Misconceptions you had when you first watched the movies

Bantu-Wind

When I was a kid I always heard in Raiders, "Sometimes I wonder monsieur if you have that Canadian mind." It made me wonder if Belloq was from Quebec or something. :hat:

Benraianajones

MaxPhactor23 said:
For a long time I always thought Toht was chinese.

Haha, his daughter (well Ronald Lacey's) used to be on a sitcom here in Britain, and she had a bit of a piggy nose like his.

One misconception a lot of people have, or confusion - is - does Elsa give Donovan the wrong grail on purpose? I am swaying to yes, she does.

The Man

Benraianajones said:
Haha, his daughter (well Ronald Lacey's) used to be on a sitcom here in Britain, and she had a bit of a piggy nose like his.

One misconception a lot of people have, or confusion - is - does Elsa give Donovan the wrong grail on purpose? I am swaying to yes, she does.

She certainly does, yes.

Quickening

Benraianajones said:

Yeah and this is put across by the fact that when Donovan keels over the water bowl you see Elsa's face which is cold and uncaring. She chose the wrong grail intentionally.

Benraianajones

Yeah, I imagined so, I also expect he knew she had on purpose too, hence why he has his hands grasped around her neck near the very end of his life!

Sam Falco

Not to mention that after Donovan dies, Elsa specifically says "It would not be made out of gold" so she knew the entire time that the one she gave Donovan wasnt the Grail.

Tsar

AnImaginaryBoy said:
Also for some reason I thought the Indy films were set in the present day. I was quite shocked when I realised they were all set in the thirties!

WOW... ....

Ryre Sambere

I used to think that the movies were actually made in the thirties, since that was when they took place.

My little brother always thought that Indy said "poor soul", when Forrestal's corpse appears in Raiders.

Sam Falco

"This is it, this is where poor-soul cashed in."

"Friend of yours?"

"Competitor. He was poor... He was veeeery poor."

Benraianajones

Sam Falco said:
Not to mention that after Donovan dies, Elsa specifically says "It would not be made out of gold" so she knew the entire time that the one she gave Donovan wasnt the Grail.

Yes she does, and you could say it is another misconception people have, because it sounds like she is questioning it, after he "error" - "it would not be made out of gold?" - but it is apparent with subtitles she is not questioning, but stating.

Coronado

For a long while, I didn't know the Ark was a real concept - I thought it had been made up for the film! :eek:

I was probably in my early teens when it finally dawned on me. What can I say - I didn't have a religious upbringing!

-Coronado

Bat-Dude

Some of yours are hilarious!!

I'm trying to think of some of mine...I know I had a few since I was only 7 when Raiders came out...

1) I never understood as a kid why the Ark ghosts didn't kill Indy and Marion simply b/c they had their eyes closed; nor how Indy knew to close his/their eyes to avoid the fate of the Nazis.

2) I also didn't understand why Katanga suddenly turned evil when he tells the Nazis he's going to sell Marion :eek: :D

3) I remember reading the date in ToD and not being able to remember the date of RotLA. I was frantically asking all of my friends if they remembered b/c I couldn't understand why in the world Indy and Marion had broken up :eek: - Then years later my dad got RotLA on Laser Disc and by then I had forgottent the date of ToD :( I didn't solve that "prequel mystery" until the '90s when they re-released the movies on VHS again.

4) I always wondered what "Om-nom-sha-bah" meant :p - My friends and I used to say it whenever we were scared - Hahahahahaha :D

5) In middle school (and beyond) my best friend was Indian and we became friends b/c I absolutely just HAD to ask him if Indian people really, truly ate "snake surprise" and "chilled monkey brains" !! :sick: - He laughed at me about that for years afterward :eek: - Ah, middle school in the '80s...when a kid could ask honest, innocent questions w/o being accused of racism :p

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

martinland

Sam Falco said:
There's more:
If you look closely, in the background Elsa shakes her head in negation towards Indy as Donovan takes the 'holy grail'! :gun:

Indy&HanFan

not until a few months ago, i didn't know temple of doom was raiders prequel. and when indy said "dates, you eat 'em" i always thought he was saying "dates, you need 'em" like he was talking about going out on a date

Kooshmeister

The way he says it upon finding the guy speared made it difficult to figure it out. I never connected it to what he said at the tunnel entrance.