Special Edition Truck Chase?

Darth Vile said:
ResidentAlien,

I believe you are mistaken. He clearly says "father" (not "facker"), and it's also "father" in the subtitles...

I'm not mistaken. He even says so in the documentary footage they had online before the Final Cut came out.

And trust me... very clear "facker" in the cinema. Even my father heard it and it was his first time seeing the film. Facker.

*EDIT*

Did they change it back? I just pulled that scene up on the 5-disc DVD set and it is "father." First time I've popped these new DVDs in. Definitely know it wasn't Father in the theater. I had a long discussion with my friend about that line after seeing it...

...Perhaps it was facker in the Director's Cut? I'll have to check later... I know somewhere it was Facker.

EDIT 2:

I want more life, father.

* Apparently actor Rutger Hauer was asked to deliberately give a combination pronunciation ****er/father so it could be heard as either [1]

From wikiquote...

I'm thinking it must be slurred in the Director's Cut. I'll check it out later.

Last edited:

DaveTheHutt

"Facker"?!?! What the hell does *that* mean? So Ridley wanted to keep the scene ambiguous and give it more depth by using a made-up non-sensical word... *right*!!! LOL!!!

DaveTheHutt said:
"Facker"?!?! What the hell does *that* mean? So Ridley wanted to keep the scene ambiguous and give it more depth by using a made-up non-sensical word... *right*!!! LOL!!!

How is it that ambiguous? It just gives the character a duality. And it's exactly the sort of thing Ridley would do. Because he's NOT James Cameron, see? Ridley understands the importance of character depth and development.

Darth Vile

Like I said before, it's largely irrelevant whether it?s "father", "facker"... It's more to to do with the point that Ridley is not behind on revising his own movies (and wether one thinks he does it better than Lucas/Spielberg is pretty much subjective).

Darth Vile said:
Like I said before, it's largely irrelevant whether it?s "father", "facker"... It's more to to do with the point that Ridley is not behind on revising his own movies (and wether one thinks he does it better than Lucas/Spielberg is pretty much subjective).

The point is that Ridley provides access to the original films whereas Lucas does not. (And yes I know about the 2006 Star Wars DVDs--I own them; they're ****. ****ty transfer and crammed on the same disc as an X-Box game, unceremoniously labeled as an "extra." Utter rip-off.)

Ridley revises, and yes it's subjective whether his revisions were needed. But Ridley doesn't try and destroy all trace of the prior film and that's where Ridley gets my respect and Lucas does not. Those Star Wars DVDs seem like a clear attempt by Lucas to turn people off of the original versions once and for all.

Darth Vile

You don't really believe Ridley Scott gives a s*it about whether the general public can get to see, what he believes are, the inferior versions of Blade Runner??? It's not for Scott to "provide access" (he doesn't own the rights). I know, like me, you are opinionated, but a box set of Blade Runner variations is just as much a marketing ploy as anything Lucasfilm has pulled. I mean, as much as I love Ridley Scott movies, the guy already put his name to a ‘Director’s Cut’ (and not for the 1st time)… he could have said screw you Warner Bros. but he didn't.... he said show me the f**king money. Good luck to him I say, but you are being spinned like a top my friend if you believe Scott to be some bastion of marketing ethics whilst on the other hand demonizing Lucas.

Darth Vile said:
You don't really believe Ridley Scott gives a s*it about whether the general public can get to see, what he believes are, the inferior versions of Blade Runner do you? It's not for Scott to "provide access" (he doesn't own the rights). I know, like me, you are opinionated, but a box set of Blade Runner variations is just as much a marketing ploy as anything Lucasfilm has pulled. I mean, as much as I love Ridley Scott movies, the guy already put his name to a ‘Director’s Cut’ (and not for the 1st time)… he could have said screw you Warner Bros. but he didn't.... he said show me the f**king money. Good luck to him I say, but you are being spinned like a top if you believe Scott to be some bastion of marketing ethics whilst on the other hand demonizing Lucas.

Keep telling yourself that.

Learn some history first. Ridley was NEVER satisfied with Blade Runner and the narration was tacked on at Studio's insistence. The director's cut was cut for him by notes because Warner wanted it rushed out and he was busy with Thelma and Louise. The Final Cut is his vision. How ugly your world must be if you're that jaded to completely discredit artistic integrity. Artists do still exist in this world whether you want to believe it or not.

