Teaser Trailer on Superbowl Sunday? Poof.

rowerguy7

TAKEN FROM: http://www.chiff.com/a/super-bowl-commercials.htm

"Approximately $2.7 million is being spent per 30-second commercial spot in 2008 by major U.S. companies hoping to hit it big this Super Bowl Sunday.

Facing ever-increasing ad spends, GoDaddy.com had announced last August that they would be bowing out of Super Bowl XLII. The company later reversed its decision in November — to the great relief of hot-blooded fans of GoDaddy girl Candice Michelle.

Also back for its first Super Bowl since 2003, Gatorade plans this year to push their new product lines including low calorie "G2" and "Gatorade Tiger" - named for golfing great Tiger Woods who reportedly picked out all the flavors himself.

On the flip side of the food chain, KFC also gets in the game by offering the first player who performs the CHICKEN DANCE IN THE END ZONE a chance to contribute $260,000 in his name to the Colonel's Scholars program. However, marketing gurus say that NFL officials object to the obvious effort to undermine the dignity of the game and are NOT AMUSED.

Along with Bud, Pepsi, and other mainstays, Cars.com is also joining the Super Bowl bandwagon for the first time in 2008 with the biggest ad campaign in their history. And, for the first time since 1999, Victoria's Secret is back to 'push' their Valentine's Day ad campaign.

Meanwhile, as you're heating up the wings and chili, don't forget the popcorn. This year also promises the biggest ever spent by the movie studios (a.k.a.,"Sneak Preview Sunday") including plans to air a half dozen commercials for Hollywood films during the game. "

So, after looking at this article, what 2008 movies are being released after the Super Bowl that are considered "big" enough to earn a $2.7 million dollar 30- second spot during the game?

1) Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
2) Iron Man
3) The Dark Knight
4) Speed Racer
5) The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
6) The Incredible Hulk
7) Hancock
8) Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
9) James Bond (Quantum of Solice)
10) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
11) Star Trek
12) 10,000 BC

Ok, so now, looking at these films, which have actually completed enough production to have an actual Trailer or Teaser Trailer put together?
Certainly Indiana Jones 4. And we've all probably seen trailers for Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Speed Racer, Hancock, Narnia, Hellboy, Star Trek, and 10,000BC.

It is also unlikely that Bond 22, The Incredible Hulk, or Harry Potter would have enough footage filmed to have a trailer or teaser.

Now, even further on, the NFL playoff season was in fact sponsored by Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. All the other movies have trailers released and in theaters that have enough filming done, so why pay that money to debut it during the Super Bowl? I'm sure we can expect to see a few of them again, but with so many other spots for movies available, it seems logical that a trailer for KOTCS will appear during the Super Bowl.

I'm not saying that a KOTCS trailer wont be attached to the Spiderwick Chronicles, it probably will be. But why can't its international debut be during the Super Bowl and its theater debut be with Spiderwick Chronicles? Who ever said a trailer can only be released with a movie?

Who agrees with me that this makes sense?(y)

rowerguy7

i've read it other places too, this was the only site I could find to back up my info. But they've been talking about Super Bowl ads in a few magazines and newspapers I've read and have stated that this Super Bowl will have the most Hollywood involvment than any other.

Blue Jay

as much as i would love to see a teaser / trailer, i highly doubt it.
It would be weird to show a 30 sec spot without having a teaser before hand.

But as it seems that with indy 4 the marketing is really out of whack, so this could be quite a possibility.

But that is just a little fanboy wishing!!!!!!!

rowerguy7

they can buy up more than 30 sec. though, I was just saying that for 30 seconds of on air time, it would cost 2.7million. they could by the full minute for 5 million. that would be worth it... (maybe) lol

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
rowerguy7 said:
I'm not saying that a KOTCS trailer wont be attached to the Spiderwick Chronicles, it probably will be. But why can't its international debut be during the Super Bowl and its theater debut be with Spiderwick Chronicles? Who ever said a trailer can only be released with a movie?

Who agrees with me that this makes sense?(y)

Technically the Superbowl commercials are not shown worldwide when they air the Superbowl. They only show the Superbowl with that country's commercials. At least, that's what happens down here. It will be more like exposure through the international news shows, than actually seeing the spot. Thank God for Youtube in which case.

Mutt Williams

You're still speculating. I thought when you say "proof" you mean something confirmed. Sigh.

rowerguy7 said:
But why can't its international debut be during the Super Bowl and its theater debut be with Spiderwick Chronicles? Who ever said a trailer can only be released with a movie?

What? What superbowl? A giant bowl of soup?

90% of the world don't know what superbowl is, and even I just knew about this after we've talking about the trailer. It's just an American event, it's not the Olympics. Most who watch it outside America are Americans anyway. Plus, I don't think each country will have the same commercials.

Football only in America, but the rest of the world we call it rugby. Soccer only in America, but the rest of the world we call it football.

But still, I hope you're right, because I'm so can't wait for the trailer, even in crappy YouTube.

HFFan

rowerguy7 said:
they can buy up more than 30 sec. though, I was just saying that for 30 seconds of on air time, it would cost 2.7million. they could by the full minute for 5 million. that would be worth it... (maybe) lol

I'd be curious to know what it costs to put a 30 second teaser with a theatrical release as opposed to a onetime shot with the Superbowl. Anyone know?

Actually 2.7 million seems like a 'drop in the bucket' for a marketing campaign, for a big budget blockbuster.

I certainly would love to see a teaser on Sunday, but I'm a little doubtful because we haven't heard anything yet. You would think they'd want to make an announcement beforehand to raise interest.

notimeforlove

Mutt Williams said:
You're still speculating. I thought when you say "proof" you mean something confirmed. Sigh.

What? What superbowl? A giant bowl of soup?

90% of the world don't know what superbowl is, and even I just knew about this after we've talking about the trailer. It's just an American event, it's not the Olympics. Most who watch it outside America are Americans anyway. Plus, I don't think each country will have the same commercials.

Football only in America, but the rest of the world we call it rugby. Soccer only in America, but the rest of the world we call it football.

But still, I hope you're right, because I'm so can't wait for the trailer, even in crappy YouTube.

There will be over a 100 million people watching the superbowl. If 50 million of those people went to see indiana jones at 10 dollars a pop then that would be 500 million dollars in ticket sales. Now i know that 50 million people likely wouldnt go see it, but the superbowl is the single biggest audience probably in the history of television in the US and it has been for some time.
It is the most ideal and perfect time to display a teaser of some sort and/or what they did with with T3 an opening intro by Arnold. I will tell you now Spiderwick will not have even a remotely similar size audience that the superbowl does and imo is an extremely terrible marketing idea.

Does anyone agree with me?

and again Tom Brady's 4th Superbowl? Harrison Fords 4th Indy????? hmmmmmmmm marketing tie-in fantastico if you ask me.

MattJones

As cool as that would be, it contradicts the plethora of evidence that suggest that the trailer debuts with The Spiderwick Chronicles.

Indy4fan

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZlA6XdFM4o&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZlA6XdFM4o&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

We may see something similar to this--1997 Star Wars SE Superbowl Ad.

Maybe an Indy re-release ad? (y)

IrishLuck1980

It makes total sense that the trailer be attached to the Superbowl. But right now, the fact that we are less then 6 months away from release and we haven't even gotten a Teaser confuses the hell out of me. Indiana Jones IV is on par with Star Wars Episode I to alot of people. One can hope it will be on the Superbowl because I will be recording it in HD and if I can get Indiana Jones IV in HD, I will be happier then a pig in sh i t!!!