Goonies

roundshort

I just revisted this movie on a rainy winter day in North Cali, and It is about 1,000 times better than I remember it. I have been encouraging people my age (mid 30's) to revisit this flick. Just a great popcorn movie with out the crazy effects, stars etc. (excpet shorty)

junior

never even heard of the goonies, but i watch an old film the other night, so funny; it was call porky's, bestest old movie i ever sawed...

roundshort

junior said:
never even heard of the goonies, but i watch an old film the other night, so funny; it was call porky's, bestest old movie i ever sawed...

If this is an "old movie" then I am getting old!

GOONIES rocks!

DaFedora

Goonies never say die!

I concur,

I have a massive craving to look back at movies such as Goonies. It's like the best next sequel to Hook, or other adventure-themed movies from the 80ies and early 90ies.

Goonies had an immense impact on me when I was a kid and still in my early teens... I sure as heck started sorting out my Lego bricks, trying to come up with an invention that was as cool as the ones Data made whenever the movie was aired again. God, I really loved Ke Huey's character.
And I kinda had an instant crush on Kerri Green (still have for her type...) :p ... yet she went to college and that kinda ended her big screen-carreer (along with some movies like Summer Rental and Three for the Road).

As since I also had acute hayfever, I felt easy to sympathise with aerosol-inhaling Mikey.

Goonies had such a feel of genuine majestic wonder, mystery, adventure and amazement, comradship and the idea of 'life, the great amazing mystery' itself... I've rarely seen else in a movie.
I kinda get mushy whenever Mikey's dad says: 'That won't matter now. Because know I'm one of the richest people of Astoria.' (something along those lines, right before he's forced to sign the last notice paper of Perkins).

Also Dave Grusin's music really made the last 10 minutes really worth it with the ship coming out and sailing into the unknown sunset again...
Grusin's music is one of the few, aside from other scores in Hook, Bicentennial Man and soforth where the music perveys such a feel of majestic wonder.

Yeah, it's a pity the rumours on a Goonies sequel proved to be false, since Richard Donner didn't seem to see any story draughts fit to equal the original.

Anyway, for nostalgy's sake - check out this vacation video from some really hardcore Gooniesfans who drove to all locations and re-enacted scenes into a very nice hommage to the 1985 film.:

http://www.thegoonies.org/watch.htm

It's also got some rare behind the scenes footage...

Thinking of it, didn't they rework some of the archive material on a second Goonies DVD release with the actors reunion and interviews?

DaFedora

Update:
.. these Goonies.org guys seem to be working on yet another fanmade documentary, this time a retrospective look on the Goonies production and following cult phenomenon ... Will be released by Oxygen productions on DVD format, but it seems they bypassed their date of release (late 2005), so hopefully the project is soon to be completed...

Think I gotta own this one!

http://www.thegoonies.org/documentary.htm

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
That's sounds so awesome! I think they should make more films like those from the 80s and early 90s. They're more fun than today's movies. Everyone at film school are more concerned about today's issues rather than entertaining today's very bored cinematic audience whose numbers continue to drop because of film's lacking escapism and cinema's charge overkill.

Goonie

DaFedora said:
Update:
.. these Goonies.org guys seem to be working on yet another fanmade documentary, this time a retrospective look on the Goonies production and following cult phenomenon ... Will be released by Oxygen productions on DVD format, but it seems they bypassed their date of release (late 2005), so hopefully the project is soon to be completed...

Think I gotta own this one!

http://www.thegoonies.org/documentary.htm

I thought I'd resurrect an old thread.
Yup, I am also a Goonies fan. Who would've guessed from my Raven identity. I'm one of the original members over at TheGoonies.org forums. My board identity there is "Barbossa"

The Goonies fan-made documentary might be finished this year. I know Ron and Pat have been working on it for a long time now, but since starting the project, they had to deal with things like new additions to their families, etc. Anyway, Once it is completed it should be pretty good. Remember, this is a fan-made film for the fans. They managed to get interviews with Jeff Cohen, Corey Feldman, Robert Davi, Joe Pantoliano, director Richard Donner, and I believe Sean Astin. Maybe some of the other actors as well. I'm looking forward to the final product. If anyone wants to keep track of the progress, Ron occasionally posts updates on the message board at http://www.thegoonies.org/BB/index.php

And yes, I'm kinda hoping for a Goonies 2. Heck if Disney is resurrecting Tron, and Stallone brought back Rocky and Rambo, and Indy hit the screens for a 4th time, why not The Goonies? (y)

Goonie

The Goonies 25th Anniversary Celebration

Ron and Pat over at the Goonies.org have updated their site with info about the upcoming 25th Anniversary Goonies Celebration happening in Astoria Oregon June 4th to 7th:
http://goonies25thanniversary.com/
Attendees include:
Jeff Cohen (Chunk)
Corey Feldman (Mouth)
Joe Pantoliano (Francis Fratelli)
Curt Hanson (Elgin Perkins - Troy's dad)
More Goonies may show up.

I was hoping to go to this ever since they started planning it after the 20th anniversary celebration, but I'm unemployed again so it looks like I won't be able to make it. Hopefully there will be a 30th celebration.

Exulted Unicron

Goonies 25th Anniversary

1000124128brdbeauty.jpg

we all knew it was bound to happen. Aaaanyway, in honor of the big quarter-centennial, Warner Bros is releasing an anniversary collection box set. Slashfilm is reporting the set will include, ?a new board game, original movie storyboard reproductions, a 1985 souvenir magazine reprint, and reprint of 2009 Empire Magazine article with cast photos and updates.?

michael

That's looks pretty sweet. Pre-order on Amazon has it listed for $34.99 and it releases on November 2nd. I might pick this up!

Willie

I love the Goonies film. I watched it the other night and am planning on getting the DVD. It's a classic and really fun to watch.

Matt deMille

I love The Goonies. Here's my wishlist:

1) NO sequel. I know everyone wants one, and it'd be easy to do, but I think "The Goonies" is a classic that should be left alone. "The Dirty Dozen" for kids.

2) A pirate themed water park. Caves and chlorinated water. A pirate ship to diveboard-plankwalk off.

3) A kickass boardgame.

4) A Disneyland ride -- Oh, wait, they've already got it. For those who don't know this film, consider this: The first "Pirates of the Caribbean" film was made in 1985, and it is The Goonies. You can't tell me that ride didn't inspire 90% of this movie!

Goonie

Had a chance to see it on the big screen again today... the first time since it premiered in 1985. It was great to see it on the big screen again with a fairly decent sized audience. A lot of people in my age category that grew-up with the movie, as well as a new generation of kids accompanied with their parents. The Calgary Comic Expo put on the screening with all proceeds going to the families of the victims of the Aurora Colorado Theatre massacre.

Scored a couple things at the screening:
DSCN1580Medium.jpg

They don't sell Baby Ruths here in Canada so it was cool that they got some to sell from across the border.

Last edited: