Hitchcock

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm a bit bored, so here's a companion thread to the Spielberg one, about Steven's most direct predecessor, Alfred Hitchcock.

What are some of your favorite Hitchcock films?

-North by Northwest - a classic, gotta love the crop duster
-Strangers on a Train - brilliant concept and execution - the final twenty minutes or so are great
I also liked Rear Window and The Birds, Notorious was all right, I guess - still need to see Psycho though.

00Kevin

Indyfan
I'm afraid i havn't really seen much hitchcock

sure, we've all seen the famous shower scene in Psycho

I saw the birds

I saw "the secret agent", I think I feel asleep :) or at least totally lost interest

I still can't beleive I didn't see noth by northwest yet. One evening, I rented the king and I, north by nothwest and Fawlty Towers (british sitcom w/ john cleese...greatest sitcom EVER)......................I ended up watching the king and 1 once......and fawlty towers 1000000 Times!!! but no North by Northwest :(

anywho.....

the master of suspense.....one of the greatest directors of all time, a master, like the artist to his painting.......Hitchcock was the master of suspense

Finn

Staff member
"North by Northwest" - gotta agree, it's great!
"To Catch a Thief" - just for the athmosphere, it could have been more tense, though.
And finally "The Trouble with Harry" - it's hilarious! :D

swords

The Trouble with Harry
North by Northwest
and Vertigo

[Edited by swords on 04-21-2003 at 09:29 am]

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I just saw The Trouble with Harry today, and I agree with you guys, it was hilarious.

And as for the question that I believe swords posed, but has since edited out, my favorite director cameo is that of Hitchcock boarding a bus with a double bass fiddle in Strangers on a Train.

swords

Opps. sorry about that. Here's my favorite once again:

North by NorthWest, where Hitchcock misses his bus!:D

Kill Cavalry

I'd have to say Psycho and the Birds. I just liked those movies! The Birds was a little silly, tying birds to the back of poor school children's necks to make them peck them was kind of a low blow, but hey it works!
Psycho defined the suspense film. Phrases like "Don't go in there!" and "Don't they get it?" came into being for films just like this. Bravo Hitchcock! I also liked his series...what was it called again? He had this one episode where a man couldn't move and everyone assumed he was dead, at the last minute he was saved from the autopsy table. That was so incredibly suspensful!

swords

Cool, I know that show your talking about, it had Hitchcock in the beginning doing something satirical, or something with black humour. The show reminded me a lot of Tales from the Crypt, though the Crypt had more supernatural twists to its stories. Anyway, I rewatched "Strangers on a Train" and "North by Northwest", and let me just say it rekindled my appreciation for Hitchcock...

[Edited by swords on 04-30-2003 at 06:07 am]

Indy4ever

Rear Window...

Jimmy Stewart is wonderful in this. The most intriguing thing about this movie is that all the shots originate from his apartment, and the film is unique because of this. Grace Kelly's costumes are gorgeous too!

westford

I see they've released a new Hitchcock collection on video and DVD... Almost bought The Birds at the weekend - haven't seen it in years! Made me scared of crows for a while that films...