Revised
10 March 1983

"Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"
Revised Final Shooting Script
20 July 1983

"Indy III"
Revised Third Draft
01 March 1988

P.S. There are multiple script threads so if any of the mods want to merge this to a better one, then please do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoo

...and it was Mary in the "Crusade" video game diary which makes her: Mrs. Anna Margaret Mary Jones (or perhaps Margaret Mary-Anna Jones).:p

"Oh, wake up, Maggie, I think I've got something to say to yooou..."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
These first two drafts have been available digitally all decade. The later Temple of Doom draft has a few surprises. But every page of Last Crusade has something new to our eyes. The one at theRaider is just a published transcript. Here's a summary from the Complete Making Of book of the draft submitted one week earlier. My favorite setpiece is the gunpowder trail.
INDY III
JEFFREY BOAM
SECOND REVISION
FEBRUARY 23, 1988
Much like the final film, the second revision begins with Indiana Jones as a teenager on a Boy Scout field trip in Colorado, 1912. When he races home with the Cross of Coronado, his dad is on a long-distance phone call concerning an important document. Indy's mother, Margaret, shoos Indy away.
A new character, only referred to in the previous draft, is rich philanthropist Walter Chandler, who tells the adult Indy: "Find the man and you will find the Grail." In Venice, Brody and Indy are introduced to a large Italian family, in whose house Elsa and his father were staying. The family provides comic relief and gives Indy a clue that leads him to the library. Elsa is more of a central character and an ambivalent figure. Her personality is more developed, with her distinguishing characteristic being that she is always eating or snacking on something.
Henry Sr.'s diary is more central to the story—everyone is trying to get it because it's the key to finding the Grail. Indy, Brody, and Elsa go to a basilica, where the priest tells them the library used to be an old church. Indy and Elsa fall through a trapdoor. As they make their way through the catacombs, we learn something new about Indy's father:
INDY: Ha! He never would have made it past the rats! He hates rats! He's scared to death of 'em! (beat) I know. We had one in the basement once. Guess who had to go down there and kill it? And I was only six!
When Indy and Elsa travel to Austria, there is more talking in the car, as they discuss food. The Nazi Vogel makes his first appearance at the castle. Chandler is also now in the castle. Indy escapes with his dad, and, on the road, Henry explains why it's so important to obtain the Grail and his diary, and hence go to Germany instead of rescuing Brody right away:
HENRY: There is an evil loose upon the world, son. Perhaps the greatest evil mankind has ever faced. The only thing that matters is the Grail... and who gets to it first. (beat) I had a lot of time to think while they were holding me in that castle. And I realized that this is why my search has taken so long... because now - at this exact moment in history - is the time to release the Grail's radiance upon the world. Now is the time to shed its light of goodness and wisdom. Of compassion and charity. Now is the time to share its power of healing and immortality, (beat) But if the Grail falls into Nazi hands, its light will be extinguished for all time... and it will be the armies of the Fuhrer who live forever.
Once in Berlin, Indy crosses paths with the notorious Nazi filmmaker-propagandist Leni Riefenstahl, who is trying to shoot a documentary:
LENI: One step forward, please, Mein Fuhrer.
Hitler takes a step back.
LENI: (sighing) All right. That's fine. Everybody else... one step back as well.
They, instead, take one step forward. Leni wants to pull her hair out...
CREW MEMBER: (to Leni) The Fuhrer says, 'No double chin'!

Elsa is about to throw the Grail diary into the bonfire of forbidden texts, but Indy manages to switch books on her before she obliges Hitler and Riefenstahl's camera. Later, as father and son converse on the Zeppelin, Henry confesses that he slept with Elsa, too.
During Indy's fight with the Nazis in the desert, Chandler goes over the side of the cliff on the Nazi tank. He plunges to his death, but Indy—believed dead—has saved himself by cutting off part of his pants:
Indy carries the knife in one hand and his pants— which have been slit from the waist down-gather in a heap around his ankles...
HENRY: I would have missed you, Junior.
SALLAH: Junior?
Indy makes a face, tries to improvise a way of holding up his pants... Sallah laughs even louder-slapping Indy on the back-causing Indy's pants to drop around his ankles again.

Vogel is beheaded in the Grail trials. Then a big gun battle takes place as Kemal tries to blow everyone up so they can't retrieve the Grail; the fight is semi-comic as a trail of gunpowder is repeatedly lit and extinguished. Kemal and all his men are knocked out, with Sallah's help—but Elsa shoots Henry. After Indy locates the Grail room, it is Elsa who drinks from what she believes is the Grail cup—indeed, she is about to shoot Indy when she dies horribly. Henry and Indy cross over the seal with the Grail, provoking an earthquake. Henry almost falls to his death—but he lets the Grail go. The Grail Knight turns into a skeleton as they leave.

Finn

Staff member
Moedred said:
But every page of Last Crusade has something new to our eyes.
Let's call 'em semi-new. While definitely not present in the movie, at least the tidbits with the rat in the cellar and Leni Riefenstahl's appearance are covered in Rob MacGregor's LC novelization.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It's been so long since I've read the novelization. Did Indy and Elsa talk so suggestively? Did his student Hilary grab his package in his office? (Not that package, the other one...)

