Indy 4 Deleted Scenes

Dr.Tyree

Yeah... does anyone else think these possibly deleted scenes would have been GREAT in the movie?

The example of Mutt's bloody knife - looks like a real moment!

(though, in the Ultimate Guide, it specifically says it has never been used in violence).

The trading cards show other scenes, like one between Indy and Mac fighting in the sedan...

Who knows - they could have been promotional, but it seems like an even better film was somewhere in there...?

Maybe a Director's cut?:gun:

Dr.Tyree said:
Yeah... does anyone else think these possibly deleted scenes would have been GREAT in the movie?

The example of Mutt's bloody knife - looks like a real moment!

(though, in the Ultimate Guide, it specifically says it has never been used in violence).

The trading cards show other scenes, like one between Indy and Mac fighting in the sedan...

Who knows - they could have been promotional, but it seems like an even better film was somewhere in there...?

Maybe a Director's cut?:gun:

That was not Mac in the sedan. It was Dimitri Diatchenko and it was in the movie. It's the scene where Dimitri pulls Indy off Mutt's bike and into the back of the sedan.

Indy fan 235

DarthGemni said:
- My son got a pack of trading cards and there is a picture of Indy whipping a knife out of a cemetary warrior's hand during the fight in the cemetary. The same image is also on the cover of the comic, and I believe it shows Indy practicing that scene in one of the last IJ.com web videos. That scene was not in the movie I saw last night.

There is a picture of that in the new Indy magazine. In this picture Mutt was in the scene too.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
The Football stadium scene was cut last year in New Haven and never filmed! Though extras were cast and costumes made the Yale Bowl was cut out last year. There was a beautiful wooden door made at Yale and had a motorcycle crash through it that was filmed -- never made it in... saw that one with my own eyes..

God'sRadio

Generally one of the disappointments for me was that the trailer led me to expect sequences that in fact turned out to last not much longer than in the trailer

Example
In the warehouse, Indy whips, swings, ends up in the truck, punches the drivers out - and seconds later is in Spalko's jeep.

Example
The shot of the warriors stalking Indy & Co, bolos whirling, Mac shouting Jonesy - and 90 seconds later everything is sorted.

And there are more

Jim Tigernuts

I just know there's a deleted scene where the camera zooms in on Indy's eyes in that classic motif. Clearly Someone thought it didn't work, which is pretty tragic. I was hanging out to see that motif. Not a true Indy film without it.

Jeeh

In the trailer there is this shot of something falling from the sky.

I always thought it was something alien soaring towards the ground, but it was never used in the movie, or I kinda completely missed it twice.

bergstrom

NamedAfterDaDog said:
This is my own imagination/fantasy, but one of the worst things for the movie for me, other than lack of whip action, was the lack of Dovenchko dialogue. As in, he had none. Toht, Deitrich, Chattar Lal, Vogel, all the villainous sidekicks, they all had at least three lines of dialogue, although none of them had as much action as Colonel D.
I would love to see more Spalko/Dovchenko dialogue, action, or communication, etc.

Regarding Dovenchiko, perhaps actions speaks louder than words.

Stoo

Jeeh said:
In the trailer there is this shot of something falling from the sky.

I always thought it was something alien soaring towards the ground, but it was never used in the movie, or I kinda completely missed it twice.
It's the rocket sled. Someone also mentioned, in another thread, there is a "making of" clip of Mutt rolling on the ground with his jacket off.

James

If anyone's interested, I'll post the significant additional scenes that appear in the novelization. Many of these were likely included in the original cut of the film. (Certain parts may have been included in the final cut as well, and I've simply gotten the different versions mixed up: novelization, comic, film. :eek: )

Here's part one:

Orellana's Death
A brief prologue where we see Orellana trying to return the skull, and being driven mad in the process. He makes it to the Chauchilla Cemetery and the "living dead" overtake him.

Yucatan Pennisula 1957
Indy is crawling beneath a Mayan city, while Mac is outside warning him that a tropical storm is fast approaching. Indy crawls toward the statue of a serpent, and ultimately falls down its mouth into an underground river. He's washed out through the side of a cliff, and uses his bullwhip to swing to safety. Meanwhile, the Russians invade Indy's campsite. When Indy finally returns, he finds everyone dead except Mac. The two are taken prisoner.

Spalko Operates
This occurs after Indy has survived the A bomb, and Spalko has returned to her base. As three top Russian officials look on, Spalko dissects the Roswell alien in a small operating room. As the officials leave, they coldly inform her that she is not to fail.

