John Hurt's role?

Just so I can salvage some meaning for this thread perhaps part of the plot is time related and that John WILL be playing Einstein. Stranger things have happened.

Hawkeye

Finn said:
Just for the record, it doesn't make much sense him playing Abner either.
Yeah, but at least Abner is a fictional character whose backstory isn't firmly established. They could easily explain what happened to him that would cause Marion to think he was dead. As for Einstein appearing in a flashback, other than for an atomic bomb scene, where would Einstein be a useful character?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I don't think he'll play Abner or Einstein. Abner is more likely and preferred in my book (out of the two), but Einstein as a character is pretty ridiculous.

Besides Abner did make an implied appearance in the Marvel comics and it worked pretty well. That approach would work.

Personally, I see John playing a new character professor who was obsessed with the skulls and is kidnapped as well by the Russians to locate the last Crystal Skull. When he is unsuccessful, they somehow find out about Indy and use Marion as leverage for Indy to find the Crystal Skull and it's kingdom. My guess.

Hawkeye

I agree, Violet. Einstein as a character doesn't make any sense. Sure, on the Young Indy series, Indy met famous people on every episode, but in the movies, all of the characters are fictional. And, I could totally see John playing someone obsessed with the skulls. Heck, any character is fine with me, as long as it's not something ridiculous like his portrayal as Caligula in "I, Claudius". I still can't get the sight of him dressed in drag and doing his weird dance. It was convincing, though.

Lynx

After seeing what he looks like in the Wrap video, he's definetly not Einstein. If the Ark returns, I'm pretty sure he'll be Abner. Otherwise, a new character.

So, I'm going to guess he's Abner for now since the seems to be a decent amount of evidence that the Ark will return.

Vendetta08

You can tell from the wrap video that he certainly is NOT playing Einstein. I don't think that would be a good choice anyway. Abner would be better, but I'm not particular fond of that choice either.

Zorg

Violet Indy said:
Personally, I see John playing a new character professor who was obsessed with the skulls and is kidnapped as well by the Russians to locate the last Crystal Skull. When he is unsuccessful, they somehow find out about Indy and use Marion as leverage for Indy to find the Crystal Skull and it's kingdom. My guess.

That'd make sense.

As Marion is back, plus it seems the Ark is back in some capacity, plus Abner's story is pretty unknown to say the least, plus Hurts age, then it seems more than likely that Hurt will indeed be Abner.

His obsession was the Ark: if the Ark is back and linked to the crystal skulls in the movie, then its reasonable that Abner will be at the forefront of this research.

Something tumultuous must happen for Marion to be returning: if the rumour that she's used by the Russians to blackmail Indy into action is true then it would be "more" believable that they'd traced her and Indy's past through having Abner already rather than for some godforsaken reason know about her past flings.

Abner's history and fate have in no way been spelled out to us in the previous movies: we know he was long gone in Nepal in Raiders in '36 which doesn't mean he died as enough ambiguity exists in the dialogue of this original scene to leave things open-ended.

Hurt is currently a very weathered 67 (facially): if he plays a character even his own age (and obviously he could easily play older) then that would be 9 years older than Indy in 1957, the assumed setting period. As Indy is known to be much older than Marion (from the dialogue in Raiders),then this puts Hurt;s character at least 20 years older than Marion, so its possible he's a realistic choice to play her dad.

All things considered I think there's little chance he's not Abner, and I think its a great plot idea to have him back.

'Course, this could be totally wrong as recently Darabont claimed he persuaded the Beards to bring Marion back. I can't see this ALSO resulting in bringing Abner back, which suggests he was in the story already. And I can't imagine a storyline for Indy 4 that included Abner but not Marion. Then again, thats supposing the key elements of the Darabont storyline remained through the Nathanson and Koepp re-writes, which for the record I'm inclined to believe (I think it was the tone and characterization aspects of a Darabont script that would peeve Lucas - a bad thing for the movie IMHO).

Which brings my tortuous logic back to its conclusion that Hurt is almost certainly Abner!

Niteshade007

The "That's a wrap" video doesn't really have any bearing to me because he isn't wearing a costume. I don't think Shia or Cate are either.