I had a list of elements and set pieces that could be recycled in future scripts... maybe I could add the emergency pants removal.
http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=361735

Christies Auctioning Denholm Elliott's final shooting script for Indiana Jones And Th

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?pos=8&intObjectID=5270694&sid=

Lot Description
Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, 1988 Denholm Elliott
Denholm Elliott's final shooting script for Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, Story by George Lucus dated May, 8, 1988, signed on the title page in blue ballpoint pen by Denholm Elliott, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford, 126pp. of mimeographed typescript including numerous pages of script revisions, various dates up to 4 August 1988, various pages annotated in black ink in Elliott's hand for his character Marcus Brody; accompanied by a black and white still of Elliott and Spielberg on set 10x8in. (25.5x20.4cm.)

Special Notice
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.

Saleroom Notice
Please note the black and white still described in the catalogue will not be included in this lot. The image is of Elliott and director John Landis on the set of Trading Places, 1983.

Provenance
The Elliott Family

Literature
www.theraider.net

Lot Notes
Denholm Elliott played Marcus Brody, a curator of antiquities, in the first and final parts of the Indiana Jones trilogy. Or as his character has been affectionately described as ...Indiana's bumbling colleague.... Elliott's role was relatively small in the first instalment so he was pleased that his character developed and became a comic linch-pin in the Last Crusade. He commented on the role saying I love comedy, life is too boring and sad without it. . Elliott returned after Spielberg sought to recapture the more light-hearted tone of Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), in comparison to the darker Temple of Doom (1984) which Elliott was absent from.

AnnieJones

Stoo said:
...and it was Mary in the "Crusade" video game diary which makes her: Mrs. Anna Margaret Mary Jones (or perhaps Margaret Mary-Anna Jones).:p

"Oh, wake up, Maggie, I think I've got something to say to yooou..."
I always thought her name was Anna Mary Jones.Oh well.

Stoo said:
An early Christmas gift for all script lovers. The continuity sheets are chock full of cool stuff...

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" Continuity Breakdown
28 May 1980
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2ufntr

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" Release Dialogue Script
08 June 1981
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2subkl

I'm a little concerned about the classroom scene. I don't want to **** on the parade, but can you shed any light on why the dialogue becomes "(Indistinct...)"? I would think the dialogue would be complete.

Which brings up the ugly thought that this is a film student project, to write out such a sheet using a fun film to ease the tedium.

But these are just first impressions...

There are some other issues which suggest someone is composing this while listening to the final cut, but is this a revision, a proof, the way it's done?

Some things are just wrong like Marion's rsponse to Indy asking her if she knows the one he means.

Stoo

Rocket Sugeon said:
There are some other issues which suggest someone is composing this while listening to the final cut, but is this a revision, a proof, the way it's done?
Re: "Raiders of the Lost Ark" Release Dialogue Script
08 June 1981

One dubious detail is the date: June 8th = 4 days before release. What is the purpose of this? (when the film has already been processed and ready to ship?):confused: I'd really like to get to the bottom of this because it would settle a long-term conundrum about a certain bit of dialogue.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
If you google "release dialogue script" you'll find others for sale, usually from Paramount. Maybe they were just anal. I'm guessing it was for sound and picture alignment while making prints. June 8 seems kind of late for that, but remember wide release was still a new concept... Spielberg practically invented it with Jaws.

Wilhelm

I think this is a cutting continuity script.

From a book about the same type of document in "The Magnificient Ambersons":

"In the studio system a cutting continuity was prepared for each film released. It provided the following information in the order indicated: number of the reel holding the contents indicated, duration of individual shots expressed in feet plus additional frames, sequential number of each shot, abbreviated descriptions of the images that appear on the screen and of noise effects or music on the soundtrack, an all dialogue or voiceover narration.

The nature of the information suggests the primary use for which continuities were intended: to allow discret segments of the film to be easily located on the 35 mm reels on which they were mounted. The cutting continuity was mimeographied and copies were included with prints of the film sent out to the regional distribution exchanges. If cuts were ordered after a film was put into release, or if replacement footage was needed for a damaged print, the cutting continuity was the basis for transactions with the exchanges. (...) Cutting continuity were prepared by technical assistants in the studio's editorial department and sent to the typing pool where different secretaries each worked in one reel simultaneously . The procedure was usually handled with breackneck speed, since the time between completion of a finished cut of the film and its first showing requiring backup material (a sneak preview, for instance) might be as little as 3 days."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
That makes more sense: a guide to repairing damaged prints still in circulation. Star Wars ran for over a year and they expected the same for Raiders. These days major films go from 2000 to 1000 screens in a matter of weeks, so replacements (if any) are more likely than repairs.

Stoo

wilhelm said:
The procedure was usually handled with breackneck speed, since the time between completion of a finished cut of the film and its first showing requiring backup material (a sneak preview, for instance) might be as little as 3 days."
Danke/Thanks for the quote, Wilhelm. While the Continuity Breakdown looks bona-fide, it was the Dialogue Release Script that was ambiguous. These 2 documents must have been used in tandem together since the Continuity one doesn't contain any dialogue.
wilhelm said:
If cuts were ordered after a film was put into release, or if replacement footage was needed for a damaged print, the cutting continuity was the basis for transactions with the exchanges.
This indeed did happen in Quebec where after a few weeks of "Raiders" release the entire spikes/Forrestal scene was removed. It went from, "Stay out of the light.", straight to the arrival at the bottomless pit. (The scene was restored for the '82 re-release.)

Anyway, if this is legit, it settles this debate: Satipo vs. Sapito:eek: