Misconceptions you had when you first watched the movies

TravisBickle

I also always thought the guy in ToD who got sacrificed and the guy in TLC who wasn't penitent enough and got his head sliced off was the same actor.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
TravisBickle said:
I also always thought the guy in ToD who got sacrificed and the guy in TLC who wasn't penitent enough and got his head sliced off was the same actor.

Eh, they are pretty similar looking. Just like de Niro and that cab driver who went crazy in the 70s.

Whipper

All of which would, in fact, certainly make much more sense than sitting on top of an U-Boot for days.

...and gambling that it wouldn't Submerge along the way, as submarines are wont to do.

I thought the Shankara stones were potatoes.

Hot potatoes, apparently.

Leiter91

I thought Harrison Ford shot real Nazi's in the movies, cause it looked so real. I thought they were Nazi POW's, who were sentenced to being executed, and were just killed on-screen by Harrison Ford...I was a weird kid...

TravisBickle

Kali Mah said:
When I was a kid, I thought Last Crusade was a great movie.

*braces for impact*

When I was 5, I thought it was the best of the series. 12 years later, I think it's the best of the series.

Kooshmeister

I dunno if this counts as a misconception, but speaking of Last Crusade, as a kid, after the tank blows up and runs over the Kubelwagon and Vogel screams "Wo ist Jooooooooones?!" I was positive he was angry because some of his men were in that thing and Indy had basically forced him to destroy it.

In later years, I figured, "He's an evil Nazi, why would he care about his guys?"

However..... while Rob MacGregor's novel doesn't mention any reaction from Vogel in this scene, it does, earlier, have Vogel be severely upset with Indy for shooting his men in Henry's room at the castle, so him being pissed about having to blast a car full of his guys to bits and then run them over wasn't too far off the mark after all.

AnImaginaryBoy

Tsar said:
WOW... ....

Well I was very young at the time so that's my excuse! And just to lose any creditablity I might have on here, for some reason I got it into my head that Toht was Hitler. Where I got that idea from, I have no idea....:eek:

Agent Z

Kali Mah said:
When I was a kid, I thought Last Crusade was a great movie.

*braces for impact*

I can kinda agree, to a point. I saw LC when I was 18...thought it was a definite letdown..too silly and sitcom-my. I never really bought Sean Connery as Indy's father...I just saw Sean and Harrison acting like father and son.

Still, I left the theater thinking it was "mehhhh"-alright. I considered it a good film.

As the years rolled on, I kinda warmed to Connery in the film but, while it's still a good film, I find myself watching it less and less lately.

Kevin

In ROTLA, when Indy says "Truck, what truck?" I thought he was angry at Sallah for some reason. Not only did Indy have an angry tone, but when he throws the rag down, I thought he was grabbing Sallah's robe.

In TOD, when Indy is shackling Willie to the cage and she says "Are you mad?" , I thought she meant "Are you mad at me, and is that why you're lowering me into hot lava?"

twlightzone1205

oliverjones18 said:
when i was little I threw up when I saw Toht's melting head and i didn't watch raiders again until I was 11. when i first saw raiders i didn't comprehend it cause i was little and i thought they were looking for Noah's ark:)

Ya know, I thought they were searching for Noah's Ark too, when I saw the previews as a kid. I remember thinking it was strange when a movie entitled "The Last Flight for Noah's Ark" was released that same year.

Kooshmeister

Probably because there isn't a lot (in immediate evidence, anyway) to suggest it isn't the same university in both movies.

Uki

It makes you wonder why they didn't just say that it was Marshall College. I didn't know the difference back then either, and I'm certrain most casual viewers don't.

Actually I've never quite got the drinking "contest" between Marion and Belloq... especially his "I grew up with it" confuses me. Does it imply, that he can hold his drink (i.e. drink a lot of it without getting drunk)? Because I still can't make out if Marion's plan to make him drunk (to be able to escape) would've worked (if Thot didn't interrupt the scene).