collectibles are predominantly Star Wars (vintage and new) and LotR. The Indy stuff I'm pretty fond of, but everything else I could do without.

So... is Ebay the best option, or are classifieds a better approach? Which would be the best way to dump it all at once? I'm sure some of you have had experience with this, so any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!:whip:

deckard24

Ebay huh? I figured that would be the answer. So you think do it in waves, because there is seriously a lot of stuff? The vintage SW alone is a really big collection, than there's all the new SW carded and loose, Unleashed stuff, 12"' figures, and vehicles. The LotR is more modest, but still a good 30-40 carded figures. Then there's some odd's and ends. It's all pretty overwhelming actually!

Katarn07

I sold my Xena and most of my Trek stuff in lots on eBay. I broke the Trek stuff into a few "themed" lots by show, movie, or character affiliation. I'm sure you could break down the LotR stuff to FotR, TT, and RotK lots or something....

As for SW stuff, I'm sure you know what's most valuable. Sell those things alone to maximize profit. Sell the rest in lots I guess. Good luck. I'm dreading the day I have to get rid of my stuff too!

deckard24

Thanks guys! I looked into what was on ebay, and well...the prices that the SW and LotR stuff was going for doesn't make me feel that encouraged. I want to get rid of the stuff, but at the prices certain pieces are going for... they are practically giving it away.

I just wish I could find one hardcore collector who would want to buy it all. The dilemma I see with ebay is, if you ask for too much there's a good chance it won't sell at all. But if you let the bidding set the price, you can get severely lowballed.

No Ticket

deckard24 said:
Thanks guys! I looked into what was on ebay, and well...the prices that the SW and LotR stuff was going for doesn't make me feel that encouraged. I want to get rid of the stuff, but at the prices certain pieces are going for... they are practically giving it away.

I just wish I could find one hardcore collector who would want to buy it all. The dilemma I see with ebay is, if you ask for too much there's a good chance it won't sell at all. But if you let the bidding set the price, you can get severely lowballed.

I used to collect animation cels. I found that, it's a good idea to find a forum or something where they collect said items of interest. Post there for awhile and then PM some of the people... or make a post or something to a webpage you put up with the items you want to sell. Those interested can make offers or you can list what YOUR willing to sell them for. It might take longer, but you'll eventually attract a SERIOUS collector who will pay what your looking for. I found one with the cels I had collected and the guy bought almost everything I had for more than I paid for it.

Does Rebelscum or Yakface's realm still exist? There's always TF.N ... JediNet... etc.

Katarn07

I think eBay has basically diminished the value of all collectibles since they're more readily available than they were pre-internet. Going to flee markets, antique stores, hobby shops, toy/doll shows as a kid is when collecting for me was the most fun. I got all my Indy and vintage Planet of the Apes that way and it was a blast, but now with eBay, it's so easy to come across the stuff and way cheaper because of it. Another problem is properties like SW, Indy, Trek, LotR, etc are so readily available but there's little demand because everybody seems to collect that stuff.

Tips for you auction: "Buy it Now" is good for individual pieces that sell for big bucks. I always find the most expensive thing that there are actually bids on and put mine up with a low starting bid but a "Buy it Now" that is high but still cheaper than that other item. (ie, I put my extra Disney Indy up with a starting bid of $20 but had a "Buy it Now" for $45. Someone got it within the first few hours because they were selling for over $50 at the time)

"Reserve" is something I never use and hate as a buyer. Put it up with a low price so people aren't scared off, but have the reserve there so if that's not met, you don't have to give up your collection for such a low price.

"Buy it Now or Best Offer" is probably your best bet. You can haggle with people. They see your price and offer you something lower. I've never done it as a seller but I tried it as a buyer. I sadly didn't make the best offer.... haha.

Good luck again!

deckard24

Thanks for the tips guys!:hat:

The_Raiders, your statement makes me wish we had a marketplace section here at the Raven! If I decide to go the ebay route I'll send you a message!(y)