Temple of the Forbidden Eye

ForbiddenEye

Deckard said:
They were going to but apparently when Harry showed up to do lines for the ride they tryed to make him do something extra so he walked.
No, the real story is that Disney had a choice: He'd do an ad for the Super Bowl, or he'd do the lines for the ride. He couldn't do both. Disney (in their wisdom) choose the ad.
:mad:

I'm sure WDI wasn't happy with the higher-ups who made that choice.

EyesofMara

I've been on it countless times, the first just within a few months of opening when they were still handing out decoder codes to translate all the Maraglyps while you waited in line

I remember those! Those were fun to do when the ride first opened. The line is kind of running down though, the bamboo stick in the spike room is gone :(

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Found these notes on the net way back, and put them in what I believe is chronological order.
More Abner Ravenwood sightings!
INDIANA JONES & THE FORBIDDEN EYE
Notes on Maps, Rubbings and Drawings:

Temple of the forbidden eye, Lost delta region, India. Discovered by Dr. Indiana
Jones Circa 1935 - Flood debris. It is theorized that the temple was buried in a
flood over 2000 years ago. Much of the temple, however, was built in underground
chambers.

Letters and telegrams in notebook and inside and on wall beside Indy's office:

June 4, 1935
Indy,
Greetings old friend. Here is the missing piece of the temple map! Fortune truly
shines on the pure of heart! (and he who has a brother-in-law in the black
market!) God go with you and I will join you as well.
Sallah

August 10, 1935
Indiana Jones
Lost Delta Encampment,
India
Indy,
So you have found the mysterious temple of the forbidden eye! Congratulations!
But please proceed with caution. Sources in Calcutta tell me this temple of
yours has a darker side. Legend has it that Pilgrims who were lured there with
promises of great gifts were never seen again!
Yours truly,
Abner Ravenwood

Eastern Union Telegram
VH 95 LD=IJ WASH 12 16P
1935 SEPTEMBER 4 PM 302
Professor Indiana Jones, Lost Delta, India
Indy, The samples you sent are warnings stones. Very Important you translate
before entering temple. Repeat--very important.
Abner Ravenwood

Professor Indiana Jones
Sept. 13, 1935
Lost Delta Encampment
India
Indiana, I concur with your findings.
Visitors were lured to the temple with the promises of gifts,
but once they looked into the eyes of the god they were doomed.
I believe you can gain access to the inner temple
if you avoid this trap!
Good Luck
Abner Ravenwood

Indianensis Universitatis Sigillium MDCCCXX
1401 Flower street, Laurence, Indiana
Oct. 1, 1935
Professor Indiana Jones,
Lost Delta Encampment, India
Professor,
Marcus Brody informed us that you have located the temple. We are anxiously
awaiting reports. By the way, an old friend of yours-a Dr. Beloq-called and I
passed along your whereabouts to him. I believe he wants to join you at the
site:
Best of Luck.
Regards-Professor Kauffman.

National Museum
Division of Antiquities
521 Rodier Street
Washington D.C.
October 12, 1935
Indiana Jones
Lost Delta Encampment
India
Dear Indy,
Received the rubbings yesterday. Pictographs tell of gifts -- eternal beauty,
riches, et cetera. But warning in the lower left was added at a much later
date. Something about eyes and death. I can't quite make it out. I'm still
working on it.
George Marshall
Curator
Division of Antiquities
National Museum

June 6, 1936
Lost Delta Encampment, India
Sallah,
Rotten luck Reports of "Temple of the Forbidden Eye" have hit the newspapers and
newsreels. It's shaping up to be the biggest thing since Santa Claus. Counting
on you to control the feeding frenzy until I return. Have deciphered a new map
that may lead to the power source of the temple. I intend to try. Watch out for
that snake Belloq!
Indiana

Sallah,
Today I'm trying out the hidden passage we talked about. I'm convinced it leads
to the "Jewel of Power." I know you wanted to go with me but I need you out here
to keep the tourists in line. If one of them decides to go eyeball to eyeball
with the god, its adios amigo.
Indiana

Mr Sallah
July 3, 1936
Temple Excavation Site
Lost Delta, India
My good man, We are sympathetic to Jones' "grave questions" about the safety of
the site. But we are not prepared to shut it down at this time - Carry on! You
are doing a smashing job getting the tourists through unharmed.
Regards, Col. Blumbard
Attache' to the Consul General
British Colonial Affairs

July 5, 1936
Temple of the Forbidden Eye
Excavation Office
Sallah,
Received your letter detailing Indy's disappearance inside the temple. I am
leaving at once. I suggest you keep the tours running. Perhaps one of them will
locate Indy.
Marcus Brody

Eastern Union Telegram
WDI 95 DL=IJ Glen 721
Lost delta Excavation Site, India
Sallah,
Learned of the news of Indy's disappearance. Study all references to the "gates
of doom." They seem to guard the "Jewel of Power" perhaps Indy made it past the
lethal force of that trap then he would have found the immense cavern where the
Jewel is stored.
Abner Ravenwood

