Misconceptions you had when you first watched the movies

LostArk

One time, before I had even watched the movies, RotLA was on TV and it was on the basket chase scene and when I watched Indy knocking over the baskets in Cairo, I thought he was looking for the Ark.

The first time I watched ToD, I thought Willie was one of Indy's spies like Wu Han when he took her as a hostage with that poker.

I also thought Fedora from The Last Crusade was actually Indy played by a different actor. I was very disappointed :eek:

LostArk

MolaRam2 said:
Well, the one many people will probably have in common is not realizing ToD is a prequel.

Sometimes people miss that kind of thing because they ignore the opening credits and miss the time/setting caption. I know because it happened to me the first time :(

fixer79

LostArk said:
Sometimes people miss that kind of thing because they ignore the opening credits and miss the time/setting caption. I know because it happened to me the first time :(

Happened to me too. I thought Doom was Raiders' sequel for many years...
It's really an easy mistake to make...
The reprisal of the 'shoot the swordsman' gag in Doom doesn't help either. In fact it works better if you consider Raiders happened before Doom.

I can't think of any other real misconceptions...

Oh, except for the fact that I thought Indy was talking about Ike Turner when he said "I like Ike" in Crystal Skull... I don't think many non-Americans got that joke at first. :)

The Man

LostArk said:
One time, before I had even watched the movies, RotLA was on TV and it was on the basket chase scene and when I watched Indy knocking over the baskets in Cairo, I thought he was looking for the Ark.

The first time I watched ToD, I thought Willie was one of Indy's spies like Wu Han when he took her as a hostage with that poker.

I also thought Fedora from The Last Crusade was actually Indy played by a different actor. I was very disappointed :eek:

Yeah, I thought Fedora was Indy in those first moments too. Ahh, the days before spoilermania...

The Drifter

When I was a wee lad mt dad told me that ToD took place first.

I did not know why the piolets jumps from Lao Che's plane, until I learned to read.

I was scared of Toht's melting head. It was almost as bad as Large Marge from Peewee's Big Advenure!

MaxPhactor23

Lonsome_Drifter said:
When I was a wee lad mt dad told me that ToD took place first.

Temple of Doom does take place first. People were literally just talking about it up above and how people don't read the year at the beginning.

The Drifter

MaxPhactor23 said:
Temple of Doom does take place first. People were literally just talking about it up above and how people don't read the year at the beginning.

My sentence read wrong, I am sorry.
I meant to state that my dad was the one who told me that it was a prequel. Before that, I always thought that it took place after Raiders.

IAdventurer01

In ToD, I thought Indy was threatened that his feet would be cut off rather than ... well, let's just say it was a misunderstanding. :eek:

when i was little I threw up when I saw Toht's melting head and i didn't watch raiders again until I was 11. when i first saw raiders i didn't comprehend it cause i was little and i thought they were looking for Noah's ark:)

Turtle

For a long time, I thought that Temple was made before Raiders, as well as being set before it. This is when I first got the films on video, I was very young and didn't understand the concept of prequels.

I didn't find out it was made afterwards until the VHS releases that came with Young Indy videos.

nitzsche

fixer79 said:
Happened to me too. I thought Doom was Raiders' sequel for many years...
It's really an easy mistake to make...
The reprisal of the 'shoot the swordsman' gag in Doom doesn't help either. In fact it works better if you consider Raiders happened before Doom.

I can't think of any other real misconceptions...

Oh, except for the fact that I thought Indy was talking about Ike Turner when he said "I like Ike" in Crystal Skull... I don't think many non-Americans got that joke at first. :)

Dwight Eisenhower's nickname was "Ike". The slogan "I like Ike" is referring to him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_Eisenhower

JerryKing

As a child, while watching "Raiders" - and for many years afterwards - I was sure that Junior managed to sneak onto the submarine and pretend to be a crewman. There is a Fordish officer in a white sweater visible during the submarine scenes, and all the time I assumed it was Junior, who had killed a crewman and impersonated him throughout the journey.

All of which would, in fact, certainly make much more sense than sitting on top of an U-Boot for days.

ValenciaGrail

I thought Darth Vader was Darth Fader....and that Luke wanted to be one of those "Jet Eye" Knights
Oops, wrong film...:D

I went into Raiders in the theaters thinking it would be about Noah's Ark.

For the longest time, I thought the line "Adios Satipo" was "Adios Stupido" until I looked at the DVD subtitles.

I also thought the pilot's name was "Jacque", until discovering it was "Jock"....again via subtitles.

Goodsport

ValenciaGrail said:
I went into Raiders in the theaters thinking it would be about Noah's Ark.

Until I'd glanced at the Marvel Comics adaptation of the movie just prior to seeing it in the theaters (I just completed fifth-grade when I first saw the movie during its re-release in the Summer of 1982... I'm old :( ), I thought the exact same thing. :eek:

Also, when the TV commercials for Raiders of the Lost Ark first hit the airwaves in 1981, a dim-witted classmate of mine at the time actually thought that the movie was about the NFL's Oakland Raiders. :D

-G

vf wing

When I first saw Last Crusade, I thought Young Panama Hat might be Belloq. He was wearing a very similar white outfit and the scene was set in 1912, well before he had died. Of course, when they jumped to '38 a few minutes later i realized my mistake!

DocWhiskey

One big misconception was the fact that I didn't know the "bad guys" were Nazis. They were just the "bad guys". And I seen them all out of order, so I thought Last Crusade was the 1st film b/c it started off with Indy as a boy. And for some reason the whole Katanga/Submarine scenes were totally forgotten when I was young. When I bought the DVDs and seen Raiders in '03, I thought those scenes were added in or something. I didn't even vaguely remember them.