I don't think I'd like it if he was playing Abner because we've already been told that Abner is dead. Bringing back a character would seem a bit too gimmicky, in my book. Although, given the choice between him playing Einstein and Abner, I'd go with Abner.

And VioletIndy, you're comment about him being kidnapped by the Russians to find the skull sounds a bit too much like Last Crusade. Obviously, it's not exactly like Last Crusade, because for all we know, Dr. Jones went willingly to help find the grail, but still, it does have shades of LC at the very least.

NileQT87

Niteshade007 said:
The "That's a wrap" video doesn't really have any bearing to me because he isn't wearing a costume. I don't think Shia or Cate are either.

that last shot with harrison in suspenders/bowtie, shia in wide-legged '50s pants, short thick tie and duck ass haircut that isn't flattened down like shia has tended to do any time when he's not filming (FINALLY they got the high waistline--shia labeouf would never where his pants that high, which proves the costume people put him in it)... that last shot also has john hurt with a shaven face and also in an outfit very similar to harrison's. being that this shot has all the actors embracing the high-pant-waisted '50s (even harrison had his pants lower on his waist when he's in the old "'30s adventure" clothes), i am definitely calling costume on this one for all 3 of them.

so we know that john hurt's character has a big bushy beard/moustache and shaves it at some point during the movie. lends credence to the captured abner theory.

The Whip

Violet Indy said:

Isn't that almost exactly the same story as Last Crusade?

Professor Jones

I vote for the Abner theory... and I would love to know some more about this character. Seems interesting.

Of course that is not a necessity, but since every Indiana Jones movie has given some details more about Indy (especially the Last Crusade, where we discover Indy's origins and Indy's family), would be likely that KOTCS show us some more. That would obviously make me propend for something regarding the Indy-Marion relationship and - why not? - Indy's professional past: in both case one interesting theme to discover would be right the Abner Ravenwood character.

Getting him involved in the plot would surely give the opportunity of discover some more of his relation with Indy as his disciple and as his daughter's boyfriend.

Unless... unless Aber is portraited by... Jim Broadbent. That could be as well... And to John Hurt could be reserved some more trilogy-indipendent role. But I don't know why I feel more possible that Abner is John Hurt (besides, Broadbent declared he plays "a Yale professor", that's quite generic, and both seem to have a "professoral" costume)...

Whew... the possibilities are really a lot!

Kingsley

Aaron H said:
I'm fairly certain that Mr. Hurt is not playing the crazy-haired physist.
After the Beowulf Trailergate this statement sounds a little weak... but I want to believe that, I like the Idea of Abner's return.

Indy4fan

ABNER IS DEAD!!!!!! KILLED IN A LANDSLIDE! MARION tells Indy, "Abner's DEAD!" DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD :dead:
Professor Jones said:
I vote for the Abner theory... and I would love to know some more about this character. Seems interesting.

Of course that is not a necessity, but since every Indiana Jones movie has given some details more about Indy (especially the Last Crusade, where we discover Indy's origins and Indy's family), would be likely that KOTCS show us some more. That would obviously make me propend for something regarding the Indy-Marion relationship and - why not? - Indy's professional past: in both case one interesting theme to discover would be right the Abner Ravenwood character.

Getting him involved in the plot would surely give the opportunity of discover some more of his relation with Indy as his disciple and as his daughter's boyfriend.

Unless... unless Aber is portraited by... Jim Broadbent. That could be as well... And to John Hurt could be reserved some more trilogy-indipendent role. But I don't know why I feel more possible that Abner is John Hurt (besides, Broadbent declared he plays "a Yale professor", that's quite generic, and both seem to have a "professoral" costume)...

Whew... the possibilities are really a lot!

Indy4fan

Abner is dead

Okay, I need to know y everyone keeps tlking about Abner being back in Indy4. HE IS DEAD! Doesn't anyone remember that line from Raiders? "Abner's dead" - Marion. Various Indy timelines say that he was killed in a landslide. Why do ppl think he's alive?:dead:

clorrificus

i dont understand why people have such a hard time in understanding how he could be back...maybe marion was lied to about his death...maybe she lied to indy....etc. there are hundreds of explanations.