July 12, 1935
Mr. Sallah,
Temple Excavation Site
Lost Delta
India
Indiana,
Greetings, good work cleaning out that infernal spike chamber!
Imagine! We had no idea some of them were poisoned!
Will send an antidote as soon as possible! In the meantime,
please make sure the tourists are not inconvenienced by this
nuisance.
Regards,
Sir I. M. Wooly
British Colonial Affairs

whipcracker666

Thanksfor posting these Moedred,
I've been on the ride several times but am usually hurried through the que too fast to get to read them all. pretty neat.

Snakes

Gotta love that ride. I wish I lived in California so I could go there all the time. One of the few times where waiting on the line is more fun than some entire attractions.

indy_123

phatr32 said:
got a pic of this hat?

I finally got that picture that hat you asked me. Here it is :)

img3739wa1.jpg

xfkirsten

If I recall, Marion's name makes an appearance as well. I believe her name is on a crate in the station area. It's been a couple of years since I've been on it, but I think it was on the unload platform on the left side (when you're facing the same direction as the vehicles). Last I saw, they'd shoved something else in front of it, though, so it was harder to see.

Indy Pendant

I know I'm bringing back an old thread, but I managed to ride this twice within six hours in March 1997, and obviously I absolutely loved it to be riding something at Disneyland twice in one day.

Sparrow

Definitely a must see ride. I had the opportunity to ride it back in July last year and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I'm used to the stunt show in Orlando and this is ten times better. I really wish something like this could make its way down to the Studios. Maybe one day. We shall see.

Until then, I need to find an excuse to head back out to Anaheim. ;)

Michael24

Indy Pendant said:
I know I'm bringing back an old thread, but I managed to ride this twice within six hours in March 1997, and obviously I absolutely loved it to be riding something at Disneyland twice in one day.
I think the most I've ridden it during one visit was 6-7 times. But of course, it helps when you stay at Disneyland all day long from opening to closing, and during the off-season when crowds and lines are less. :)

DrHapgood

xfkirsten said:
If I recall, Marion's name makes an appearance as well. I believe her name is on a crate in the station area. It's been a couple of years since I've been on it, but I think it was on the unload platform on the left side (when you're facing the same direction as the vehicles). Last I saw, they'd shoved something else in front of it, though, so it was harder to see.

I think what you're referring to is a Marion reference, but not her name per se. On some crates in the unload area and the podium stands that house the Advance Consoles (Unload side of the station) there are a few stickers marked "Raven Bar". ;)

xfkirsten

DrHapgood said:
I think what you're referring to is a Marion reference, but not her name per se. On some crates in the unload area and the podium stands that house the Advance Consoles (Unload side of the station) there are a few stickers marked "Raven Bar". ;)

Really? I could have sworn I remember actually seeing her name on it. This was probably about 6-7 years ago that I first noticed it. I always thought it was easiest to spot when you first come into view of the station. Go through the queue's office, then look to the left, on the unload platform, just as the queue does a 180 and heads for the stairs. (If I recall, the crate was on the elevator end of the station, as opposed to where the cars leave station) It was one of the crates there. I wanted to get a picture of it back when I was a freshman in college, but never did. I remember thinking it was odd that her name was so prominent on a crate considering that TOFE takes place before Raiders.

DrHapgood

xfkirsten said:
Really? I could have sworn I remember actually seeing her name on it. This was probably about 6-7 years ago that I first noticed it. I always thought it was easiest to spot when you first come into view of the station. Go through the queue's office, then look to the left, on the unload platform, just as the queue does a 180 and heads for the stairs. (If I recall, the crate was on the elevator end of the station, as opposed to where the cars leave station) It was one of the crates there. I wanted to get a picture of it back when I was a freshman in college, but never did. I remember thinking it was odd that her name was so prominent on a crate considering that TOFE takes place before Raiders.

Maybe you mistook it for the Abner Ravenwood references. :confused:

We have a few of those. There are those telegrams next to Indy's Office, plus I believe there's a crate that says 'Ship to Abner Ravenwood'.

DrHapgood

blueoakleyz said:
the ride in disneyland has a certain smell, anyone know what that is?

I know EXACTLY what you mean and unfortunately have never gotten direct confirmation of what exactly it is. I remember I heard a rumor that it was the garbage bins behind the Temple, but that made no sense cause I've walked outside the entire perimeter and never once caught a whiff of it outside.

I'm pretty sure it's just the smoke effects around the Cavern of Bubbling Death that creates that smell; but then again for some reason I kind of like the smell in the way some people enjoy the smell of gasoline.

Most days I really don't even notice it, but that's probably because you get used to it after having to walk through the entire Temple on a regular basis.