The Dean's Speech
At Indy's house, the Dean offers Indy another piece of advice. He points out that the youth are always asking, "Who will I be?", then later proclaiming, "This is who I am!". But at his age, he has begun to ask, "Who will they say I was?" This affects Indy and leads him to think about his legacy.

The Football Stadium
Just as a crucial play is about to begin, the motorcycle pursuit bursts onto the field. The quarterback, realizing the other team has backed off, launches a perfect pass. Indy ends up catching it and the crowd applauds. He then throws a pass of his own- through the car's open window and into the head of the driver. (This scene would've appeared in between the student protest and Brody's statue.)

Fortune and Glory
Prior to leaving his house with Mutt, Indy pauses to examine a sketching of Akator. He remarks to himself: "Akator. Where Oxley was taking the skull. If it exists, it would be the find of a lifetime. Make a reputation even politicians can't touch." Presumably, this would've explained how he intended to avoid further pressure from the government.

James

Part two:

Nazca Lesson on the Flight to Peru
During the flight, Mutt expresses an interest in the Nazca lines. Indy is trying to sleep, but admires the kid's interest and briefly explains them to him.

Chauchilla Cemetery
During the fight, Mutt throws his switchblade into a warrior's arm- which is then thrown back at him. This is where the still of Mutt examining the bloody switchblade occurs.

Mutt nearly falls through the floor when they enter the chamber, prompting Indy to warn him that they are on a promontory. Indy examines the conquistadors, and realizes they have been wrapped with the same material that was used in the Roswell container. This is how they remained preserved. Indy recovers the skull, and his eyes begin to glow red while staring into it.

Mutt tries to snap him out of the trance, and the burial chamber begins to collapse. Mutt ends up hanging over the Nazca lines, and Indy uses the dead corpse of Orellana to pull him back up. They race to escape as the rest of the chamber collapses. (This might've been a good scene to keep, since it made good use of the Nazca setting and provided a little extra action.)

Indy's Eyes of Fire
The scene where Indy is restrained and forced to stare at the skull is slightly more graphic. His eyes begin to glow red again and eventually tears of blood streak down his face.

Spalko Practices
Before leaving the camp and beginning their jungle convoy, Spalko practices her fencing in a clearing. Dovchenko secretly watches her with a mixture of respect and lust.

Spalko and Mac
One plot point is that the skull will not communicate with Spalko, which frustrates her. During the convoy, Mac notices her attempting to stare into it. He doesn't believe in the psychic nonsense and she tells him of psionic experiments the USSR has been performing.

In one, baby rabbits were taken on a submarine and systematically killed. The mother rabbit was left on the shore and monitored using an EEG. At the precise death of each, the mother registered a strong reaction. Spalko explains: "There is an organic mind-body link shared by all living creatures. If we could control that collective mind..."

Fighting in the Jungle
Spalko incorporates a lot of sexual innuendo in her fight with Mutt, teasing him about his youth. At one point, Mutt is distracted by the buttons on Spalko's top popping open.

Spalko survives the giant ants by entering an altered state, using mental techniques she has learned from the Inuits. She essentially just stands very still so the ants will not perceive her as a threat. There is no tree or ants building a bridge to reach her.

Marion's Plan Revealed
After landing the duck in a tree, the method to Marion's madness is explained. She yells to Indy: "Saw the tree earlier! When I was driving up! Cliff's not that high at this spot!"

The Duck Ride
As they head downriver, Mac tries to introduce himself to Marion. Indy tells him to back off- having already noticed him eyeing Marion in the camp. As they near the falls, a piranha is washed into the duck and bites Mutt.

Indy realizes that Oxley isn't referring to the waterfall as "the way down"- but the road that runs beside it. Indy instructs everyone to jump from the duck as they go over the falls, as a way of increasing their odds of surviving.

Young Indy

Chauchilla Cemetery

I agree this could have been incorporated, the rest is fine out. Cool stuff to read in the books and other sources though.

|ZiR|

James said:
If anyone's interested, I'll post the significant additional scenes that appear in the novelization.

Thank you! Interesting stuff. Is it just those, or are there anymore changes?

I gotta say, I really love the sound of some of those scenes. I wonder how many of them were actually filmed... not that it matters, though, 'cause I don't see Spielburg going all Ridley Scott and releasing a Director's Cut of KotCS. Sadly.

Thanks again for posting this. I haven't had a chance to pick up a copy of the book yet.

AHegele

wow a lot of that stuff would have been great in the film. at the very least a moment of explanation as to why Marion knew about the tree, the extra Spalko stuff sounds great.