And furthermore, if it were such a great marketing ploy, why doesn't Lucas take the hint? People have only been screaming at him for 10 years to release the proper originals. And a limited run, slopped together DVD doesn't count. The thing was on the market for how long? A few months?

Blue Jay

is there any chance of getting a screenshot? i am really interested in seeing this revised scene.

i have nothing against "tampering" with the movies i love.
i can always go back and watch the version i like the most.

IT IS STILL A CHOICE.

after years of watching the same movie again and again, i welcome subtle variations or improvements in the effects. from time to time i like experience this movie as a whole new movie.

i had this experience when the trilogy arrived on dvd. the picture quality and sound was a vast improvement and i could enjoy the movie toally different.

if there are scenes touched up, i am fine with it.

that doesnt say i will always love it, when they do that but it will always be interested to see that.

Darth Vile

ResidentAlien,

I keep attempting to give you the benefit of the doubt, but the more I do, the more you undermine your own argument. You were, a couple of posts back, trying to argue that Roy Batty says ?facker? instead of ?father?. Your arrogant response in that post alone (even though you have been proven wrong on the point) sums up your general attitude to conversing.

I?ll state this again for the slow witted? It?s irrelevant whether the voice over was by studio insistence or not? that?s the version of the movie that was first released, that?s the version that won the acclaim and that?s the version that is now part of movie history (or was). Get it? That?s the whole point that Star Wars SE haters are always trying to argue. I don?t agree with them, but I understand their point completely. You either buy into an artist having the right to alter their work or not. You can?t pick or choose based on your own subjective opinion.

Hey **** you buddy. I gave you ****ing proof tentative as wiki may be. Ridley Scott directed the scene exactly as I said he did so **** off.

And the fact that I'd have enough balls to admit that I may not be entirely correct is more of a man than you could ever be.

Get it straight--you're wrong/

Christ, ****in' half-wit newbies with a chip on their shoulder. There's a lot of your kind and more coming in and you're all more ****ing stupid than the last.

And Blade Runner was an initial failure. It wasn't until years later that anyone even looked at it. It wasn't until laser disc came around and they were looking to re-release it that it got any acclaim--that's why it why Warner wanted it recut in the first place. Christ, just spouting off half-witted **** without backing anything.

We're done.

Last edited:
I remember when Blade Runner aired on CBS 20 years ago they had the scene where Batty says "I want more life...father." I was shocked because I was wondering how they were going to cut before the obscenity but then I was pleasantly surprised because it actually made much more sense. I actually prefer it said that way over the obscenity because it is much more poetic.

Travis85

I just did a side by side comparison with Raiders playing on my tivo, and my dvd of raiders playing on my pc :p. I can't really tell if it is CG or not....I can tell it definately looks better on the USA version. I don't know if it is CG, or if they just cleared it up real well, but it looks more real, like the truck is really in the scene in the USA version, rather than added in later.

Crack that whip

Raiders112390 said:
Why does everyone seem to like Old Indy? I thought the Old Indy bookends were really cheesy and made the show kind of sucky, whereas without him it's classic. George Hall had this almost British sounding accent, not like Indy would sound like at all. Though he did look very much like a 90 year old Indy would. And they haven't aged well; every bad 90's fashion, hairstyle and item of clothing is very visible in the book-ends.

To appreciate what the bookends do for the show it's not even necessary to like the actual bookends themselves (though some of us do). What's really important about them is the contextual framing effect they provided for the rest of the show benefited it. Sometimes a scene warrants inclusion not simply because it's a neat scene, but simply because it affects the rest of the show / movie in some desirable way (and at the same time, there are often cool scenes that get dropped from movies and TV shows even though they're great on their own, because they disrupt the rhythm of the overall movie or something similar).

Way of the dodo

It's interesting, the Father/F--er scene in Blade Runner has always existed both ways, it was "father" in the earliest workprint and now the latest cut 25 years on.
With Lucas, he has the right to do what he wants obviously, but he can't take the "pure artistic integrity of my vision" bullcrap stance, not with a Vader Mr. potato head and Star Wars Family Guy sitting on the store shelf.

Just wait until Lucas releases the restored Han Shoots First scene and markets it to the fans "because you demanded it, one last time, the way it was originally meant to be seen." It's all just a marketing gimmick to milk the fans out of more money. It's become a big joke even for Lucas. That's why he's wearing the Han Shot First T-shirt in all of the publicity shots for KOTCS.