Young Indy could have been a disaster

Adamwankenobi

Recently, I've read the book The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, On the Set and Behind the Scenes (which, in addition to the documentary Young Indy: Around the World, provides a surprising amount of information). It deals with the production of the series' first season, from its conception to final filming. Aside from a few bumps, it seems to have been a rather smooth production.

This got me thinking about a couple of films that have had extremely troubled productions (ex. Lawrence of Arabia, Star Wars, Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner). I think it could have been very easy for YIJC to have gone out of control due to all of the logistics of location shooting. So I think the show's producer Rick McCallum deserves a big pat on the back for doing such a great job keeping the show on schedule and on budget. :)

tupogirl

Yep!! Even though it went 'well', they still had food poisoning and some strange accidents. But I'm so glad they did it.

Indy Smith

The films you mentioned that had problems did very well and have become classic. They say the more problems you get on a shoot the better the films are :p Well probably not the case in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Apparantly a relatively smooth shoot with very few problems compared to spielbergs other movies.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy Smith said:
The films you mentioned that had problems did very well and have become classic. They say the more problems you get on a shoot the better the films are :p Well probably not the case in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Apparantly a relatively smooth shoot with very few problems compared to spielbergs other movies.

Except for everybody having dysentery. Poor John Rhys-Davies filled his jalabah.

Indy Smith said:
They say the more problems you get on a shoot the better the films are :p Well probably not the case in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Apparantly a relatively smooth shoot with very few problems compared to spielbergs other movies.

Well we would do good to consider the not oft-quoted problems:

The Flying Wing parked on Harrison's knee
The Waco Sea Plane crashing with Harrison on-board
Terry Leonard running over the Arab child during the Truck Chase
Kubrick burning down the stage 5 at Elstree
Kubrick's daughter calling the RSPCA because the snake were "abused"
Expired venom anti-serum
The Water Riot at the Tannis Diggs

...the list goes on, just thought I'd mention them since I never see anyone else mention them.:hat:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Well we would do good to consider the not oft-quoted problems:

The Flying Wing parked on Harrison's knee
The Waco Sea Plane crashing with Harrison on-board
Terry Leonard running over the Arab child during the Truck Chase
Kubrick burning down the stage 5 at Elstree
Kubrick's daughter calling the RSPCA because the snake were "abused"
Expired venom anti-serum
The Water Riot at the Tannis Diggs

...the list goes on, just thought I'd mention them since I never see anyone else mention them.:hat:

'The Complete Making of...' book reads like a catalogue of disasters, and it was incredible that they actually did manage to complete Raiders in such a short time. I guess that's what comes from getting a great team together.