Horrible Ideas That You Could Actually See Making It Into Indy 5

kongisking

col.dietrich said:
how about the film opening with a cgi gopher? oh, wait a second...

Ugh. I'll try to say this without using all caps...it's not gophers, it's prairie dogs. Please do some research before mocking something you don't like. :(

DoomsdayFAN

Too much goofy comedy. Too much GGI. Not enough action. Not enough booby traps. Not enough usage of the whip. Terrible musical score. Far too soft and childish. Boring. :sick:

I know that is exactly what happened with KOTCS, but I just hope it DOESNT happen again. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say WE ALL want the action and excitment of Raiders, the horror and terror of TOD, and the heart and emotion of Last Crusade combined into a single film for Indy 5. :gun: :whip: (y) That, and as little CGI as possible. :hat:

AnythingGoes

The worst thing I could see happening in Indy 5 is a strange, slapstick adventure featuring cameos by every single character still living. Willie will be revealed to have a TV spot oin some terrible 1960s sitcom, in which her catchphrase is 'Anything Goes!' Sallah will have been made out as a retired digger with about fifty grandchildren. Shorty will have become an ivy-league graduate with a degree in archealogy, which he uses to chase Indy around the globe as a--gasp!--rival akin to Rene Belloq! Marion and Willie will team up to become a comedy team with ~clashing opposites!~
In the end, Mutt will marry some hip-and-swingin' coed played by some pop-singer of some such thing, and the credits will roll, set to Life Dould Be a Dream
The very idea makes me sick to my stomach--:sick:
:whip:

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Two words:

Rob Schneider

The death knell of any movie!

As each day passes the most horrible idea is Indy 5 itself. One final, forced, safe and embarrassing outing from a team long past their prime, pushing forward Mutt as the weak heir to the franchise. :sick:

Dr.Jonesy

DoomsdayFAN said:
Too much goofy comedy.

Ever seen 'Last Crusade'?

DoomsdayFAN said:
Too much GGI. Not enough action.
The old Indy's used the technology of the day. KOTCS did the same. And KOTCS had plenty of action. In fact, one of the criticisms alot of reviews gave it is that the film was focused too much on the action.

'Last Crusade' had little action, actually.

DoomsdayFAN said:
Not enough usage of the whip. Terrible musical score. Far too soft and childish. Boring. :sick:

'Skull' used the whip more than 'Last Crusade'. Musical score was great. Williams can do no wrong.

Too soft/Childish? This is what 'Last Crusade' is like. Indy impersonating a Scottish guy? Henry being a goof all the time? Butchering Marcus/Sallah and making them buffoons?

DoomsdayFAN said:
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say WE ALL want the action and excitment of Raiders, the horror and terror of TOD, and the heart and emotion of Last Crusade combined into a single film for Indy 5. :gun: :whip: (y) That, and as little CGI as possible. :hat:

'Skull's first half was like 'Raiders' and the second half was a hybrid of 'Last Crusade' and 'Temple'. We got a good balance.

You don't speak for me.

:D

Montana Smith

P Tom said:
I could half imagine zombies and vampires turning up in Indy 5.... :dead:

We've already had a vampire in Young Indy.

Zombies could actually be an improvement over the aliens in KOTCS. Especially if they eat Mutt!

The Man

Montana Smith said:
We've already had a vampire in Young Indy.

Zombies could actually be an improvement over the aliens in KOTCS. Especially if they eat Mutt!

Mutt should be seduced by ancient succubus, played by Kirstie Alley. That would be super-frickin' awesome!

Montana Smith

The Man said:
Mutt should be seduced by ancient succubus, played by Kirstie Alley. That would be super-frickin' awesome!

Or by Salma Hayek in a dodgy truck stop, as in From Dusk Till Dawn. If Lucas and Spielberg moved aside for Tarantino and Rodriguez, then I'd be interested in seeing #5!

The Man

Montana Smith said:
Or by Salma Hayek in a dodgy truck stop, as in From Dusk Till Dawn. If Lucas and Spielberg moved aside for Tarantino and Rodriguez, then I'd be interested in seeing #5!

I'd drink a tub of your bathwater for suggesting that. ;)

Indy_Chic

I think a crazy idea would be Donovan's evil clone tracking down Indy and Mutt throughout Africa, Indy gets annoyed as Mutt insists he brings along his girlfriend.

...I better stop there, this thread is going to haunt my dreams for many nights :eek:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Indy_Chic said:
I think a crazy idea would be Donovan's evil clone tracking down Indy and Mutt throughout Africa, Indy gets annoyed as Mutt insists he brings along his girlfriend.

...I better stop there, this thread is going to haunt my dreams for many nights :eek:

Of course, you could always convert that to a good dream... you could be the girlfriend! :p

Lance Quazar

Dr.Jonesy said:
And KOTCS had plenty of action. In fact, one of the criticisms alot of reviews gave it is that the film was focused too much on the action.

'Last Crusade' had little action, actually.

Find me one legitimate review that makes that specific argument.

KOTCS had very little action at all.

Dr.Jonesy

Lance Quazar said:

KOTCS had very little action at all.

It had plenty of action. Just as much as 'Last Crusade'. I'm not going on a RottenTomatoes review hunt just so I can prove to you that it was said. Sorry, it's not worth it to me. But here's the action pieces for the 3 sequels just so you can compare!
:hat:

Temple of Doom
-Club Obi Wan Fight
-Fight in Indy's room
-Thugee Fight
-Mine Cart Chase
-Bridge Scene

Last Crusade
-Train Chase
-Ship Fight(Coronado)
-Boat Chase
-Bike Chase
-Plane Chase
-Tank Fight

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
-Warehouse Chase
-Diner Fight
-MotorCycle Chase
-Cemetary Guard Fight
-Jungle Chase
-Ants/Dovchenko

Do you fault 'Temple of Doom' for not having as much action? ;)

Mungi

Lance Quazar said:

I actually saw a video at YouTube where a film critic was speaking right after the premiere in Cannes. He said there was too much action, too much fun. He said it was a sequence of special effects and stunts, without any story or characters - he said that's not what people go into theaters for.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Dr.Jonesy said:
Do you fault 'Temple of Doom' for not having as much action? ;)

I don't, because I recall there being a car chase in Shanghai, a rubber raft careening down a mountainside, and two different and distinct Thuggee fight sequences, one at the ceremonial area and one in the mines. Way to stack the deck...

Lance Quazar

Dr.Jonesy said:
It had plenty of action. Just as much as 'Last Crusade'. I'm not going on a RottenTomatoes review hunt just so I can prove to you that it was said. Sorry, it's not worth it to me. But here's the action pieces for the 3 sequels just so you can compare!

Well, according to you, it was "alot of reviews", meaning at least a fair percentage of the critical community felt that way.

Find a SINGLE legitimate source that said that.

You also lump large swaths of "Temple of Doom" together - the entire huge section after Short Round's escape up to the mine cart is simply "Thugee fight", you don't mention the rope bridge at all and simultaneously you give KOTCS far more credit by breaking up actions that are much more closely part of the same sequence -

"Diner fight" and "motorcycle chase" are part of the same immediate, continuous sequence, nor is "Ants/Dovchenko" really separate from "jungle chase."

edited to add -

Didn't see Attila's response. Stacked deck indeed! :hat: