Misconceptions you had when you first watched the movies

TheDarkCrusader

As a kid, when I first saw Temple of Doom, I used to think Short Round was the same chinese kid in the beginning of Gremlins. The same with Last Crusade, I used to think young Indy was played by the same actor in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

This one's a little embarrassing, for some reason I thought the Maharaja of Pankot was a she and a love interest for Short Round LOL! I was only like 4 or 5 at the time.

The Drifter

TheDarkCrusader said:
As a kid, when I first saw Temple of Doom, I used to think Short Round was the same chinese kid in the beginning of Gremlins. The same with Last Crusade, I used to think young Indy was played by the same actor in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

This one's a little embarrassing, for some reason I thought the Maharaja of Pankot was a she and a love interest for Short Round LOL! I was only like 4 or 5 at the time.

I also thought that the Maharajah was a girl. I thought this up to a few years ago.

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
I also thought that the Maharajah was a girl

Me to!
I also thought that Belloq wasn't at the Ark ritual at the end. I thought that the man in the robes was their 'boss' conducting the ritual. Only half way into it I relised, thats Belloq (I was young though). I also was lead to believe that ToD was so much scarier. Just plain violent, blood and gore sadistic horror, which it wasn't quite. I was wetting myself at the lead up to the heart pulling. (Again... young!):hat:

Johnny Nys

I always thought that the lesson Indy is giving in Raiders, the layout sketch on the blackboard, was about the temple where he found the idol in the prologue.

Errex

ValenciaGrail said:
For the longest time, I thought the line "Adios Satipo" was "Adios Stupido" until I looked at the DVD subtitles.

That happened to me too!. It kinda established pretty early in the film that Indy was a rather mean guy, an impression only reinforced later in the movie when he kind of admits he'd been a jerk to Marion and later still when he (unsporting-like) shoots the Cairo Swordman. It speaks volumes about Ford's charisma that all these apparent gaffes are pretty much forgotten during the rest of the movie.

kongisking

They never did tell the audience that the sherpa Indy is attacked by in the Raven fight is one of Marion's servants mistaking him for an enemy. I always thought he was just another one of Toht's goons (maybe he arrived late!). I only discovered the real story when reading the novelization, and it really annoyed me that there was no hint of this in the finished film.

Insomniac

kongisking said:
They never did tell the audience that the sherpa Indy is attacked by in the Raven fight is one of Marion's servants mistaking him for an enemy. I always thought he was just another one of Toht's goons (maybe he arrived late!). I only discovered the real story when reading the novelization, and it really annoyed me that there was no hint of this in the finished film.
Whoa really.
Ya learn something every day thanks!:hat:

Zeppelin

Col. Detritch said:
I also thought that Belloq wasn't at the Ark ritual at the end. I thought that the man in the robes was their 'boss' conducting the ritual. Only half way into it I relised, thats Belloq (I was young though).

I did the same thing. I guess he just looked...different in the robes getup.

Dr.Jonesy

Zeppelin said:
I did the same thing. I guess he just looked...different in the robes getup.

Those robes made him look fat.
:p

Yeah, it took me a few years to realize that it was Belloq too. Hey, I was 4!
;)

michael

Here's one I had when I was a kid, after seeing Temple of Doom

After Indy is forced to drink the blood of Kali, and he goes through the pain of it taking over his body and mind, he gets up and is grinning --- I thought he was faking it!

JCC1004

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I also thought that the Maharajah was a girl. I thought this up to a few years ago.
Same here. Some of your have seen my Henry sr. topic. I guess that counts as one too.

JCC1004

Katarn07 said:
Lastly, I got in trouble in school for drawing a swastika in 1st grade. I didn't know what it meant. I told them that it was a scene from Indiana Jones! lol
I bet you were getting looks from adults for a while. I accidently ficked the bird in the first grade. I had no clue what I did. It figures some punk black kid knew what I did. The your teacher treat you like crap?
TravisBickle said:
I thought the Shankara stones were potatoes.
:D Funniest one I've seen!

Zeppelin

First time I watched Raiders, the scene on the ship where Marion hits Indy with the mirror: you hear a loud gunshot-type sound along with a scream. For a second, I was like, "did he just get shot or something?"

JCC1004

Katarn07, when I was in first gade i wanted a wallet and my dad was making a paper one and he ask me what I wanted on it. Next thing I knew my dad was calling me neo Nazi and that pissed my mom off.

Team Indy

I didn't know Temple of Doom was a prequel to Raiders until I read this very thread.

I didn't know Toht had a name until I browsed this website's forums.

I didn't know what Dietrich's name was, either, until today, when I was looking at a "Who would win in a fight, Deitrich, Vogel, or Dovchenko" thread?

Likewise, I didn't know what Vogel's name was until recently. My brain must've been turned off when they mentioned his name in LC and the novelization, or else I just forgot it.

A long time ago, I didn't even know that Harrison Ford starred in both the Indy series and the Star Wars trilogy. This was because I didn't grow up with the Indy series, and only watched Raiders once when I was nine. My memories were vague, and I remembered Indy being played by a completely different actor than Harrison Ford. From what I recalled, he sounded too serious and deadpan to be Ford.

Zeppelin

Is Vogel's name ever actually mentioned in Last Crusade? I can't remember.

The prequel thing took me by surprise first time I watched Temple. 1935? So it's before Raiders? I wondered why they did that.

Team Indy

Zeppelin said:
Is Vogel's name ever actually mentioned in Last Crusade? I can't remember.

Yes, I'm sure Elsa or another Nazi soldier or officer addressed him as "Colonel Vogel" at some point during the movie. It'd only make sense.

Zeppelin said:
The prequel thing took me by surprise first time I watched Temple. 1935? So it's before Raiders? I wondered why they did that.

I have no idea. You'd think they'd make Temple before Raiders so as to not cause confusion. Then again, if Marion was in Temple, saving the day would've been too easy, so they had to add a witless bimbo in order to create more suspense. Just a theory.

The Drifter

Team Indy said:
Yes, I'm sure Elsa or another Nazi soldier or officer addressed him as "Colonel Vogel" at some point during the movie. It'd only make sense.

I have no idea. You'd think they'd make Temple before Raiders so as to not cause confusion. Then again, if Marion was in Temple, saving the day would've been too easy, so they had to add a witless bimbo in order to create more suspense. Just a theory.

Yeah, Marion did soooo much in the Well of the Souls. :rolleyes: