LucasArts Confirms Layoffs, Says The Dev Is Still Healthy

ReggieSnake

It makes sense that they would be letting people go in places like production services since they are out-sourcing, but the fact that they let go enough people in the programming department for them to be short-staffed, as they say, makes me wonder if there isn't something else going on as well. Who knows.

Hopefully this has no negative impact on upcoming games like Indy.

xfkirsten

I wouldn't be surprised if the current state of the economy had quite a bit to do with this, too. Many companies out there are making big layoffs right now.

The Tingler

LucasArts only fired almost all of their employees a few years ago! They hired brand new talent, trained them for several years... and now they're firing them too!

It seems very likely that Indy will be effected negatively by this - I've got a nasty feeling the game will be rushed now.

Goonie

xfkirsten said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the current state of the economy had quite a bit to do with this, too. Many companies out there are making big layoffs right now.

Could be, I don't even live in the US and I'm currently laid-off due to the state of the US economy.

The Drifter

The Tingler said:
LucasArts only fired almost all of their employees a few years ago! They hired brand new talent, trained them for several years... and now they're firing them too!

It seems very likely that Indy will be effected negatively by this - I've got a nasty feeling the game will be rushed now.

Or cancelled :(

Joel

I'm really not surprised with this. Since the early 2000's, Lucasart's output has declined significantly. Their development was at its peak in the 1990s with classics such as The Dig, Sam and Max, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle and Dark Forces. To this day those are some of my favourite games of all time. PC Gaming was at its peak back then, in the same way classic rock 'n' roll was in the 1960's with The Beatles, Rolling Stones and The Who.

To see Lucasarts finally take a fall doesn't surprise me, which is a shame because for a good decade they had an undefeatable formula.

Vance

xfkirsten said:

Really? Start naming a few... The economy we're in now is a dream economy by any other standards than partisan Democrats want to push. All the numbers are better than at any point during the Clinton administration... yet we constantly hear this drumbeat of 'end of the world'.

LucasArts is having issues because, like many other game companies, they grossly overspend to create their products, making even their most successful games unprofitable. There's no mystery, no big surprise. If a game is expected to take in $40 million dollars retail, you can't spend TWICE that amount developing it.

xfkirsten

Vance said:
Really? Start naming a few... The economy we're in now is a dream economy by any other standards than partisan Democrats want to push. All the numbers are better than at any point during the Clinton administration... yet we constantly hear this drumbeat of 'end of the world'.

Without trying to derail the thread (this is about LucasArts, not a political debate), the spike in unemployment in the last year is no secret.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/07/business/07econ.html?bl&ex=1212984000&en=d4a35d67105b8c74&ei=5087
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm
Among many other sources...

(I know a few people who've been laid off in the last couple of months... the latest just lost her job at TokyoPop when they made cuts)

indytim

I actually worked in the videogame industry for a couple of years and wouldn't recommend it to anybody. It's quite a horror story on the inside. Layoffs are very common events. I still have friends who work in the industry and the shelf life of their jobs seems to be about two years before they're given the boot and are then scrambling around to find work with another games company :confused:

LucasArts should get together with companies like Double Fine (www.doublefine.com) and Telltale Games (www.telltalegames.com) who know how to make good, clean, fun games (y) Double Fine's Tim Schafer was one of the reasons why LucasArt's games became so popular in the first place and Telltale's successful resurrection of the Sam and Max point and click adventure franchise now has me screaming (well, not literally) for LucasArts to pass them the Indy Jones franchise and say 'point and click that!'. Could you imagine a bonafide sequel to Fate Of Atlantis on the Wii!? Videogame nivana! :hat:

Vance

xfkirsten said:
Without trying to derail the thread (this is about LucasArts, not a political debate), the spike in unemployment in the last year is no secret.

To say that 'it's the economy' is a political statement. It also shows profound historical ignorance to assume that a 4.8 unemployment rate is somehow terrible and is the obvious reason that LucasArts is cutting back.

http://www.nidataplus.com/lfeus1.htm - for a listing of recent unemployment rates.

The dirty little secret about most business cutbacks and failures are that maybe - just maybe - the companies themselves screwed up somehow. As someone who has been in the game industry, I guarantee you that LucasArts's problems cannot be blamed on Bush, and that Obama would not have magically made more Indiana Jones games come our way.

It's, unfortunately, much more to blame that many people who run our entertainment industries are complete and utter morons when it comes to running a business.

Finn

Staff member
Vance said:
It's, unfortunately, much more to blame that many people who run our entertainment industries are complete and utter morons when it comes to running a business.
That's actually kind of a two-sided deal there. Most people on top are businessmen first and foremost and in this role they understand very little of the artistical values. This really hurts the quality in some potential projects or shuts them down altogether. It's kind of sad and funny at the same time... while trying to make decisions that'll rack up the figures you actually end up hurting your own sales. Good products sell - it's as simple as that.

As a side note I also might say how bemusing it is that some execs blame piracy for bad sales and seem especially fond of the mathematic that says that every downloadable copy is a figure off the racks. It's utter bull dung. It is a problem, but one you should cope with, not try to fight one-on-one. Again, the best way to put up with it is to make good games - the kind people find worth supporting. Some call this logic a naive one but they couldn't be more far off the mark. They'd be surprised to see for how many it actually is simply that kind of decision - it doesn't matter if there's a (morally dubious) way to get the core product for free, you'll pay for it if you find it worth paying. And I'm not saying this simply as a sole customer.

So it's not "bad business decisions" in the traditional sense of mind but more likely not being able to understand the true nature of things you're actually marketing. We're they running a business that's not dealing in entertainment they'd probably be running away with a fortune.

Vance

Oh, Finn, you would be surprised by how game companies are often run. One that I didn't work for, but am very familiar with, is actually budgeting for all of their games to sell 5 million copies on launch quarter. They actually spend that much developing each game - so that even if their last game was a 2 million seller, they LOST money on it.

There's this belief, at least in North American studios, that all a company has to do is sell 'Halo Numbers' once, and they're set for life, so they'll bet the farm on each title, spend huge amounts on development and marketing - while not even paying attention to the fact that even Halo 3 lost money at the end of the day.

So, when you have this 'vegas' mindset it's not surprising that, at some point, the bank is going to want the debts called. That is what's killing the industry, despite it making so much money - the development and publishing hosues are simply spending far far more than they take in.