Podcast interview with writer of Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods

paladinb

Hey all,

Even though I've been visiting this site for years I've only just got around to joining this forum but I hope my first post will make up for it.

I co-host a UK podcast called Geek Syndicate. Geek Syndicate is a podcast that celebrates and focuses on all things tv, books,video games, gagdets and comics.

Anyway in our most recent episode (up today) we we're lucky enough to interview Rob Williams the writer of the new Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods Comic from Dark Horse.

Here's the link

http://comicspodcastsuk.wordpress.com/2008/07/11/geek-syndicate-episode-88/

This episode is just under two hours long. It would be great if you listened to the whole episode(I hope you'll find it fun) but if not the interview kicks in around the 1 hr and 8 min mark.

Cheers all and hope you like the interview!

Barry aka paladinb
banner-test-1.jpg

yodazone

Thanks for linking that podcast.

Great to hear that Rob Williams already has plans for the next Indy mini series too!

(y)

DIrishB

yodazone said:
Thanks for linking that podcast.

Great to hear that Rob Williams already has plans for the next Indy mini series too!

(y)

Definitly. If its on par with the first issue of Tomb of the Gods, I'm sure I'll be buying the whole thing. Well, as a hardcore Indy fan I'd buy the whole thing anyway, but at least this way I can buy the whole thing and enjoy it thoroughly. Rob Williams knows what he's doing when it comes to Indy, its only taken one issue to convince me of that.

paladinb

DIrishB said:
Rob Williams knows what he's doing when it comes to Indy, its only taken one issue to convince me of that.

Definately mate I couldn't agree more. I first met rob at a UK comic convention. I was wearing an indy t-shirt which rob liked the look of and after I'd told him where he could pick one up from he dropped in he was writing the new indy comic.

After talking to him then I thought the comic was in good hands(which hasn't always been the case with some of it's past efforts). I thought that even more after our interview with him. This is a writer who not only loves the character but seems to understand to best way represent him in comic form.

We really hope he gets the chance to do his second arc!

DIrishB

paladinb said:
Definately mate I couldn't agree more. I first met rob at a UK comic convention. I was wearing an indy t-shirt which rob liked the look of and after I'd told him where he could pick one up from he dropped in he was writing the new indy comic.

After talking to him then I thought the comic was in good hands(which hasn't always been the case with some of it's past efforts). I thought that even more after our interview with him. This is a writer who not only loves the character but seems to understand to best way represent him in comic form.

We really hope he gets the chance to do his second arc!

If the fans buy the issues of Tomb of the Gods, I'm sure he will. As I said, he knows what he's doing, its just a matter of the issues finding their way into the hands of fans. Money talks, as they say. I've got my fingers crossed...I could read Indy tales from Rob Williams all day long!

yodazone

DIrishB said:
If the fans buy the issues of Tomb of the Gods, I'm sure he will. As I said, he knows what he's doing, its just a matter of the issues finding their way into the hands of fans. Money talks, as they say. I've got my fingers crossed...I could read Indy tales from Rob Williams all day long!

His writing on Star Wars: Rebellion is pretty awesome too. Worth checking out for Star Wars fans. (set in the original trilogy era too)

Yea, it seems like Dark Horse is waiting to see how well this mini-series sells before they anounce anything else. I've seen the Dark Horse October solicits and they're pretty "Indy-less." Maybe the November previews will have something new in the Indy line. (y)

DIrishB

yodazone said:
His writing on Star Wars: Rebellion is pretty awesome too. Worth checking out for Star Wars fans. (set in the original trilogy era too)

Yea, it seems like Dark Horse is waiting to see how well this mini-series sells before they anounce anything else. I've seen the Dark Horse October solicits and they're pretty "Indy-less." Maybe the November previews will have something new in the Indy line. (y)

They'll probably wait to see sales for the second, and maybe even third issues before deciding on whether to publish another mini at this point. There's often a big drop off in sales between the first and second issues (true for both ongoing and mini series) as first issues are collector's items...second issues much less so. ;)

However, I expect the quality, fanbase, and glowing reviews to help sell the issue. I'll try to track down some sales info to see how the issue fared in comparison to the other releases this month. That won't be available till sometime in August or September, though. :rolleyes:

yodazone

I'm curious to see the sales on the "Indiana Jones Adventures" digests too. Those numbers should be out any day now since that was a "June" release.

Though that book might be considered a "graphic novel" release instead of a comic book release on the sales charts.

