Tom Selleck as Fedora?

Ryre Sambere

I was watching the opening sequence story board on the Last Crusade bonus features and noticed that the drawings of Fedora looked very similar to Tom Selleck. Was the part originally for him?

It would have been a nice way to get him into the films to make up for his not getting the role of Indy.

Darth Vile

Agreed - Would have been a great touch (especially as the actor playing 'Fedora' in LC is poor)... But perhaps it would have felt like Selleck was having his nose rubbed in it somewhat.

indyclone25

but it would have made selleck more of the original indy cause he had the hat and jacket and passed it on to the new indy -- just a thought ?

Rayder

I don't think so, LC already had a lot of big name actors in the movie, it really wouldn't have been necessary to add another one

That definitely would have been cool. I wonder if he was ever contacted about it. He seems, to me anyways, like someone who would appreciate the humor and the nice touch that it would have been. I don't know what he would have been involved with at that time, but maybe his schedule would have conflicted? He probably was working on 3 Men and a Baby or something around the time LC was shooting, wasn't he?

It is an interesting thought though. He definitely would have been an upgrade over the guy who ended up playing Fedora. I agree that he wasn't that good. He didn't have many lines, but all but the last one seemed forced and stilted.

Wow, I'm probably the first person to ever reference Three Men and a Baby in The Raven. I hope that won't subject me to disciplinary action.

James

robisindy said:
I don't know what he would have been involved with at that time, but maybe his schedule would have conflicted? He probably was working on 3 Men and a Baby or something around the time LC was shooting, wasn't he?

Selleck had just completed Magnum p.i. in 1988 and was heavily focused on a film career. He had two films released in 1989 (Her Alibi; An Innocent Man), so his schedule was pretty full when LC was filming.

After Three Men and a Baby was a hit, Selleck returned to do a half season of Magnum p.i. Since he had made the decision to quit the show so late in the season, he felt guilty for leaving his co-stars without a job. As a result, he risked missing the chance to strike while the (box office) iron was hot. So a brief cameo probably wouldn't have seemed like the best follow-up at the time. (He had already used one of the final episodes of Magnum to pay tribute to 'what could've been', with a great parody episode titled, "Legend of the Lost Art".)

But honestly, I'm not really sure audiences would've gotten the joke anyway. For most people, it would've just been odd to see Magnum p.i. suddenly appear (and quickly disappear) in an Indiana Jones movie. :confused:

Uki

I always thought it would be cool to cast Sellck in an Indy movie as a rival archaeologist or villain of some sort. Or, they could use him (in a photo or even a flashback) as Abner. (I dislike that idea though because of the idea that Wilford Brimley was used as reference for Abner in an unpublished comic, and I like Brimley a lot.)

Oh, and Tom Selleck needs to be cast as Man-At-Arms in a MOTU flick.