Misconceptions you had when you first watched the movies

indythecat

When I was a kid I thought that Short Round was Wu Han's son, and that's why Indy took care of him. Then I became old enough to actually listen to the dialogue and not just watch the "cool actiony" parts. In retrospect I should have questioned why Short Round didn't seem too upset to be "newly" orphaned.

Benraianajones

I never got the impression Indy and his dad would live for a long time after drinking from the grail - one misconception I never had!

Darth Vile

michael said:
Like many others, I also thought Indy and his dad could live forever.

I always thought that it was a Spielberg/Lucas vehicle for being able to jump ahead in time if they'd made a follow up to LC within a couple of years. I.e. they could have jumped ahead to the 1950's, 60's and 70's with an explanation as to why Indy and Henry Jones Snr. didn't age.

Kooshmeister said:
However..... while Rob MacGregor's novel doesn't mention any reaction from Vogel in this scene, it does, earlier, have Vogel be severely upset with Indy for shooting his men in Henry's room at the castle, so him being pissed about having to blast a car full of his guys to bits and then run them over wasn't too far off the mark after all.
He was not forced to destroy the car at all, let alone run it over. He could just well have had the tank stopped to then remove ther car.

Finn

Staff member
Mod note

Von Stalhein, please stop reviving age-old threads unless there are new developments to the subjects. Some of the people whose posts you have commented lately haven't even been around in a while.

wolfgang

I did not get that the beginning of Last Crusade was Young Indy, even though his friend calls him Indiana, and even if the mailbox says Jones, or even if Harrison's face shows up right after he is given the hat. Si I didn't get it much until some time....then after learning that he was young Indy I loved it, and started watching it more, until it just became my favorite!

Robyn

wolfgang said:
I did not get that the beginning of Last Crusade was Young Indy, even though his friend calls him Indiana, and even if the mailbox says Jones, or even if Harrison's face shows up right after he is given the hat. Si I didn't get it much until some time....then after learning that he was young Indy I loved it, and started watching it more, until it just became my favorite!

You didn't know that it was young Indy? Until I read this thread I never heard anyone say that!

In ToD, I thought the fingers on the statue were chilis...

-Coronado

My sis thought they were hotdogs! LOL

wolfgang

ronicle said:
You didn't know that it was young Indy? Until I read this thread I never heard anyone say that!

Leave me alone! I was a kid!!....I had some trouble with the english language and still kinda do. (Cries.). Muahahahaha!!! I was a child! I was in love!.....Okay never mind. But yeah, i really did not get it until some time later. Then I got to LOVE it. And I still do. Sure, he gets phobia, whip, scar and hat in ust one day.....but hey! At least we still don't know how he got his leather jacket! ;)

Robyn

wolfgang said:
Leave me alone! I was a kid!!....I had some trouble with the english language and still kinda do. (Cries.). Muahahahaha!!! I was a child! I was in love!.....Okay never mind. But yeah, i really did not get it until some time later. Then I got to LOVE it. And I still do. Sure, he gets phobia, whip, scar and hat in ust one day.....but hey! At least we still don't know how he got his leather jacket! ;)

Hey that's ok, when I was a kid I thought the Folgers coffee commercial was about "soldiers in your cup" LOL

"The best part of waking up, is soldiers in your cup!"

You're right though, it is weird that a lot of Indy's life style is defined in one day! But it is a fun beginning!

DocWhiskey

wolfgang said:
Sure, he gets phobia, whip, scar and hat in ust one day.....but hey! At least we still don't know how he got his leather jacket! ;)

He "stole" an artifact the next day and when that treasure hunter caught him he gave him his jacket. Turns out Indy's not into artifacts at all. He just steals them to see if he could get any free swag for them.

wolfgang

DocWhiskey said:
He "stole" an artifact the next day and when that treasure hunter caught him he gave him his jacket. Turns out Indy's not into artifacts at all. He just steals them to see if he could get any free swag for them.

Yes, I was also getting that impression. I even heard that the next day he stole Scrooge's treasure and he was given the revolver!

DrJones35

I thought there was one Indy film, so as a kid the only one I had was TOD and I kept waiting for the giant boulder to chase him....

wolfgang

DrJones35 said:
I thought there was one Indy film, so as a kid the only one I had was TOD and I kept waiting for the giant boulder to chase him....

Haha, its funny because that was the part I wanted to see the most, since it is the most famous. But when I first saw them, I rented them and saw LD, ToD and lastly Raiders. Ten when the boulder scene happens I was like "That's it? Its pretty short..."

Morning Bell

When I first saw LC as a child I thought Fedora was Indy and I remember being disappointed because it wasn't "the same guy who played Indy in the other films." Fortunately that got straightened out pretty quickly.;)

Mephisto

Finn said:
Von Stalhein, please stop reviving age-old threads unless there are new developments to the subjects. Some of the people whose posts you have commented lately haven't even been around in a while.

I'm not going to lie, this is one thread I am happy got bumped. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. It was hysterical. I laughed so hard about some of the misconceptions. Many of which are easily understandable when you are a kid, but funny non the less.