The charts get posted here when they come out:

http://www.comichron.com/

This site is actually run by John Jackson Miller (writer of the Indy 4 comic adaptation from Dark Horse)

Here's how the Indy 4 adaptations ranked on the May comic charts:

#137 - Indiana Jones/Crystal Skull 1 - $5.99 - Dark Horse - 14,256

#149 - Indiana Jones/Crystal Skull 2 - $5.99 - Dark Horse - 13,126

------------------------------------------------------------------

And the Trade Adaptation scored very well at number 3 on the Trade Paperback charts:

#3 - Indiana Jones/Crystal Skull - $12.95 - Dark Horse - 6,405

(y)

Last edited:

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
There is also an interview with writer Rob Willims on the Indy-Cast from last years ComicCon ,,, the show was on last May.

walker

book store sales

On a related note, here's how the various comic book reprints and other recent books sold in bookstores.

Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 1 has sold 9884 copies in bookstores since pubbing in Jan 08.

Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 2 didn't perform nearly as well, having sold 3027 since June 08.

Indiana Jones Omnibus The Further Adventures Vol. 1 isn't starting off very well, only having sold 297 copies since February. Hmm. Makes me worry for the next two volumes.

Indiana Jones Adventures has sold 6947 since Sept 08.

walker

yodazone

walker said:
On a related note, here's how the various comic book reprints and other recent books sold in bookstores.

Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 1 has sold 9884 copies in bookstores since pubbing in Jan 08.

Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 2 didn't perform nearly as well, having sold 3027 since June 08.

Indiana Jones Omnibus The Further Adventures Vol. 1 isn't starting off very well, only having sold 297 copies since February. Hmm. Makes me worry for the next two volumes.

Indiana Jones Adventures has sold 6947 since Sept 08.

walker

where did you get those numbers?

Here're the Feb. stats for the latest Omnibus that ranked #35 and sold 2,035 to the direct market comic shops:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14519.html

#35 INDIANA JONES FURTHER ADV OMNIBUS TP VOL 01 $24.95 DAR 2,035

I'm wondering if the numbers you posted for the earlier Omnibus books might be re-order numbers which are always lower in the following months during release.

The website has this blurb on their webpage:

* The first two Dark Horse Indiana Jones Omnibus editions have combined to sell over 43,000 copies!

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/15-824/Indiana-Jones-Omnibus-The-Further-Adventures-Volume-1

They still look like pretty decent numbers for reprint material especially since there's barely any kind of promotion for the "Indy" line on Dark Horse's part.

Good numbers

That previous post seemed a bit off, since DH proclaimed the first 2 omnibuses a success. Hopefully the sales of these will justify the continuance of the Indy line.

walker

I have a job in publishing. The numbers quoted come from the industry service that supplies bookstore register sales figures to all publishers. So the numbers represent what bookstores (NOT comic book shops) actually sold of the various Indy books from their respective dates of publication onward.

DIrishB

walker said:
I have a job in publishing. The numbers quoted come from the industry service that supplies bookstore register sales figures to all publishers. So the numbers represent what bookstores (NOT comic book shops) actually sold of the various Indy books from their respective dates of publication onward.

Granted, but thats only a very small slice of the pie. Its the TOTAL numbers that Dark Horse cares about, and its the TOTAL numbers which will decide if future Indy collections are a viable commodity.

walker

Certainly. I was just reporting how the various titles did in bookstores and someone suggested my numbers were off. They aren't, so I thought I should clarify. I didn't say Dark Horse would make a decision to publish or not publish additional works solely based on performance in bookstores.

I did suggest, however, that poor bookstore performance gave me some reason for concern re: the future of Indy editions. This is only because Dark Horse will seriously consider every revenue channel (the TOTAL numbers, as you say) when planning their next project. But my fingers are crossed that they can make it work.

DIrishB

walker said:
Certainly. I was just reporting how the various titles did in bookstores and someone suggested my numbers were off. They aren't, so I thought I should clarify. I didn't say Dark Horse would make a decision to publish or not publish additional works solely based on performance in bookstores.

I did suggest, however, that poor bookstore performance gave me some reason for concern re: the future of Indy editions. This is only because Dark Horse will seriously consider every revenue channel (the TOTAL numbers, as you say) when planning their next project. But my fingers are crossed that they can make it work.

Good point. I'm hoping they continue selling, where ever they're selling from.